I have been a long time Palm webOS user, and recently migrated over to BB10, and the Z10. I like the concept of the Hub and the more I use it the more I enjoy it. However, I wish BlackBerry would make it more like Synergy. Basically, I want to enter all my accounts (Whatsapp, Skype, etc.) and be able to interact with them without the need to launch an app, much like you can with FB and Twitter.

Do you guys see this as the evolution of the Hub as well?
    yellowhammer likes this.
    05-23-13 04:24 AM
    Maybe in the future...right now even flipping back is not possible until the keyboard is minimize and we have to hit the back button on the screen

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 05:31 AM
    I have been a long time Palm webOS user, and recently migrated over to BB10, and the Z10. I like the concept of the Hub and the more I use it the more I enjoy it. However, I wish BlackBerry would make it more like Synergy. Basically, I want to enter all my accounts (Whatsapp, Skype, etc.) and be able to interact with them without the need to launch an app, much like you can with FB and Twitter.

Do you guys see this as the evolution of the Hub as well?
    This is how the hub is thought of and how it is working already. Some of the apps may not be still able to do this but this is not relevant to the logic of the hub, morelike I would believe it has to do with the development of the application. (of course not all applications will be allowed to have access to the hub with a separate tab i guess).

I do hope that in the future we get to have full customization possibilities for the hub as notification centre and I think this is where this is going.

Regarding Whatsapp, in version 10.1 it has its own tab in the hub, separated from general notifications (same as BBM, facebook etc). In order to be able to do that, the app has to be native and developed with hub integration. When not in that aspect, you will receive a notification in the "notifications tab" in the hub with the relevant message in most cases.

If for any reason, you are using whatsapp on 10.1.0 OS versions and you do not have a separate whatsapp tab in the hub, then delete and re-install whatsapp on your phone and that should fix it.

It is pretty clear that the logic is for the hub to function in that way. The extent into which specific apps will do that remains to be seen by case, but the general idea is, I think, as you describe.

Hope this helps.
    best of regards.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-23-13 05:51 AM
    This is how the hub is thought of and how it is working already. Some of the apps may not be still able to do this but this is not relevant to the logic of the hub, morelike I would believe it has to do with the development of the application. (of course not all applications will be allowed to have access to the hub with a separate tab i guess).

I do hope that in the future we get to have full customization possibilities for the hub as notification centre and I think this is where this is going.

Regarding Whatsapp, in version 10.1 it has its own tab in the hub, separated from general notifications (same as BBM, facebook etc). In order to be able to do that, the app has to be native and developed with hub integration. When not in that aspect, you will receive a notification in the "notifications tab" in the hub with the relevant message in most cases.

If for any reason, you are using whatsapp on 10.1.0 OS versions and you do not have a separate whatsapp tab in the hub, then delete and re-install whatsapp on your phone and that should fix it.

It is pretty clear that the logic is for the hub to function in that way. The extent into which specific apps will do that remains to be seen by case, but the general idea is, I think, as you describe.

Hope this helps.
    best of regards.
    Thanks for an exceptional explanation of the Hub. Unfortunately, I do not have an extra tab for Whatsapp. I have 10.1 installed and reinstalled the app. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:35 AM
    Re the excellent explanation provided - that's also my understanding of the Hub and how BlackBerry are looking are looking to flesh it out in the future.

Regarding the OP, I was intrigued by your request. So much so that I went online and watched a few Web OS videos. I already knew about the operating system and the similarities to the PlayBook OS but what I found particularly interesting was the implementation of Synergy Messaging and it's aggregated view of all types of communication exchanged with a particular contact.

How did Synergy Messaging work out for the recipient of the messages (presuming they weren't also on Web OS)? Was it not a bit messy / confusing for them having to follow a conversation spanning multiple apps? I'm not trying to bash what I saw - just genuinely interested.
    05-23-13 08:35 AM
    Re the excellent explanation provided - that's also my understanding of the Hub and how BlackBerry are looking are looking to flesh it out in the future.

Regarding the OP, I was intrigued by your request. So much so that I went online and watched a few Web OS videos. I already knew about the operating system and the similarities to the PlayBook OS but what I found particularly interesting was the implementation of Synergy Messaging and it's aggregated view of all types of communication exchanged with a particular contact.

How did Synergy Messaging work out for the recipient of the messages (presuming they weren't also on Web OS)? Was it not a bit messy / confusing for them having to follow a conversation spanning multiple apps? I'm not trying to bash what I saw - just genuinely interested.
    The recipient had any responses go to whatever application the current convo was being held. I think the rolling conversation thing was broken up for them and had little effect, honestly. With them jumping from device to device, the likelihood of convergence of topics from a previous device was minimal. But for me on webOS, the appeal was the consolidation of applications into the messaging app via Synergy. I see the Hub in a much similar fashion.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 08:48 AM
    Thanks for an exceptional explanation of the Hub. Unfortunately, I do not have an extra tab for Whatsapp. I have 10.1 installed and reinstalled the app. Any ideas?

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. I hope I am not misleading you with my comment, but in practice and in all that I have experienced through consecutive updates, plus all I read and see online, this is how I perceive it. Any dev that might be able to explain to us access to the hub by 3ed party application and how this is going to play out or what it is conditioned by, would actually be a clarification on issues I may not have understood well.

That said, I am confused in whatsapp not having a separate notification tab on your phone. What I did was to update the version of the OS. Initially it actually did not have a separate tab, untill I have deleted the app and then re-installed from appworld, re-configured whatsapp and restart the phone.

what exact version of the OS are you on? On the leaked 10.1.0.1880 it works for me perfectly

Thanks!
    05-23-13 11:15 AM
    Thank you. I hope I am not misleading you with my comment, but in practice and in all that I have experienced through consecutive updates, plus all I read and see online, this is how I perceive it. Any dev that might be able to explain to us access to the hub by 3ed party application and how this is going to play out or what it is conditioned by, would actually be a clarification on issues I may not have understood well.

That said, I am confused in whatsapp not having a separate notification tab on your phone. What I did was to update the version of the OS. Initially it actually did not have a separate tab, untill I have deleted the app and then re-installed from appworld, re-configured whatsapp and restart the phone.

what exact version of the OS are you on? On the leaked 10.1.0.1880 it works for me perfectly

Thanks!
    No doubt man. Your explanation was spot on. I am on STL100-4 leak 10.1.0.1483. I would love to find the solution. Have tried uninstall, install, and reboot. Thanks for your help.

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    05-23-13 11:28 AM
    No doubt man. Your explanation was spot on. I am on STL100-4 leak 10.1.0.1483. I would love to find the solution. Have tried uninstall, install, and reboot. Thanks for your help.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, I cannot understand what might be the reason why your Whatsapp will not get allocated a separated tab in the hub. I went through the options etc and cannot seem to find any obvious setting in relation. ...
    05-23-13 02:08 PM
    Try doing a 5 swipe reboot of the Hub and 2 battery pulls

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    05-23-13 02:33 PM
    5 swipe reboot?
    05-24-13 06:14 AM
    The recipient had any responses go to whatever application the current convo was being held. I think the rolling conversation thing was broken up for them and had little effect, honestly. With them jumping from device to device, the likelihood of convergence of topics from a previous device was minimal. But for me on webOS, the appeal was the consolidation of applications into the messaging app via Synergy. I see the Hub in a much similar fashion.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the insight. Synergy seems to be an interesting concept, as are many of the other aspects of Web OS. It was definitely an operating system ahead of its time. Let's hope that BlackBerry can take up the reins and continue innovating where they left off.
    05-24-13 04:38 PM
    Thanks for the insight. Synergy seems to be an interesting concept, as are many of the other aspects of Web OS. It was definitely an operating system ahead of its time. Let's hope that BlackBerry can take up the reins and continue innovating where they left off.
    That's exactly what brought me to BlackBerry. I feel a very similar vibe, but with a stronger direction. Also, found this community to be just as awesome.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 08:34 PM
    Sorry, I cannot understand what might be the reason why your Whatsapp will not get allocated a separated tab in the hub. I went through the options etc and cannot seem to find any obvious setting in relation. ...
    Not sure what was going on, but installed the latest OS leak after work and now have the WhatsApp Hub tab. Thanks guys!

Posted via CB10
    currentodysseys likes this.
    05-24-13 08:35 PM