Private browser, free or paid -- this is what I'd try immediately, because I'd think it's designed to hold content and hold the connection, more than an "any old" browser. My hunch.

I just searched BlackBerry World for private browser and I saw there are some that are native to BlackBerry 10. Sounds good to me.

What I can't figure out us why no-one has suggested this before. Maybe my hunch is all wrong.
    Just tried it and interestingly it renders HTML5 better than Alpha and Evolution native browsers. However, there is no option to enable desktop as agent.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 07:56 AM
    This isnt as cut and dry as people are making it out to be and are far to quick to blame the phone as apposed to websites that load flash, ads, etc.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-14 08:18 AM
    Idea for your consideration: I also monitor servers as well and keep a computer on the LAN just for that purpose. When I am away from my desk, I remote desktop in, whether from my Z30 or my Android tablet. One nice benefit is that I have my full toolbox available and it is consistent wherever I am.

Perhaps someone could come up with an application that simply opens an embedded browser as a separate process for each site. That way if one instance (tab, site, group) develops a problem, that one could be cancelled and restarted. Chrome for the desktop does this, and I have seen that do some pretty wonky things, as well.

Hope you find a solution.
    09-22-14 09:21 AM
    An interesting test, did you try to clear all your tabs (while keeping the browser open) and see if the memory usage dropped? I fool around with some flash stuff on my browser and generally, it sucks (Z10 10.2.1.2976). Out of the gate my browser uses 25mb. CNN doesnt complete loading after about 20ish seconds, but finishes. Browser at 121.8 mb. Closed tab, browser at 82.6 mb. Reloaded CNN, waiting for load, browser memory 132.6mb, closed cnn tab, browser at 85.3mb, gain of less then 3.

Doesn't clean up usage completely, but that is to be expected. Even my desktop browser will hold on to memory after I have closed tabs, sometimes way too much.
    09-22-14 09:30 AM
    when closing the browser, press and hold the 'x' until it fully closes.
    09-22-14 06:38 PM
    An interesting test, did you try to clear all your tabs (while keeping the browser open) and see if the memory usage dropped?
    I did, and the results are not good. No one can convince me that is normal.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 06:44 PM
    when closing the browser, press and hold the 'x' until it fully closes.
    The point is to clear RAM of closed tabs WITHOUT closing the browser.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-14 06:45 PM
    I did, and the results are not good. No one can convince me that is normal.

Posted via CB10
    Well if you can get another device and test, that might lead to different results (or that same). Trial and Terror.
    09-23-14 09:48 AM
    Memory management in a multitasking OS is generally unpredictable and the only way to "almost" guarantee that a program keeps its memory contents and responds promptly is to have it in the foreground and "close all other apps". Unless I'm mistaken, this is the convention across all known Operating systems today.

Opening 8 programs in addition to the browser which contains your important data and expecting the OS to know that you want to keep them alive in the background is a little unfair.

This is not a leak. The browser is recycling memory it believes is out of use because you have opened other apps or haven't touched those tabs recently. I have found the browser to be very generous in the length of time it allows tab contents to be cached, especially for a mobile OS.

It would certainly be a great feature if BB10 used the flash storage to cache web pages permanently as desktop browsers do or even provide an option to "Keep this tab" but this is a "power user" demand and would still lead to demanding users who expect other apps/tabs not to be negatively affected . Even on my desktop with 4GB ram I consciously close programs that I'm not using when I want to ensure that my important task runs smoothly so I wouldn't stress a smaller system by opening and closing 8 apps when one of them is mission-critical.

It's nice to have high expectations of BB10, though
    Last edited by m3mb3rsh1p; 09-23-14 at 10:24 AM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    09-23-14 10:12 AM
    Memory management in a multitasking OS is generally unpredictable and the only way to "almost" guarantee that a program keeps its memory contents and responds promptly is to have it in the foreground and "close all other apps". Unless I'm mistaken, this is the convention across all known Operating systems today.

Opening 8 programs in addition to the browser which contains your important data and expecting the OS to know that you want to keep them alive in the background is a little unfair.

This is not a leak. The browser is recycling memory it believes is out of use because you have opened other apps or haven't touched those tabs recently. I have found the browser to be very generous in the length of time it allows tab contents to be cached, especially for a mobile OS.

It would certainly be a great feature if BB10 used the flash storage to cache web pages permanently as desktop browsers do but this is a "power user" demand. Even on my desktop with 4GB ram I consciously close programs that I'm not using when I want to ensure that my important task runs smoothly so I wouldn't stress a smaller system by opening and closing 8 apps when one of them is mission-critical.

Good on you for having high expectations of BB10, though
    Fwiw, I don't think they opened 8 apps.
    I believe they opened just the web browser + 3 critical tabs always open + 5 more tabs in rotation

This issue has messed me up a few times. For example, filling in a form. I'll switch to another tab to search for something, comeback and the page reloads/form resets.

Seems that if the original page is heavy, it drops the page as soon as you switch tabs.. which isn't cool. Seems the "data cache" option only caches the page/html. I'd prefer it would put 'stale' ram in swap space or a page file (like desktop os')
    09-23-14 10:22 AM
    Not quite. Specifically in BB10 once memory is allocated to the process it gets to keep it. If the OS determines memory is getting low is sends a signal to all running processes which are supposed to free up any unused memory. In this case the browser, lacking any information to the contrary, might free up the memory associated with a page the user feels is important, as you point out. If this process doesn't solve the memory problem the OS will start closing applications.

Other OSs behave differently but none of the common ones steal memory away from running processes.

It would certainly be a great feature if BB10 used the flash storage to cache web pages permanently as desktop browsers do or even provide an option to "Keep this tab" but this is a "power user" demand and would still lead to demanding users who expect other apps/tabs not to be negatively affected . Even on my desktop with 4GB ram I consciously close programs that I'm not using when I want to ensure that my important task runs smoothly so I wouldn't stress a smaller system by opening and closing 8 apps when one of them is mission-critical.

It's nice to have high expectations of BB10, though
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    09-23-14 11:52 AM
    Most of you don't understand the real problem here.
    I understand that when the OS demands RAM from the browser, the browser will free it up.

I got better explanation of the problem I believe:
    It seems like the native browser handles recently closed tabs and all those that are not currently selected as visible tab the same way. Then when the OS demands RAM, browser cleans all but current tab which stinks big time.

I specifically proved the above assumption in my test (unless this only happens to me) and that is my problem. If the browser releases RAM right after a tab is closed, than I wouldn't have a problem cause once in a while I do close tabs.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 09-23-14 at 05:24 PM.
    09-23-14 04:07 PM
    Aah. I see what you mean. If I understand correctly, the browser is fine in keeping tabs open until the OS does cleanup at which point only the visible tab is saved?

Maybe this could be handled using automation e.g. a script that reloaded the page in the background so the browser knows to keep it alive...? Not sure it would work because sometimes youtube videos are interrupted even though I want them to keep playing in the background....
    09-23-14 04:53 PM
    Most of you don't understand the real problem here.
    I understand that when the OS demands RAM from the browser, the browser will free it up.

I got better explanation of the problem I believe:
    It seems like the native browser handles recently closed tabs and all those that are not currently selected as visible tab the same way. Then when the OS demands RAM, browser cleans all but current tab which stinks big time.

I specifically proved the above assumption in my test (unless this only happens to me) and that is my problem. If the browser releases RAM right after a tab is closed, than I wouldn't have a problem cause once in a while I do close tabs.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly the way BlackBerry expects applications to behave, and it is perfectly reasonable given the way most people on the planet use smarphone web browsers. It may be an issue with your particular case, but expecting time critical performance from a website is going to be a loosing proposition almost no mater what you do. If the browser doesn't give up the memory when requested it may very well be terminated. Then you loose all the tabs.

I don't know what your profit loss figures compare to the cost of having a custom solution. The typical solution pattern to this kind of issue is to use BlackBerry push to deliver the data. If it is implemented on top of a BES the pages could be rendered on the server and delivered as images to the device on the order of a few hundred milliseconds. This is similar to the way web pages are deliverd over BIS to an OS 7 device. Another option is to have a custom browser written that would hang on to the page data. But both those situations would eventually fail if your use of the device pushed the OS inot a memmory critical state. Unless the websites are under your control, that could happen even if the browser was the only application running if amount of data they hosted incresed sufficiently.
    09-23-14 06:58 PM
    Isn't it possible to create an app that has the sole function of opening a website? Wasn't there an app creation "quickie tool" that allowed almost anyone to do that?

Seems right after BB10 came out, lots of devs on CrackBerry were offering to do up a quick app for individuals. This allows a website to be opened and operate independently of the browser.

Wouldn't something like this solve the OP's issue?

P.S. I need a couple of those done now myself - anyone have a lead on this?
    nah.uhh likes this.
    09-24-14 05:17 PM
    Isn't it possible to create an app that has the sole function of opening a website? Wasn't there an app creation "quickie tool" that allowed almost anyone to do that?

Seems right after BB10 came out, lots of devs on CrackBerry were offering to do up a quick app for individuals. This allows a website to be opened and operate independently of the browser.

Wouldn't something like this solve the OP's issue?

P.S. I need a couple of those done now myself - anyone have a lead on this?
    You're talking about appbuilder, and it makes crappy apps. BlackBerry payed me $100 to try it out. I've taken the application off my vendor account. There was no way to support or improve the application once it was built.

But, no, it probably won't solve the OP's problem. If other applications are using memory and it gets low the request to free memory will go out. If not enough is freed, applications will be killed.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 07:18 PM
    I have the same issue too. I usually have several tabs open, and the browser start acting sluggish. This is an issue that BlackBerry must address.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 08:14 PM
    I am glad I am not the only one with this issue.
    Also, I want assure everyone that although not perfect, it's way better than Android.

I will be posting separate post/request at Passport sub forum to find out if the 3gb of RAM will help the browser keeps 10 tabs open at all times.

After all, it has 1gb of extra ram, numbers of running apps is the same, perhaps the GPU might need extra RAM due to increased pixels. I would estimate extra 500mb available.

That will be the only hope I have - tried most 3gb RAM Androids - they all missarabley failed.

Going to get my shirts' pockets enlarged now...

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 09:46 PM
    You're talking about appbuilder, and it makes crappy apps. BlackBerry payed me $100 to try it out. I've taken the application off my vendor account. There was no way to support or improve the application once it was built.

But, no, it probably won't solve the OP's problem. If other applications are using memory and it gets low the request to free memory will go out. If not enough is freed, applications will be killed.

Posted via CB10
    Right - OP needs those key websites open and logged in.

Only support / updates would be if the site log-in address changes, right?

I suggest add it back if you're a dev, you and OP talk via PM and build him 3 quick apps for his websites. Then he can test it out.

I have a website log in page I need as an app if someone wants to give it a go for me. BigContacts is the name. An online CRM we use. Here's the log in page:

https://mobile.bigcontacts.com/login

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    09-24-14 11:30 PM
    Its a long shot, but a very easy test would be creating a single html page with an iframe for each site required.

This is sensitively dependent on the native browsers iframe support, whether or not constraining content to a single tab in this way affects the policy for recovering memory, whether the sites themselves allow framing in this way and whether or not the browser actually respects any x-frame-options headers the sites in question may send.

But it does have the advantage that the OP should be able to test it himself pretty quickly with a few lines of html.
    09-25-14 02:36 AM
    Right - OP needs those key websites open and logged in.

Only support / updates would be if the site log-in address changes, right?

I suggest add it back if you're a dev, you and OP talk via PM and build him 3 quick apps for his websites. Then he can test it out.

I have a website log in page I need as an app if someone wants to give it a go for me. BigContacts is the name. An online CRM we use. Here's the log in page:

https://mobile.bigcontacts.com/login

Posted via CB10, now from a Z30
    I don't think you read my post.

No.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 04:05 AM
    I don't think you read my post.

No.

Posted via CB10
    Accepted. That was one of two possible answers.
    09-25-14 10:11 AM
    Just throwing this in for what it's worth. I do know from personal experience that the OS most definitely has lots to do with this issue.

Depending on what os your on and IF it's a corrupt or bad load or not will depend on how the ram os handled

I for one have had diff outcomes with each os in respect to ram being used up or being handled correctly after closing an app or browser.

Now to the "remember me" aspect, yes that most definitely has been an issue for most of 10.2 os's and for the early 10.3 ones as well. But I can tell you for certain that part has been fixed and isn't ever an issue anymore on 10.3.0.1052 and up. Works great and always remembers my passwords and fills them in now.

So, in closing I'd say just try loading the 10.3.0.1130 or 10.3.0.1154 and this should work much much better for you. At min with the passwords. The memory leaks thing I can tell you that 1154 works and handles the memory allocation much much faster and cleaner than 1130 or especially 1052. Nothing handled memory better for me than the SDK os 700 but sadly it had a could things that didn't work that I needed so had to move on.

Hope this helps

Why ME?
    djsvet likes this.
    09-25-14 10:35 AM
    Just throwing this in for what it's worth. I do know from personal experience that the OS most definitely has lots to do with this issue.

Depending on what os your on and IF it's a corrupt or bad load or not will depend on how the ram os handled

I for one have had diff outcomes with each os in respect to ram being used up or being handled correctly after closing an app or browser.

Now to the "remember me" aspect, yes that most definitely has been an issue for most of 10.2 os's and for the early 10.3 ones as well. But I can tell you for certain that part has been fixed and isn't ever an issue anymore on 10.3.0.1052 and up. Works great and always remembers my passwords and fills them in now.

So, in closing I'd say just try loading the 10.3.0.1130 or 10.3.0.1154 and this should work much much better for you. At min with the passwords. The memory leaks thing I can tell you that 1154 works and handles the memory allocation much much faster and cleaner than 1130 or especially 1052. Nothing handled memory better for me than the SDK os 700 but sadly it had a could things that didn't work that I needed so had to move on.

Hope this helps

Why ME?
    I've been thinking about it for a while but you definitely convinced me. Will load it this weekend

Posted via CB10
    09-25-14 08:10 PM
    To be honest I would see this as an issue if I didn't routinely see this behavior with desktop Firefox and chrome. Both have memory leaks if I leave them open for extended periods of time and just open and close tabs.

I would expect chrome to behave similarly to the BB10 browser as both are website based. I have seen the behavior described where after extended use without entirely closing the browser it gets slow and starts to reload almost all the tabs open. I just set it to reopen everything as was when I last closed and restart the browser. That's my solution. I've just grown to accept the issue as a general browser issue. The irony is Internet Explorer seems to be the only bulletproof browser for me right now.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 02:43 AM
96 1234