I use the hsbc app on my passport which I downloaded from the amazon store. Whilst it's recently been slow to load up, the app works well as do all the banking features.

The app contains something called a secure pass key, which is quite important! Without it you cannot log into online banking services with a PC nor can you add new payees.

Anyway, logging into the app I'm presented with this message today!

Hsbc app alert. Another app which will stop working soon!-img_20170510_155240.png

Posted via CB10
    05-10-17 09:59 AM
    Technology changes, especially security protocols....
    05-10-17 11:17 AM
    Mobile payments are requiring updates to virtually all banking apps (someone else reported the Chase app no longer working this week), and for Android apps, it will require a minimum of v4.4 (KitKat) to support those functions. That's obviously a problem for BB10's v4.3 Jellybean runtime - and why it's so important to be on a currently-supported platform if you want these things to work.
    05-10-17 12:22 PM
    Latest version of my local (finnish) banking app gives a installation error.
    It does download as a update from the play store but fails to install, hopefully it's just a bug and the next version will install again.

Nevertheless a spooki amount of android apps are starting require lollipop's runtime as an minimum ;_;
    05-11-17 12:42 AM
    The web version should still work (hopefully) ?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-17 12:22 PM
    Latest version of my local (finnish) banking app gives a installation error.
    It does download as a update from the play store but fails to install, hopefully it's just a bug and the next version will install again.

Nevertheless a spooki amount of android apps are starting require lollipop's runtime as an minimum ;_;
    It's not spooky at all. The frameworks needed for modern mobile banking was only added to Android with v4.4. Google has been working with the banks to get it all updated and integrated, and that means targeting 4.4 as the minimum supported version. This is excluding orders of magnitude more Android phones than BB phones, so, no, it isn't Google trying to "kill BB10".

As many have been saying for a long time, technology is constantly moving forward, and sooner or later, something important will get left behind if you aren't on an actively supported device and platform. Standards are constantly evolving, laws are changing, APIs get deprecated and replaced, etc.

Nothing spooky about it - it's completely to be expected.
    05-11-17 01:04 PM
    It's not spooky at all. The frameworks needed for modern mobile banking was only added to Android with v4.4. Google has been working with the banks to get it all updated and integrated, and that means targeting 4.4 as the minimum supported version.
    Now you got me spooked real good

Not that moving to a modern android device would fix nearly all my issues.
    Having root access on that platform is a must for me, for example the only way to get efficient system wide ad-blocking is via root privileges.
    But having root access also breaks a lot of the "modern" functionality.
    I'm also hesitant of buying apple product thanks to their questionable business practices.

But now I will pack my collection of tinfoil hats and move to some distant mountain to live a hermits life, there I will tell passing travellers stories of a glorious mobile operating system, and how I barely escaped this cursed first world problem.
    05-12-17 02:10 AM
    Now you got me spooked real good

Not that moving to a modern android device would fix nearly all my issues.
    Having root access on that platform is a must for me, for example the only way to get efficient system wide ad-blocking is via root privileges.
    But having root access also breaks a lot of the "modern" functionality.
    I'm also hesitant of buying apple product thanks to their questionable business practices.

But now I will pack my collection of tinfoil hats and move to some distant mountain to live a hermits life, there I will tell passing travellers stories of a glorious mobile operating system, and how I barely escaped this cursed first world problem.
    Take care but do be sure to visit us here on CB via satellite Internet access every so often and let us know you're OK.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-17 03:28 AM