https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_C...ation_Services
    Google and operators push Rich Communication Services with new Android RCS messaging client | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Paul Sawers

If this is implemented throughout the industry at the carrier level, will this reduce or eliminate the need for closed-off messaging platforms such as iMessage, Allo, and more importantly, WhatsApp?

Apparently it integrates large media transfer and delivery/read receipts. If this is true, that's all I want or need. I just need to be able to see that an text message is delivered (I thought I used to be able to do this on earlier BB10 OS releases).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has a keener perspective or grasp on this new standard (if it is a standard) and what it could possibly mean for cell phone communication in the future (i.e. allowing BB10 a better chance of life beyond WhatsApp).
    07-06-16 10:50 AM
    Sounds alot like what Jim wanted to do with BBM and SMS 2.0.... back in 2011/2012
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-06-16 11:02 AM
    Sounds alot like what Jim wanted to do with BBM and SMS 2.0.... back in 2011/2012
    Can you expand on this subject? Very interesting.
    07-06-16 11:28 AM
    As far as I remember BB10 had Joyn support since 10.2.0, although it's complicated by the fact that very few carriers use it. Even if it becomes commonplace, it'll be well after BB10's time.
    07-06-16 11:29 AM
    Can you expand on this subject? Very interesting.
    Not a lot is really known about it and how far they even tried to go with it... might never have been possible to begin with. It was just supposed one of the reasons Jim Balsillie stepped down....

losing the signal
    07-06-16 11:50 AM
    This book seems like it'll be interesting to read. Very interesting.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-16 12:22 PM
    Thank you. I really should read that.
    07-06-16 12:36 PM
    If you are a BlackBerry Fan.... it does make for a very interesting look into just what went wrong and why.
    07-06-16 01:06 PM
    If you are a BlackBerry Fan.... it does make for a very interesting look into just what went wrong and why.
    Can't agree more.
    07-06-16 01:18 PM
    Doing this at the carrier level is not in the consumers best interest. I would like to see it done OTT(over the top) instead of vertically integrated.
    07-06-16 07:27 PM
    didn't they want to do something like this years ago? I see a big issue: services like Whatsapp can be upgraded with new features easily. But something carrier based? it's so fragmented... we're not gonna see it catch on easily
    07-06-16 07:33 PM
    didn't they want to do something like this years ago? I see a big issue: services like Whatsapp can be upgraded with new features easily. But something carrier based? it's so fragmented... we're not gonna see it catch on easily
    There's nothing more fragmented than closed-wall, proprietary apps.
    07-06-16 08:14 PM
    I bet no one here was saying that when BBM was popular.

The issue with carrier based standards is that when it comes times to add new features you wait 10-15 years for RCS2. WA can add features in weeks.
    Ronindan likes this.
    07-06-16 09:10 PM
    How is proprietary app fragmented? Look at Whatsapp, all features are available on all platforms.

But that carrier next generation texting? Are you willing to bed some money that all carriers and all platforms will have it available?
    07-06-16 09:56 PM
    How is proprietary app fragmented? Look at Whatsapp, all features are available on all platforms.

But that carrier next generation texting? Are you willing to bed some money that all carriers and all platforms will have it available?
    As with any industry standard led by a coalition, universal implementation takes time.

And not everyone uses WhatsApp. Not every mobile platform is supported. There are tons of companies like WhatsApp competing for your information. Fragmentation amongst cell phone users.

Tell me, is 911-emergency response going to use WhatsApp, iMessage, Allo, BBM, WeChat, etc? An updated standard would be extremely useful in many situations, depending on the featureset.
    07-06-16 11:25 PM
    As with any industry standard led by a coalition, universal implementation takes time.

And not everyone uses WhatsApp. Not every mobile platform is supported. There are tons of companies like WhatsApp competing for your information. Fragmentation amongst cell phone users.

Tell me, is 911-emergency response going to use WhatsApp, iMessage, Allo, BBM, WeChat, etc? An updated standard would be extremely useful in many situations, depending on the featureset.
    Tell me, how often do you call or text 911 per day???

Tell me something else... what happened to Joyn since its introduction in 2012, 4 years ago??? You know that 4 years is an eternity in tech?

It's a nice idea, but requires the adoption by so many players. And it's just too late.

The reason why SMS is falling today is because it's so complicated and long to adapt and include new features. How would Joyn be different?
    07-07-16 08:17 AM
    Tell me, how often do you call or text 911 per day???

Tell me something else... what happened to Joyn since its introduction in 2012, 4 years ago??? You know that 4 years is an eternity in tech?

It's a nice idea, but requires the adoption by so many players. And it's just too late.

The reason why SMS is falling today is because it's so complicated and long to adapt and include new features. How would Joyn be different?
    What is Joyn?

RCS is an industry led coalition that is pushing a new set of standards. There were some recent articles about it.

Now is Email dead? I understand that technology changes, but it's not a big deal to be interested in an update to a standard. There are tons of email providers and protocols, but they all play pretty nice together, and then there are some platform specific features on top of that.

And 911 has some famous issues that prevent emergency services from responding properly. It's been in the news a lot lately. Especially concerning SMS and location determination. Why not update every aspect of human society to be in line with the times. Is that too utopian an ideal? to have emergency service working properly once you actually need the service?

All I'm saying is that there is nothing more boring than keeping track of 10 different popular text messaging platforms. And there is no reason to not hope for an updated mobile texting standard that supplants SMS.

(And honestly, I just don't want to have to switch from BB10 because of SMS's reliability issues. It seems we're all beholden to this duopoly of operating system, and that's garbage in my book.)
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 07-07-16 at 12:12 PM.
    07-07-16 12:02 PM
    What is Joyn?
    The marketing name for RCS: https://web.archive.org/web/20130129....com:80/about/

It's been around for a while (had Joyn tabs in the Hub on 10.2.0.methuselah), and like the RCS standard that it packages, very few if any people use it.
    07-07-16 12:23 PM
    The marketing name for RCS: https://web.archive.org/web/20130129....com:80/about/

It's been around for a while (had Joyn tabs in the Hub on 10.2.0.methuselah), and like the RCS standard that it packages, very few if any people use it.
    Thanks
    07-07-16 02:23 PM
    It could gain traction if functionality was baked in to every device without any user input - but I have the feeling that WhatsApp would always be one step ahead of them and that the carriers would just stumble through ham-fisted attempts at monetizing and marketing schemes. BlackBerry diehards will be very familiar with this scenario ....
    07-07-16 04:02 PM
    It could gain traction if functionality was baked in to every device without any user input - but I have the feeling that WhatsApp would always be one step ahead of them and that the carriers would just stumble through ham-fisted attempts at monetizing and marketing schemes. BlackBerry diehards will be very familiar with this scenario ....
    It is already baked in to the degree that carriers want it to be. This is really just an effort to pull communications off data (which while lucrative can easily move to Wi-Fi were others get the profits) back to a wireless carrier only channel so they can start gouging customers like they used to with SMS. It hasn't gone anywhere because rather than agreeing on a unified cross platform solution carriers want to lock their customers into their own products. Maybe the only time when carrier greed has worked to our benefit.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    07-07-16 04:49 PM
    What is Joyn?

RCS is an industry led coalition that is pushing a new set of standards. There were some recent articles about it.

Now is Email dead? I understand that technology changes, but it's not a big deal to be interested in an update to a standard. There are tons of email providers and protocols, but they all play pretty nice together, and then there are some platform specific features on top of that.

And 911 has some famous issues that prevent emergency services from responding properly. It's been in the news a lot lately. Especially concerning SMS and location determination. Why not update every aspect of human society to be in line with the times. Is that too utopian an ideal? to have emergency service working properly once you actually need the service?

All I'm saying is that there is nothing more boring than keeping track of 10 different popular text messaging platforms. And there is no reason to not hope for an updated mobile texting standard that supplants SMS.

(And honestly, I just don't want to have to switch from BB10 because of SMS's reliability issues. It seems we're all beholden to this duopoly of operating system, and that's garbage in my book.)
    The problem is that Joyn or RCS is just the equivalent of a messaging app that will never get upgraded and that isn't gaining any traction with any carriers. I highly doubt that even with googles support, it will get any traction. Whatsapp is solidly implemented in that market.
    07-07-16 07:28 PM
    who in this forum ever thinks that in case old Joyn (Deutsche Telekom offered a client, or still does?) or new RCS will come to life, even in our BB10, that people will change into a service which might be a more secure, more stable (is WA unstable?) and payed service from mobile operators from lifetime free WA? Normal users do not care about security and data mining from Apple and Google...they are just happy about what it does for them, or what is it with Windows 10???? off topic: everybody says they (Microsoft) are start mining the usage of their OS and DO the free upgrade and in the next second they start using an iOS or Android....and do not care!
    07-08-16 06:08 AM