With failed or failing apks, a direct visit to the website is a good or better alternative.
    CNN v.2.8 is not bad but is elderly, and shows it.
    Visit edition.cnn.com using BB10's native browser. Apart from being slow, for which there's probably no solution, I cannot get any of the (very many) embedded videos to play. Any ideas? Thank you!
    Just in case the answer is Use Another Browser e.g. Firefox or Dolphin or whatever, is there a way to Add To Home Screen that would make the alternative choice browser the one that was used to view the saved link?
    06-07-20 12:29 AM
    With failed or failing apks, a direct visit to the website is a good or better alternative.
    Visit edition.cnn.com using BB10's native browser. Apart from being slow, for which there's probably no solution, I cannot get any of the (very many) embedded videos to play. Any ideas? Thank you!
    Just in case the answer is Use Another Browser e.g. Firefox or Dolphin or whatever, is there a way to Add To Home Screen that would make the alternative choice browser the one that was used to view the saved link?
    You can copy the link to smart tags, set the uri, then long press to select a default app to open that uri.

Watching the videos however, If you can get the web browsers player to try to start playing I have a solution for you.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 06-07-20 at 02:10 AM.
    06-07-20 02:00 AM
    Watching the videos however, If you can get the player to try to start playing I have a solution for you.
    Thank you. Yes, the roundel circulates interminably suggesting that the video is trying to start, but never actually does .. .. anything you can offer will be gratefully accepted.
    06-07-20 02:11 AM
    Thank you. Yes, the roundel circulates interminably suggesting that the video is trying to start, but never actually does .. .. anything you can offer will be gratefully accepted.
    This is it. Save the link to your clipboard or your browsers bookmarks. It will ask you for permission to open popups cause that is what it does. When you paste it to the address bar it works in that window. Same if you use the built in bookmarks.
    https://cdpn.io/RJLeyra/debug/PoZqRgv

Posted via CB10
    06-07-20 02:28 AM
    Thank you. Sorry to be dim - I'm just not sure what to do. In today's news, for instance, I visited this story:
    https://edition.cnn.com/videos/healt...tez-nr-vpx.cnn
    Press Play and get the rotating roundel. I've got your link bookmarked. What now? (Sorry!)
    06-29-20 12:50 AM
    Thank you. Sorry to be dim - I'm just not sure what to do. In today's news, for instance, I visited this story:
    https://edition.cnn.com/videos/healt...tez-nr-vpx.cnn
    Press Play and get the rotating roundel. I've got your link bookmarked. What now? (Sorry!)
    Hey no problem. I managed to get the video to play without the bookmarklet in the private browser but it wasn't fast or ideal.

The bookmarklet is intended to be pasted into the browsers url and then submitted while you are watching or loading the video.The BB10 stock browser can save links using the 'javascript' protocol so you can use them on any webpage and don't need to paste from your clipboard everytime.

The script within the bookmarklet I linked queries the document for all media sources, and then tries to to open the media source from the server in a new window (tab). Which actually allows you to play it minimized and to rip the media by saving the page.

I didn't have luck using the bookmarklet on their page. Seems their videos are streamed from a proxy using encoding instead from a mount point or file (which the bookmarklet required). This is completely fine in my opinion but the site itself has a lot of network activity. Somewhat excessive for an old phone like a BB10.

I don't use the site really but are their videos not on youtube?

I'm sure there is an alternative aggregate for their videos like from RSS.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 07-01-20 at 04:08 AM.
    06-29-20 02:50 AM
    Maybe try a different browser?
    06-29-20 03:04 PM
    Hey fergus,

I'd use the APKs if I were you. Let me know if you need a link--there is a confirmed working version that should be no trouble.

As for browsers, there is a way to set default browsers which would let you use an alternative one to open links.
    06-30-20 03:46 PM
    I'd use the APKs if I were you. Let me know if you need a link--there is a confirmed working version that should be no trouble.

As for browsers, there is a way to set default browsers which would let you use an alternative one to open links.
    Thank you so much.
    1. I've visited my usual preferred sites UpToDown and APKpure and a couple of others, all offering variations on v5 and v6, all of which come back with the familiar
    "Unable to install". Can't now remember v.2.8' s limitations but there were several. If you can recommend a link that would be terrific. Thank you.
    2. Have struggled with alternatives like Firefox (really slow? - in my experience at least) and Dolphin. Also Flash Browser from the bar file. If you have a recommendation that would be great .. and
    3. Never managed to make any of the alternatives the default, even for a saved Save to Home Screen, let alone in general. Any instructions highly welcome.
    Sorry to be so needy. At this stage all extensions to BB10 capability are massively worthwhile.
    06-30-20 11:59 PM
    Thank you so much.
    1. I've visited my usual preferred sites UpToDown and APKpure and a couple of others, all offering variations on v5 and v6, all of which come back with the familiar
    "Unable to install". Can't now remember v.2.8' s limitations but there were several. If you can recommend a link that would be terrific. Thank you.
    2. Have struggled with alternatives like Firefox (really slow? - in my experience at least) and Dolphin. Also Flash Browser from the bar file. If you have a recommendation that would be great .. and
    3. Never managed to make any of the alternatives the default, even for a saved Save to Home Screen, let alone in general. Any instructions highly welcome.
    Sorry to be so needy. At this stage all extensions to BB10 capability are massively worthwhile.
    You can't make another browser the default. BB10 has a built-in invocation mechanism that points to sys.browser - unless a specific app has the ability to do so internally.

There is no version of CNN that will work. The last one to load on BB10 (2.9.6) has been deprecated.

You can get an RSS feed for it though.
    Last edited by conite; 07-01-20 at 01:08 AM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-01-20 12:37 AM