I have one concern I want clarification on about BB10 email and the Hub. If I'm reading these posts correctly, All of my email accounts with Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Rogers etc are handled by me entering my account information into the Hub settings for each of these services right? Somewhat like the Playbook's native email? My concern is this:

On other mobile OS's, most of those services have their own 'apps'. Because the email service, ie Yahoo for just an example, is handled by an app that's specifically made by Yahoo, the settings are baked into the app and you're always going to have all of your Yahoo email folder structure showing correctly, pushed correctly, and connecting to your account correctly. On the other hand, with the Hub, you're manually entering those settings.

History has shown me going all the way back with PC's that using native email clients rather than apps made by the Email provider themselves, are prone to errors. The playbook illustrates this problem - Gmail accounts and Rogers-Yahoo accounts often encounter problems talking to the email servers of those providers when using the native email client on the device. Even the native Email client on my android phone has this problem. However if I install that particular email providers own APP on my phone, it always connects without fail.

Without the option to install an app made by Yahoo specifically for a BB10 phone, (again just an example) rather than manually entering my Yahoo email account info into the HUB, what is there to stop me from having to constantly tweak my account settings everytime there's some kind of change at Yahoo's end that causes connection issues, as is what happens on the Playbook?

Here's a scenario to explain it further: Yahoo, Rogers, Gmail or whoever, makes some server side changes. They then update their Android/iPhone apps to reflect those changes. You update their app and presto, you're up and running again. However if you're using a native email client (Like the Hub), you're left scrambling, calling tech to ask what the new settings are for your email client, and having to manually change it. This is precisely the reason why I stopped using Email Clients on my PC and now use each providers own web based email, and why I use the official Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo apps on my current phone rather than the email client built into it.

Do I have how this works right?
    02-11-13 08:56 AM
    1) I've not had a single problem yet, and just so you know, the majority of people use native email apps. Even on iOS, more people use the native email app than the specific Yahoo app. Same goes with Hotmail and Android. There's an app, but most people use the native email client.

2) Yahoo is the crappiest email provider around. They don't offer IMAP, instead, electing to go with a proprietary communications method for push. I don't know why anyone would still support them. Then again, they kind of force you to by not even allowing you to forward your mail to another provider. I guess their former CEO lying about his post secondary education makes sense...

3) Most email providers adhere to open standards that are already implemented in native clients. Yes, you might not have a few of the unique features, but for the most part, everything is there.

4) Your assertion that a server-side update breaking compatibility with native clients not made by the email provider is false, plain and simple. Like I said earlier, most email providers adhere to open standards. Even Yahoo is compatible with POP, at the very least. They can make all the UI changes server side, but unless they stop offering POP/IMAP/Activesync support, native clients will be compatible.

Lastly, your connections issues are not the fault of native clients. You clearly have other problems that need to be sorted out. I started using smartphones in 2007, and since that time, I have not had a single connection issue that I genuinely couldn't determine the cause of. Perhaps your router is blocking certain ports?
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    02-11-13 10:34 AM
    1) I've not had a single problem yet, and just so you know, the majority of people use native email apps. Even on iOS, more people use the native email app than the specific Yahoo app. Same goes with Hotmail and Android. There's an app, but most people use the native email client.

2) Yahoo is the crappiest email provider around. They don't offer IMAP, instead, electing to go with a proprietary communications method for push. I don't know why anyone would still support them. Then again, they kind of force you to by not even allowing you to forward your mail to another provider. I guess their former CEO lying about his post secondary education makes sense...

3) Most email providers adhere to open standards that are already implemented in native clients. Yes, you might not have a few of the unique features, but for the most part, everything is there.

4) Your assertion that a server-side update breaking compatibility with native clients not made by the email provider is false, plain and simple. Like I said earlier, most email providers adhere to open standards. Even Yahoo is compatible with POP, at the very least. They can make all the UI changes server side, but unless they stop offering POP/IMAP/Activesync support, native clients will be compatible.

Lastly, your connections issues are not the fault of native clients. You clearly have other problems that need to be sorted out. I started using smartphones in 2007, and since that time, I have not had a single connection issue that I genuinely couldn't determine the cause of. Perhaps your router is blocking certain ports?
    Thx for the info, but now I'm wondering what's the cause of our playbook tablet native email constantly asking for passwords every 30 seconds? People have been suggesting going into your Web based email on the computer to readjust your email settings there to stop that. Wouldn't that imply it's the native email at fault IF those problems don't occur when you use that email provider's own official app?
    02-11-13 03:49 PM
    With or without bugs I prefer separate apps for different accounts.

Those accounts represent parts of my life that I like to keep separate.
    02-11-13 04:00 PM
    i have never had a problem with native Email on any BB phone or Playbook
    02-11-13 04:49 PM
    i have never had a problem with native Email on any BB phone or Playbook
    Cool. But for those who have, I'd be interested in your solution. A lot of people ran into glitches with Gmail constantly asking for a password even though it was already set on the PB, and recently now with Rogers Yahoo accounts. I never had my Rogers account do this until 2 days ago and I haven't touched those settings in a year.

Conversely the official apps by those email providers have never done this because well, they made them.
    02-11-13 05:30 PM
    If you like popping in and out of different email apps to check your emails, then go ahead. Most phones have an integrated inbox (HTC has it, Samsung has it), and it's much more convenient. The hub takes the email integration to a whole new level. I absolutely love the Hub experience. When I wake up, I just need to go to one place to check all of my notifications (emails, FB, Twitter, etc.), and then I can go do my next thing. No more going to four or five different places to check things.
    02-11-13 05:48 PM
    My email accounts all work great in the Hub. No issues. Why? Because I'm McGuyver's son, he taught me how to make anything work, using limited resources. In this case, however, I actually have the single greatest email resource available in my BlackBerry.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 06:31 PM
    I've never used an app for email on any of the BlackBerry devices I've owned. Not sure where this is going, but email is synonymous with BlackBerry, ever since I can recall.

02-11-13 06:33 PM
    Hub is the single best messaging solution since BlackBerry 7.1 and every BlackBerry before that. BlackBerry is email. Peace.

b320 likes this.
    02-11-13 06:39 PM
    Awesome, Omg thanks so much for posting those 3 adverts in a row!
    Now then. Back to the issues people have been posting about getting the native email to play nice with their various email providers? That was kind of the point...
    02-11-13 09:51 PM