I'm not necessarily gifted with the techno-prowess that some of you have, but isn't the ability to run HTML5 apps supposed to be a big plus for BB10?

If that's the case, how come BlackBerry isn't making the same kind of push that Google is making with their Chrome Web Store? In other words, don't bother huge investments in time convincing developers to generate native apps for BB10. Instead, focus on making your own ecosystem more pliable for the inclusion of HTML5 apps.

In that way, every HTML 5 developer becomes a BlackBerry developer. Push further into the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 02:29 PM
    As nice as webworks development is with the bbUI code to the common person, they'd never be able to tell the difference between webworks and native code.

That said, people would still rather have a native build, take skype and songza for example.

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    06-30-13 05:15 PM
    So you're saying the average person wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a native app and a Web app?

Because if that's true, it's completely my point.

And even if that's not the case now, perhaps interfaces and coding can be refined to the point where it is. Rather than try to compete with Android and iOS, BlackBerry should steal more of the wind out of Chrome's sails.

If they could partner up with an online office suite like Zoho, they'd be in a good position to do battle with Google Drive.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:15 PM
    Don't believe all the hype about HTML5. Like any development framework it has disadvantages as well as advantages. It's cool for smallish projects, but doesn't scale well. Besides, HTML is meant for building webpages, not apps. Yes, you can jump through hoops to get it to look and work like an app, but its not optimal. Square pegs, round holes...
    06-30-13 07:16 PM
    Take the browser for instance, that app is completely built in HTML5.
    A common user wouldn't know, however, I can tell, mainly because it is slightly slower than a native application would feel.
    I understand your point, and yes, HTML5 is pretty useful [for smaller projects], however, not even close to native when the API's are compared and abilities are compared.
    06-30-13 07:19 PM