So I wasn't paying complete attention, and I opened up what I thought was Google maps, and I realized about 2 hours and 10-15 addresses later that I wasn't using Google maps, I was indeed using BlackBerry Maps.

This software is much improved over the 10.0 offering, and needless to say, Google Maps is now deleted from my phone.

If you have been using Google maps over BlackBerry Maps, I suggest you give it a shot. I'm EXTREMELY happy with it, and I'm usually an insatiable *******.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 11:16 AM
    Anytime I have used maps I have it to get me were I'm going with no issue.
    jsmenard1 likes this.
    07-06-14 11:30 AM
    The issue isnt so much that is would give bad directions or anything. Its just barebones without some features i think
    Kemir and Blacklatino like this.
    07-06-14 11:44 AM
    I like BlackBerry maps but sometimes in new areas developed in Ontario BlackBerry doesn't have the data so i use Google to fill the void

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 11:45 AM
    I stopped using BlackBerry maps. But I'm glad that you find it useful.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 12:22 PM
    I use NavFree but have never found issue with BlackBerry Maps. It's not that bad.

Posted via CB10
    EchuOkan1 likes this.
    07-06-14 02:08 PM
    IMO, the nav animation is much smoother on BB Maps than Google. There's a jerky movement to GMaps. I also prefer the voice in BBMaps.

I do wish they would add Alternate Routes as a feature. It worked great in BB Traffic.
    07-06-14 05:27 PM
    I like BlackBerry maps but sometimes in new areas developed in Ontario BlackBerry doesn't have the data so i use Google to fill the void

Posted via CB10
    All the mapping is done by tom tom. Unfortunately BlackBerry has little say what areas are added to the maps

The GIF Exchange C001B7B16?
    slade632 likes this.
    07-06-14 05:29 PM
    Still using Google Maps at the moment as it gives me directions when I take the public transportation. Which BlackBerry Maps doesn't give.

an addict ever since my first 8900
    Melinium and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    07-06-14 05:31 PM
    The only reason I have Google maps is that I have a job where I receive this as a text.

latitude = 47.83469
    longitude = -84.30217

Which I enter as "47.83469,-84.30217"

And when I search on Google Maps it finds the location with no problem. BlackBerry Maps can't do that yet. But if any of you know how to send this info to whomever might could add this functionality to BlackBerry Maps. I would also happily delete Google Maps from my app selection on my Q!!!

Secret squirreling with my Q. DPI Private Investigations ?C0001FE5D ?
    tgtallinn and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    07-06-14 05:48 PM
    Still using Google Maps at the moment as it gives me directions when I take the public transportation. Which BlackBerry Maps doesn't give.

This is the reason I have Google Maps installed on my Q10 as well. Google Maps doesn't just give driving directions; it also gives public transportation directions with exact times (it even includes walking time to stops and stations), biking directions, and walking directions.

BlackBerry Maps may very well be very good for driving directions, but it's severely lacking in every other department.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-06-14 05:55 PM
    I use NavFree but have never found issue with BlackBerry Maps. It's not that bad.

Posted via CB10
    Agree. I use it all the time and have not had bad experiences at all.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:01 PM
    The issue isnt so much that is would give bad directions or anything. Its just barebones without some features i think
    Fair statement. It is perfect for me the way it is.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:17 PM
    So I wasn't paying complete attention, and I opened up what I thought was Google maps, and I realized about 2 hours and 10-15 addresses later that I wasn't using Google maps, I was indeed using BlackBerry Maps.

This software is much improved over the 10.0 offering, and needless to say, Google Maps is now deleted from my phone.

If you have been using Google maps over BlackBerry Maps, I suggest you give it a shot. I'm EXTREMELY happy with it, and I'm usually an insatiable *******.

Posted via CB10
    A tip is to use Foursquare or Driveopedia for POI

The reason why I live BlackBerry maps is because it actually looks like a gps (garmin/tom tom) with the turn by turn.

I haven't seen any other maps app like it they are all in birds eye view

BlackBerry maps is pretty featureless but with the poi trick, it makes it much better

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:24 PM
    I will happily go back to BlackBerry Maps when it has walking and transit directions.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 06:41 PM
    Directions are great, but searching is terrible on BlackBerry maps.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-06-14 07:11 PM
    When in navigation, is it possible to scroll the map in BBMaps? Sometimes I like to scroll ahead to see where it's taking me or if there's another road that I can take, but I don't know how in BBMaps

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 07:16 PM
    I think BlackBerry maps is excellent

Differentiate or Die
    07-06-14 07:17 PM
    When in navigation, is it possible to scroll the map in BBMaps? Sometimes I like to scroll ahead to see where it's taking me or if there's another road that I can take, but I don't know how in BBMaps

Posted via CB10
    Just hit the curvy overview button on the bottom. Takes you to the whole map of your trip. Scroll and zoom as you wish. Tap the back button to return to navigation.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.2039
    Marauder2 and anon(5597702) like this.
    07-06-14 07:34 PM
    I will happily go back to BlackBerry Maps when it has walking and transit directions.

Posted via CB10
    What you said.

07-06-14 07:45 PM
    I always use BlackBerry maps and to be honest it hasn't let me down but it all depends on your area. Sometimes it can have a delay which is no good when your doing a turn by turn navigation. This isn't so much BlackBerry maps but is the distance you are between masts and the quality of the masts. Some for instance only provide basic level services which means a delay.

I also think sometimes the voice on the maps can be a little overpowering like: in half a mile turn left, get ready to turn left, turn left at the next junction. This is a little too much and can add to confusion, specially if she also detects heavy traffic etc. Sometimes I would just turn the voice off.

Other than that BlackBerry maps is good but is by no means a replacement for a proper SatNav.
    07-06-14 07:54 PM
    If you have been using Google maps over BlackBerry Maps, I suggest you give it a shot.
    Would really help if you could also let us know where exactly you are based out of. BB Maps in India has come a long way but still has some ways to go. I would love to be able to have a BB with Maps that blow my mind

LP&HG
    07-06-14 09:12 PM
    Great title! Inspired me to try BlackBerry maps again...I honestly haven't used it since the initial release os.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:18 PM

I also think sometimes the voice n the maps can be a little overpowering like: in half a mile turn left, get ready to turn left, turn left at the next junction. This is a little too much and can add to confusion, specially if she also detects heavy traffic etc. Sometimes I would just turn the voice off.

Other than that BlackBerry maps is good but is by no means a replacement for a proper SatNav.
    You can substitute voice with tone notifications in the settings. In such mode it won't pronounce street names.

Another mode I found interesting is to turn the screen off on a long road. It saves battery and doesn't distract the driver. Just press power button while maps is in foreground and listen for turn-by-turn guidance.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:41 PM
    Only thing I like in the Google maps that isn't implemented into BlackBerry Maps is the different method of travel you can choose from. Like the bus travel will tell you what buses you need and how long it will take to reach to reach the destination. Or even trains, or a combination of walking, trains and buses. I find that it's a really good idea and most of the time, really useful

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:41 PM
74 123