Ok so the new hub gestures that enable you to move to next and previous messages on MR have been added.

But now I find myself accidentally doing them when I don't intend to and there seems to be no way to turn them off.

I'm not entirely sure why BlackBerry seem to be complicating the OS and not at least giving users the ability to turn these "new useful features" off.

Surely they should have a QA department. Oh sorry... I forgot that they were all sacked!

Abit of a ranty post but hey...

National Rail Times App for BB10 (Native Q10 and Z10) - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20352963
    Last edited by os30; 08-01-13 at 07:23 PM.
    08-01-13 06:14 PM
    Why are you moving up and down when swiping back.Just swipe back.The gesture's not that smooth its pretty mechanical. Just swipe back.
    Last edited by elite1; 08-01-13 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Removed all the rude stuff
    08-01-13 06:58 PM
    I haven't found myself doing this Next/Previous Hub gesture by accident. If anything, I've had trouble with it maybe once or twice. FOr most part, it's worked exactly as it should for me.

With a gesture-based UI, consistency is key for a good UX. Being a new platform, I would disagree with OP that any gestures should be user-definable, for the near future anyway.

And for anyone not knowing what we're talking about...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...evious-831627/
    08-01-13 07:05 PM
    I have accidentally done the next message gesture, but only when I want to PEEK back to the Hub whilst in the middle of reading another message, I guess its just the way I swipe (I guess I'm holding it wrong!)

Also, I'm not sure if this new gesture is actually documented. So it might confuse new users if they accidentally swipe that way by accident. I'm not sure if this new gesture adds much useability to be honest. But I guess people that need it would disagree.
    08-01-13 07:12 PM
    It's especially useful if you sort your messages by Conversation in Hub Settings.
    Makes checking consecutive new replies to a message less tedious.
    08-01-13 07:25 PM
    Swipe straight across then. Don't slide the thumb down. I am using it more than the old way (which is still there) . I don't see a problem. Do you have to think when you breathe? Nope. Just like 10, it becomes 2nd nature. I fumbled through this entire OS when i got this phone. I can't stop using it now. Its the bomb!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 08:50 PM
    +1000

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 08:51 PM
    It's especially useful if you sort your messages by Conversation in Hub Settings.
    Makes checking consecutive new replies to a message less tedious.
    You are always so helpful. I was trying to figure out a good reason to use it, except that it is cool, and now I have one.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    08-01-13 08:55 PM
    I'm loving the new gesture.
    Never do it by accident either.
    Almost wish it works throughout the phone (like the crackberry app)

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 09:23 PM
    @awindsr Yes like I said I'm "holding it wrong". If I'm accidentally doing the swipe, then surely other people are too. I've had my Z10 since launch and my Q10 since that was launched too so I know how to use the phone.

A simple option to disable the gesture would be useful. In testing, the testers must have done this accidentally as well.

Also, it doesn't always work. Try doing the gesture (purposefully) from a Text Message (SMS) to the "next" message and that simply doesn't work.

Maybe I'm holding it wrong in there as well.

National Rail Times App for BB10 (Native Q10 and Z10) - http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/20352963
    Last edited by os30; 08-02-13 at 02:58 AM.
    08-02-13 02:46 AM
    @awindsr Yes like I said I'm "holding it wrong". If I'm accidentally doing the swipe, then surely other people are too. I've had my Z10 since launch and my Q10 since that was launched too so I know how to use the phone.

A simple option to disable the gesture would be useful. In testing, the testers must have done this accidentally as well.

Also, it doesn't always work. Try doing the gesture (purposefully) from a Text Message (SMS) to the "next" message and that simply doesn't work.

Maybe I'm holding it wrong in there as well.

Sarcasm aside, no, it doesn't work with my text either. Don't recall mentioning text problem. Therefore it more than likely comes back to your feel on the phone. I'm jittery and succeed! Works well.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 12:04 AM
    Sarcasm aside, no, it doesn't work with my text either. Don't recall mentioning text problem. Therefore it more than likely comes back to your feel on the phone. I'm jittery and succeed! Works well.

Posted via CB10
    Ok I don't quite understand that. Nope the gesture doesn't work in Text Messages and my opinion of the actual gesture and doing it accidentally doesn't change that fact. If there is indeed a new gesture introduced, make it consistent across all message types, or else, what's the point

My point is simple, some people might find the gesture useful, fair play to them (I might even use it myself from time to time) however, it would have been nice to add a feature to be able to "have the choice" to disable it if you don't need it or in my case, will not use it very often but end up accidentally trigerring it.

I write BB10 apps so I obviously like the platform. But even though I like the OS doesn't mean that I can't/shouldn't express my opinion and criticise bits of it.

In any case I have found a workaround. When I'm in a message and I Peek Back to the Hub, when I want to go back to my message, if I actually drag to the left so that the message I was reading fills the screen again (rather than just swipe left) this will prevent the next message being triggered, even though I may have inadvertently done the "next message gesture". Not perfect but I can adapt.

Last edited by os30; 08-03-13 at 08:02 AM.
    08-03-13 03:49 AM
    Ok I don't quite understand that. Nope the gesture doesn't work in Text Messages and my opinion of the actual gesture and doing it accidentally doesn't change that fact. If there is indeed a new gesture introduced, make it consistent across all message types, or else, what's the point

My point is simple, some people might find the gesture useful, fair play to them (I might even use it myself from time to time) however, it would have been nice to add a feature to be able to "have the choice" to disable it if you don't need it or in my case, will not use it very often but end up accidentally trigerring it.

I write BB10 apps so I obviously like the platform. But even though I like the OS doesn't mean that I can't/shouldn't express my opinion and criticise bits of it.

In any case I have found a workaround. When I'm in a message and I Peek Back to the Hub, when I want to go back to my message, if I actually drag to the left so that the message I was reading fills the screen again (rather than just swipe left) this will prevent the next message being triggered, even though I may have inadvertently done the "next message gesture". Not perfect but I can adapt.

I sure found it strange when i tried it on text and it didn't work. I use it mostly for all incoming email correspondence. I hardly get many texts to have warrant my trying it for text. I seem to BBM way more . Shocking, i know! My first BlackBerry and i actually BBM more than text. BBM is awesome for me. I especially like how when a new BBM message arrives while I chat with another contact, it appears in the top of the BBM app.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 07:35 PM
    Is this a z10 only feature? I'm on a Q10 on a leaked 10.2.0.1047 OS and for some reason can't get it to work.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:32 PM