To be honest I would see this as an issue if I didn't routinely see this behavior with desktop Firefox and chrome. Both have memory leaks if I leave them open for extended periods of time and just open and close tabs.

I would expect chrome to behave similarly to the BB10 browser as both are website based. I have seen the behavior described where after extended use without entirely closing the browser it gets slow and starts to reload almost all the tabs open. I just set it to reopen everything as was when I last closed and restart the browser. That's my solution. I've just grown to accept the issue as a general browser issue. The irony is Internet Explorer seems to be the only bulletproof browser for me right now.

Posted via CB10
    Hm, never seen that on Windows 7. I work on 3 screens, each with IE, Firefox, Chrome. Sometimes each browser will have 20+ tabs open (I know I know, I am a resource hog). The reason why tabs don't reload on Desktop OS generally is the amount of RAM + page file.

Speaking of page file (SWAP), I don't think BB10 or Android has that, and if I am right, why not?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 07:20 AM
    A leak is memory that's never released because it hasn't been allocated / freed / kept track of correctly.

Nothing I've read in this thread suggests a genuine leak, just a memory management strategy that some people don't agree with.

Hard to please everybody

(No doubt there are plenty of actual leaks in modern browsers of course, this just isn't good evidence that's the cause)
    09-26-14 08:48 AM
    OK, mods please change the title. Why is everyone so picky about the "leak" term?

OK, it's not a memory leak as per the programming language dictionary, a problem still exists though.

The fact that the browser behaves different ways during different stages of the app but with same current conditions is the proof.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 09:02 AM
    OK, mods please change the title. Why is everyone so picky about the "leak" term?

Posted via CB10
    Because without agreeing on what words mean, they become useless for communication.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:16 AM
    Because without agreeing on what words mean, they become useless for communication.

Posted via CB10
    Same result when people don't read till the end. The word "Leak" only exists in the title.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 11:06 AM
    Flash is the issue but I am looking into it.

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully one of your always opened tabs is not CrackBerry itself. I have an issue now with Chrome on my PC gobbling RAM if I leave CrackBerry open long enough. Seems to be a Flash issue since Flash often crashes out and Chrome tells me. Sometimes I have to kill the chrome.exe process it gets so bad. The other day a single browser instance was using 1.5GB of RAM before I killed it.

So maybe it is the site you are always using and not the OS.?
    09-26-14 11:22 AM
    Your header is clickbait that exaggerates the scale of the problem for attention.

If you'd said "Help, Browser Closing Sites" or something similar I'd have had a lot more sympathy - it's irritating when things don't work as you'd like - but I still attempted to understand what your real issue is, as have other people.

It isn't a massive systemic problem as you wanted people to believe in your title, but you've still had help and attention. If you can't be bothered to be accurate and consistent in your terms and believe it's other people's responsibility to decode it, you're entitled to your opinion, just as I'm entitled to ignore it.
    Joshu42 likes this.
    09-26-14 12:57 PM
    Same result when people don't read till the end. The word "Leak" only exists in the title.

Posted via CB10
    Well, not really. The word is in the title in the appropriate context for the programming meaning. What you are saying here is that people shouldn't be upset when someone uses an inflammatory title that isn't justified by the content. I can't agree with that.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:41 PM
    I am glad I didn't become a software coder - you tell them it doesn't perform right and they keep telling you it's bug free.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 08:10 PM
    This is the importance of dialog, if we keep talking, we find things to agree on; I am also glad you didn't become a software coder.
    Joshu42 likes this.
    09-27-14 02:12 AM
    I am glad I didn't become a software coder - you tell them it doesn't perform right and they keep telling you it's bug free.

Posted via CB10
    You have described conditions under which you want the code to behave a different way. If you were the person setting the specifications then you could claim it is a bug. Since you're not what you have here is a backhanded feature request. The people who know how the system works are just telling you how implementation of that request would negatively impact the performance of the code. That is one of the most important jobs a coder has. If you become a coder that is a lesson you will learn early or not be successful.

Posted via CB10
    DocDRM, mrsean2k and Davidro1 like this.
    09-27-14 05:19 AM
    Thanks, already have a second phone. Thinking of adding a third. Went today to see the 3GB RAM LG G3 - the "smart thing" had over 1GB of free memory and still reloaded web pages and apps. I don't get it, why no one can make a true multitasking phone. BB10 is the best we get so far but still isn't perfect. Ah how i miss Maemo
    Jolla sailfish or check Amazon. Still some new N9's for sale

Posted via CrackBerry App
    09-27-14 05:49 AM
    Hm, never seen that on Windows 7. I work on 3 screens, each with IE, Firefox, Chrome. Sometimes each browser will have 20+ tabs open (I know I know, I am a resource hog). The reason why tabs don't reload on Desktop OS generally is the amount of RAM + page file.

Speaking of page file (SWAP), I don't think BB10 or Android has that, and if I am right, why not?

Posted via CB10
    SWAP writes to disk very often. Flash memory has limited durability and you could wear out your phone's memory by using it as a sort of ram. Some people (myself included) disable SWAP when they run SSDs.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 08:03 PM
    SWAP writes to disk very often. Flash memory has limited durability and you could wear out your phone's memory by using it as a sort of ram. Some people (myself included) disable SWAP when they run SSDs.

Posted via CB10
    I did that as well, as i've got 16gb or RAM.
    However, I wouldn't mind burning microSD cards every quarter for better multitasking. The real problem might be speed through.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:42 AM
    Saw another thread which reminded me of this one -
    I still have this problem and I can see it is even worse and super annoying on 10.3.1.

The browsers reports up to 350 MB RAM in device manager (sometimes with only one tab open currently) and when killing it actually frees up more (like 500).

Basically, through out the day, when I open [many] tabs and later on close it, browser doesn't frees the RAM for those closed tabs.

For the smart ones above, if this wasn't a leak, I wouldn't be getting the "Low memory warnings " and I get those almost daily. Flash is gone and this problem still exists.

Wouldn't be that bid of deal if the browser wasn't logging me out from the sites of logged in to after restarting it.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 04:52 AM
    Saw another thread which reminded me of this one -
    I still have this problem and I can see it is even worse and super annoying on 10.3.1.

The browsers reports up to 350 MB RAM in device manager (sometimes with only one tab open currently) and when killing it actually frees up more (like 500).

Basically, through out the day, when I open [many] tabs and later on close it, browser doesn't frees the RAM for those closed tabs.

For the smart ones above, if this wasn't a leak, I wouldn't be getting the "Low memory warnings " and I get those almost daily. Flash is gone and this problem still exists.

Wouldn't be that bid of deal if the browser wasn't logging me out from the sites of logged in to after restarting it.

Posted via CB10
    Again, what you think of a leak, isn't a memory leak.

Open a tab, close the tab. If memory is never ever released ever again, you'd be able to see memory never getting freed if you opened and closed tabs and see this problem with one tab open, not many. You're just using lots of memory.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 04:16 PM
    Again, what you think of a leak, isn't a memory leak.

Open a tab, close the tab. If memory is never ever released ever again, you'd be able to see memory never getting freed if you opened and closed tabs and see this problem with one tab open, not many. You're just using lots of memory.

Posted via CB10
    It is never released unless the application is closed. And yes, that is a memory leak.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 04:40 PM
    It is never released unless the application is closed. And yes, that is a memory leak.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds like it cleaned up after itself.
    03-23-15 11:27 PM
    That sounds like it cleaned up after itself.
    It does, but it should do it without restarting it. The inconvenience of restarting the browser is huge when I have to log in to minimum of 4 (they used to be 3) services.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 06:06 AM
    It does, but it should do it without restarting it. The inconvenience of restarting the browser is huge when I have to log in to minimum of 4 (they used to be 3) services.

Posted via CB10
    What are the 4 services? If they are actively passing traffic and keeping the login active, it shouldn't matter.
    03-24-15 12:04 PM
    What are the 4 services? If they are actively passing traffic and keeping the login active, it shouldn't matter.
    Just some secure web based apps/portals.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 10:01 AM
96 ... 234