The problem with BB and its loyal customers is that there are so few of them and that number continue shrinking. That is a FACT, evidenced by the quarterly reports. If the number of loyal fans were enough for BB10 to be profitable, BB wouldn't have been forced to try Android.

While BB10 was a technical achievement, it was an utter failure by any financial standard.
    It was failed by design. Building a platform takes huge investment and long term planning. BlackBerry treated BlackBerry 10 like a lottery ticket and when they didn't get the result they wanted they threw it in the trash.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 03:04 PM
    It was failed by design. Building a platform takes huge investment and long term planning. BlackBerry treated BlackBerry 10 like a lottery ticket and when they didn't get the result they wanted they threw it in the trash.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry had gotten a good chunk of market share say 20%, it would have made things excellent for bb10 users but also way better for android users. Might have even made things better for ios users.
    11-15-15 03:19 PM
    I've witnessed the greatest case of precisely this: Symbian. As a platform, Symbian is Dead. Not in maintenance mode. Dead. Pronounced dead on December 31st, 2014, but long dead before.

As a Symbian user, I have AppList (a community based App Store), new apps (including Instagram for Symbian), updates (CuteTube <3) , and support. And we are talking about an, I repeat, DEAD platform.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:23 PM
    New BB 10 user here. Wouldn't supporting devs on the app store make a positive difference? bb10's is ready, just need dev support.
    11-15-15 08:06 PM
    I've witnessed the greatest case of precisely this: Symbian. As a platform, Symbian is Dead. Not in maintenance mode. Dead. Pronounced dead on December 31st, 2014, but long dead before.

As a Symbian user, I have AppList (a community based App Store), new apps (including Instagram for Symbian), updates (CuteTube <3) , and support. And we are talking about an, I repeat, DEAD platform.

Posted via CB10
    This is off topic but I used my P900 for 7 years until it wouldn't charge anymore. I would have used it even longer if that hadn't happened.
    I really liked that phone.
    What happened with all of the legacy phones? How did they keep going?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 08:51 PM
    I can speak only about Nokia phones, either with S60 (technically compatible with your P900) or with Symbian^3. A S60 phone with WhatsApp and Gravity has a nice afterlife. If it can manage it (N95 and later), Qt would enable several updated apps, like Instagram for Symbian. There are some games available, and, since Symbian phones are retroactively compatible with J2ME, you can download Facebook for dumbphones and it will run, flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 10:54 PM
    The difference is only the community. If the community is strong, you got good support. Example some of you has posted here Symbian. I can talk about webOS and still today there is people that are developing apps for webOS.

Yes, support developers is the first things, for make BB10 alive.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-16-15 03:13 AM
    Just wanna tell everyone, Nemory Studios is still here committed on updating and bringing more apps to the BlackBerry 10 Platform. let's not forget this awesome OS.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 03:40 AM
    NemOry is here guys, he is still developing for BB10 and also other developers. Why if you love BB10 don't support him and join in? If we stay united, we can sure do the difference. Come on guys, be positive!
    David Tyler likes this.
    11-16-15 06:52 AM
    Where can I learn how to make apps? I have a few ideas for apps. Can I work for you Nemory? Lol

Edit: I'm actually serious, coding is something I could possibly get good at.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-16-15 08:00 AM
    Where can I learn how to make apps? I have a few ideas for apps. Can I work for you Nemory? Lol

Edit: I'm actually serious, coding is something I could possibly get good at.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Nemory can probably help better than I can, but if not I can. I haven't developed for B10 yet but I'm a developer. Or just give your ideas to Nemory and he might develop them.

Forgive my typos, I don't look when I type
    11-16-15 08:36 AM
    Really? You're telling BB owners that if they want apps for their phones, to get busy and make the apps themselves, even if they aren't a developer?
    Early Android and iOS apps didn't just pop out of nowhere. A bunch of enthusiasts made apps they wanted to see on their phones. People that can't code hired coders to make what they wanted.

I would be pleased to create apps in my free time if I knew how to do it. If you, people, suggest the users should create apps, post a link for learning how to do that.
    Where can I learn how to make apps?
    C++ Language - C++ Tutorials
    Qt 4.8
    Documentation - BlackBerry Native
    Last edited by bidirectional; 11-16-15 at 09:09 AM.
    11-16-15 08:54 AM
    Just wanna tell everyone, Nemory Studios is still here committed on updating and bringing more apps to the BlackBerry 10 Platform. let's not forget this awesome OS.
    Did you fix your messenger app? If not, did you remove it from the store so people don't buy an app they can't work?
    11-16-15 09:02 AM
    Yes, there may be a contingent of BlackBerry 10 believers within BlackBerry, but actions speak louder than words. It has been suggested a few times, not by me originally, but I'm a serious advocate for BlackBerry to think outside the box and consider alternative funding approaches for keeping BlackBerry 10 alive. Yes, that includes crowdfunding, or paying more for devices running BB10 than the identical device running Android, because there are additional costs to BlackBerry to get BlackBerry 10 running on Android... but they have to work WITH the BlackBerry 10 community, not AGAINST it.

The C|Net article includes a profile of how Android by BlackBerry came to be, and in I'm sure what will be recanted soon, it was explained that as soon as their current device rep, Ron Louks, came onboard he started lobbying to switch to Android, and the totally in-retrospect and-they-called-us-paranoid must-have-been-intentional-sabotage way that BlackBerry 10 OS and devices were marketed also speaks volumes about what their intentions were and are, despite what a few BB10 advocates within BB may say off the record.

Every action they have taken w.r.t. BB10 speaks far louder than the words i.e. "we're committed to BlackBerry 10", while they pull at every thread along the spine of the material that causes the whole thing to unravel. Those are the words of a "we'll say anything to keep moving product out the door but we won't back up our vague promises of commitment with ACTUAL promises of commitment.

Here's the deal:

The people who bought BlackBerry 10 devices ARE the ones that BlackBerry owes loyalty to, NOT the other way around. BlackBerry is investing all their energy in staying alive, but not sparing a penny to try to 'do right' by BB10 users. What this means is BlackBerry 10 cares about their NEXT customer, not their CURRENT customer, because they're doing SO LITTLE, SO PATHETICALLY LITTLE to support BB10 that it can only be characterized as saying whatever they need to say to move idle inventory, not one iota more.

They simply can't be trusted. If they want to regain our trust, let them get started immediately, and porting BB10 to the Slider would be an excellent place to start.

Or, they can just write BB10 fans off as "lunatic fanbois". But what is TRUE lunacy would be to put my trust in BlackBerry management. AGAIN.
    I'm with you about the fact that the PRIV is mainly oriented toward getting new customer onboard (or back onboard) and not to retain its current customer.
    Personally I would tend to say that the PRIV on Android may still be a good thing. We could see that the market opinion about BlackBerry tend to change with Customer saying a lot of good thing about what BlackBerry brought up to the Market. This is opening the eye and ears to previous customer that were simply putting a thick blind not to hear and see what BlackBerry has to offer.

Now what those Customer may have not realised yet, is that all those features that they are impressed and like on the PRIV (other than the hardware related items, like the camera which could also been set to BB10 device), are in fact BB10 replication features. Which features are a lot more fluid and complete on BB10 OS then they are presently over Android OS.
    When looking at BB10 users jumping to the PRIV, there are many comments regarding lacking/lost functionalities and efficiencies they were used to. In fact other (the hardware aspect aside), is sound like the real gain is all turning around the fact that they now have access to all apps they want.

Now BlackBerry should definitively use that Customer market momentum to have those "new customer" also having a look at their BB10 devices. But for that, BlackBerry, need to realised that the apps gap will still be drawback for many of those.

Blackberry should really work with Google in order to make all the Google Play Store and Google Services fully supported and functional over BB10 devices.
    IMO having BB10 devices that could connect seamlessly with Google Store and Google Services will definitively be a game changer; Maintaining their current user base happy, getting back previous BB10 users who left due to the app gap, and attracting formal Android users, ...all of that with a regain of trust, increasing its user base, reviving developpers interest into developing for BB10.
    crimsonking and BionicKris like this.
    11-16-15 10:32 AM
    I still don't think the lack of apps is the main reason that BlackBerry couldn't sell enough BlackBerry 10 devices. In my opinion BlackBerry marketing strategy in Europe is very pour. I am from Romania, I was traveling in UK and Netherlands. Everywhere I was when people saw me with my BlackBerry Z10 they where very confused seeing an all touch BlackBerry device an asking me if it's the latest BlackBerry device, even in 2015. Other people thought BlackBerry is already dead, that they are not producing anything new since the BlackBerry Bold. Right after BlackBerry Passport was launched I read news that BlackBerry is closing their business. The only people who knows about BlackBerry 10 are the so called tech geeks, and they watch a lot of reviews on YouTube. Now, about those reviews... I wasn't a BlackBerry fan before I got my BlackBerry Z10 and I was very close to buy an Android device because of the bad reviews from YouTube. After all, I said "what a hell" and I bought a BlackBerry Z10. After that I realized most of the reviews where full of lies, especially The Verge reviews. People are buying IPhone's because "you are cool if you have an IPhone". BlackBerry can have the best product on the market, but without good advertising they will not sell anything. BlackBerry Priv will be a success because it was advertised successfully as "the first Android powered device from BlackBerry". BlackBerry 10 didn't have the same chance on any device. I may be wrong, but that's my opinion... and I don't believe anyone can secure Android.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bogdan Tudor Dan; 11-17-15 at 05:52 AM.
    11-16-15 12:00 PM
    Yes BB10 marketing was definitely deficient.

But IMO there was more that just the marketing aspect, Carriers (and their salesperson) worldwide never really support or wanted to sell any BlackBerry devices.
    When looking for a new phone, salesperson, we're always pushing for a iPhone or an Android device (for their own ego, and also related to indirect bonus for the big one Apple, Samsung). Even if you were specifically asking for a BB10 device, they were doing anything to discourage you not to and to take the other alternative.
    Even today, you go to a carrier store and will found salesperson that don't even know how to operate BB10 device. That tell a lot about their interest.

Now with the PRIV carrier are changing start changing their perspective and are now supporting BlackBerry.

So my suggestion remain to bring full support of Google Play and Google Services and then put new BB10 devices in salesperson pockets.

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    11-16-15 01:23 PM
    Guys, i appreciate that everyone here discuss and posting their ideas.
    But please stop to complain about marketing etc. Now this is the situation and this is the only thing that we can do for save BB10.

Please stay united. Who want to develop Free eBook on native BlackBerry 10 app development now available! | BlackBerry Developer Blog

But we don't need only developers, but also users that make community strong.
    corvted likes this.
    11-16-15 02:40 PM
    Did you fix your messenger app? If not, did you remove it from the store so people don't buy an app they can't work?
    Wait for a BIG announcement this week for messenger. I guarantee it thank you. And I didn't put an app in store that doesn't work. It works as described in the description. Please read well too.

Posted via CB10
    th.1977 likes this.
    11-16-15 04:47 PM
    Wait for a BIG announcement this week for messenger. I guarantee it thank you. And I didn't put an app in store that doesn't work. It works as described in the description. Please read well too.
    For those that bought it before the API vhange, but I sure gonna be rooting for that big announcement.

Reading isn't really the problem here though.
    11-16-15 07:28 PM
    Bb10 is going to be one hell of a zombie. It's dead but we will keep it kicking. I personally am tired of waiting for a replacement for my nearly 3 year old phone. I am on Verizon so I'm limited to what I can get. I woke love the Passport but not going to happen. I want something that doesn't exist and likely will never exist. I'm going to the Priv and if a new bb10 phone comes out I know I can sell a Droid

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 08:00 PM
    The only way anyone can influence John Chen is with money at this point because he has the best data in regard to the sales of BB10 devices. The only way I can see Chen is going to have blackberry support 2 operating systems is to make the BB10 profitably by itself and not have to rely on the android device sales to supplement BB10.

With the driver cost being an issue with BB10, my recommendation is that BB10 devices uses the same chipset going forward across devices, longer upgrade cycle (new phone every 2 or 3 years), and rip the android runtime environment out of BB10, given they are not planning to update it anyway.

At the end of the day us BB10 users need someone with enough money and/or influence to get to Chen with a plan to make BB10 profitable for blackberry and at the same time not hamper blackberry android device business.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 11:02 PM
    The only way anyone can influence John Chen is with money at this point because he has the best data in regard to the sales of BB10 devices. The only way I can see Chen is going to have blackberry support 2 operating systems is to make the BB10 profitably by itself and not have to rely on the android device sales to supplement BB10.

With the driver cost being an issue with BB10, my recommendation is that BB10 devices uses the same chipset going forward across devices, longer upgrade cycle (new phone every 2 or 3 years), and rip the android runtime environment out of BB10, given they are not planning to update it anyway.

At the end of the day us BB10 users need someone with enough money and/or influence to get to Chen with a plan to make BB10 profitable for blackberry and at the same time not hamper blackberry android device business.

Posted via CB10
    John Chen releases two niche products and wonders why they didn't sell in large quantities.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 04:53 AM
    You're absolutely correct. They're pandering more to 'new customers ' instead of to us BB loyalists.

But we wouldn't be using BB phones in a few years if the manufacturer isn't in business anymore! I'm not sure if you thought about that.

BlackBerry (and John Chen by extension) is doing everything they can to survive and break even.

Once they regain the confidence of the market by using a mix of BBDroid, my feeling is that BB10 OS will make a comeback.

Just my 2 cents though.

Yes, there may be a contingent of BlackBerry 10 believers within BlackBerry, but actions speak louder than words. It has been suggested a few times, not by me originally, but I'm a serious advocate for BlackBerry to think outside the box and consider alternative funding approaches for keeping BlackBerry 10 alive. Yes, that includes crowdfunding, or paying more for devices running BB10 than the identical device running Android, because there are additional costs to BlackBerry to get BlackBerry 10 running on Android... but they have to work WITH the BlackBerry 10 community, not AGAINST it.

The C|Net article includes a profile of how Android by BlackBerry came to be, and in I'm sure what will be recanted soon, it was explained that as soon as their current device rep, Ron Louks, came onboard he started lobbying to switch to Android, and the totally in-retrospect and-they-called-us-paranoid must-have-been-intentional-sabotage way that BlackBerry 10 OS and devices were marketed also speaks volumes about what their intentions were and are, despite what a few BB10 advocates within BB may say off the record.

Every action they have taken w.r.t. BB10 speaks far louder than the words i.e. "we're committed to BlackBerry 10", while they pull at every thread along the spine of the material that causes the whole thing to unravel. Those are the words of a "we'll say anything to keep moving product out the door but we won't back up our vague promises of commitment with ACTUAL promises of commitment.

Here's the deal:

The people who bought BlackBerry 10 devices ARE the ones that BlackBerry owes loyalty to, NOT the other way around. BlackBerry is investing all their energy in staying alive, but not sparing a penny to try to 'do right' by BB10 users. What this means is BlackBerry 10 cares about their NEXT customer, not their CURRENT customer, because they're doing SO LITTLE, SO PATHETICALLY LITTLE to support BB10 that it can only be characterized as saying whatever they need to say to move idle inventory, not one iota more.

They simply can't be trusted. If they want to regain our trust, let them get started immediately, and porting BB10 to the Slider would be an excellent place to start.

Or, they can just write BB10 fans off as "lunatic fanbois". But what is TRUE lunacy would be to put my trust in BlackBerry management. AGAIN.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 11:47 AM
    But we wouldn't be using BB phones in a few years if the manufacturer isn't in business anymore! I'm not sure if you thought about that.
    I'm not sure if you thought about whether or not I care if anyone uses a BB device running Android. I don't want to use it. I don't care who does use it.

BlackBerry (and John Chen by extension) is doing everything they can to survive and break even.
    I don't care what they do to survive if they sc*ew over their customers in the process. I don't care if all the kings and popes start declaring BlackBerry devices are a gift to mankind and everyone starts using them. They run their business in a customer-hostile manner. I don't want to be their customer in the future.

Once they regain the confidence of the market by using a mix of BBDroid, my feeling is that BB10 OS will make a comeback.
    That will absolutely not happen. BlackBerry has ceased development on BB10 and the only devices that will be released that run BB10 will be the equivalent of a $200 crap phone that no one actually wants to use, but BlackBerry lacks the economies of scale to sell it for $200, so they will sell it for $400. The only people who will use it will be a person who has to use because their employer is too cheap to buy their employees a nice phone, and the employer insists on BB10 for the security and messaging, nothing else.

The BB10 phone I have is quite good, but with such things we always look to the future and look forward to buying a faster higher-resolution and "more capable" version of what we have. That way forward is barred to BlackBerry 10 fans.

So, I'm trying iPhone for a few weeks to see if I should switch to iPhone now, or stay with my BB10 Z30 until maybe iOS 10 or 11 comes out, or my Z30 doesn't cut it any more (for example, if the battery doesn't hold a charge any more).

There is no quantum reality where BlackBerry being successful selling Android devices takes the profits from the Android devices and invests that money not in further development of Android, but invests it in BlackBerry 10.
    11-17-15 03:08 PM
    Also, if some of you know only how to program in HTML CSS JavaScript, you can program natively for BB10 using Cordova.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 04:23 PM
185 ... 23456 ...