As you Linux users out there know, there is no BlackBerry Link for us, and mass storage is only available for the external SD card, but we are not screwed! All you need to do is use network manager (or otherwise connect to the USB Network provided by the BlackBerry), set your device to connect to a windows computer, activate wifi sharing, and plug her in. You will see a notification along the lines of "wired connection 2 connected". Then on your BlackBerry, go settings > about > network and find the USB ip address. Now just connect to the smb share at that address, log in, and you'll be transferring files over USB with no problems! And you'll have access to the internal and SD storage.
    Oh and you can update the OS with sachesi! I haven't tried BlackBerry Link in virtual box yet, but judging from my experience with OS 7, you'll probably be able to backup and restore your phone with the windows software just fine.
    The only limitation is that you will need a windows pc to use the autoloaders of you brick your phone. But, that outs us Linux users in the same boat as mac users... not bad, eh?
    FF22, Igorriok, PHughes and 2 others like this.
    04-06-14 10:18 PM
    Nobody needs BB Link for file transfer.

You can transfer every kind of files using several methods also on Linux. First and most stable is simple USB. The next is FTP. Then you have Bluetooth. I heard about Samba some days ago but I think this is some kind of overkill. Why use Samba when you have USB??? There's absolutely no advantage.

BTW: You speak from a very special Linux or Desktop Environment here. A normal Linux user will not get any "notification" of something plugged in at all. And why is wifi-sharing needed when you have to plug it in?
    04-07-14 02:12 AM
    Nobody needs BB Link for file transfer.

You can transfer every kind of files using several methods also on Linux. First and most stable is simple USB. The next is FTP. Then you have Bluetooth. I heard about Samba some days ago but I think this is some kind of overkill. Why use Samba when you have USB??? There's absolutely no advantage.

BTW: You speak from a very special Linux or Desktop Environment here. A normal Linux user will not get any "notification" of something plugged in at all. And why is wifi-sharing needed when you have to plug it in?
    There is no mass storage available for the internal storage, only the SD card. Samba over USB is the fastest way to transfer files, especially if you have a weak wifi signal.

Wifi sharing is needed for samba (as far as I can tell it is the toggle for the samba server).

If you've figured out a way to mount the internal storage over USB, please let me know.

And yes, I was half asleep when I typed the op out and you are correct, without a DE that notifies you of newly connected networks you will not receive a notification.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 02:28 PM
    On opensuse, Dolphin sees the SD card. You just click on it.

I'm using KDE if that makes a difference.

You are still stuck doing backups on windows. I'm really amazed there is no way to backup the phone on a SD card.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 10:51 PM
    If you've figured out a way to mount the internal storage over USB, please let me know.
    We spoke about file transfer, so I assumed "normal" pictures, videos, MP3 and such stuff.

You can see the whole device (including the OS files) using FTP. You can install an FTP server app on the BB for that. In this case the PC is the FTP client. You need both devices in the same wifi network for that, the provided FTP address will be a local one (192.168.0.x). Then you can transfer every single file you want in both directions (except files that are protected by access privileges). This works surprisingly good and stable and needs much less overhead than Samba, especially you don't need any BB options to set, just start the FTP server.
    pystha likes this.
    04-08-14 02:22 AM
    We spoke about file transfer, so I assumed "normal" pictures, videos, MP3 and such stuff.

You can see the whole device (including the OS files) using FTP. You can install an FTP server app on the BB for that. In this case the PC is the FTP client. You need both devices in the same wifi network for that, the provided FTP address will be a local one (192.168.0.x). Then you can transfer every single file you want in both directions (except files that are protected by access privileges). This works surprisingly good and stable and needs much less overhead than Samba, especially you don't need any BB options to set, just start the FTP server.
    I'm going to try this eventually, but if you set up Momentics, the developer IDE, it makes the usb look like an ethernet port to the phone. So I suspect you can get inside the phone that way.

BGShellPlus let's you use the QNX ftp command on the phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:09 AM
    There is no mass storage available for the internal storage, only the SD card. Samba over USB is the fastest way to transfer files, especially if you have a weak wifi signal.

Wifi sharing is needed for samba (as far as I can tell it is the toggle for the samba server).

And yes, I was half asleep when I typed the op out and you are correct, without a DE that notifies you of newly connected networks you will not receive a notification.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, the SD card shows up. Thats the external SD card though, not the built in storage.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 11:32 AM

I'm not talking about the device storage, I'm talking about the internal user storage. Even with mass storage turned on, only the EXTERNAL SD card shows up on the computer.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    You can plug the BlackBerry into Ubuntu and then turn on Mass Storage Mode under settings on your BlackBerry....thats how I transfer files on a Linux ON.

Posted via CB10 with my BlackBerry Z10
    04-08-14 03:12 PM
    You can plug the BlackBerry into Ubuntu and then turn on Mass Storage Mode under settings on your BlackBerry....thats how I transfer files on a Linux ON.

Can you access the internal 16GB of storage via mass storage? I cannot.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 06:36 PM
    I'm not talking about the device storage, I'm talking about the internal user storage. Even with mass storage turned on, only the EXTERNAL SD card shows up on the computer.
    What is difficult to understand in "You can see the whole device (including the OS files) using FTP"?
    04-09-14 01:11 AM
    What is difficult to understand in "You can see the whole device (including the OS files) using FTP"?
    Please tell me which FTP Server you're talking about and how to install it on my BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 01:26 AM
    Please tell me which FTP Server you're talking about and how to install it on my BlackBerry
    I use an app called FTP Server, subtitle FTP Server for BlackBerry PlayBook, written by Ilango Arthanari, available from BB World without any costs.

When you start it it tells you a local FTP address and a special port (2121). If you connect your favourite PC-FTP-client-application to this address you have immediately access to your whole device. (Again: both devices must be in the same wifi network for this, this is the only condition.)
    pystha, Vilory and unclebanglin like this.
    04-09-14 02:39 AM
    I use an app called FTP Server, subtitle FTP Server for BlackBerry PlayBook, written by Ilango Arthanari, available from BB World without any costs.

When you start it it tells you a local FTP address and a special port (2121). If you connect your favourite PC-FTP-client-application to this address you have immediately access to your whole device. (Again: both devices must be in the same wifi network for this, this is the only condition.)
    Thank you for the explanation.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 08:31 AM
    What's so difficult to understand that my solution is not about modifying os files and doesn't require installing additional software? Why is everyone on this forum so aggressive? How old are you? 12?

This thread is probably going to get locked now and this is why we can't have nice things

Also opening your BlackBerry to system modification is a potential security concern, and most people would probably rather not do that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by BDLIVE4463; 04-09-14 at 09:24 AM.
    04-09-14 09:14 AM
    What's so difficult to understand that my solution is not about modifying os files and doesn't require installing additional software? Why is everyone on this forum so aggressive?
    Because your solution is not viable for a lot of us *nix users (Running Arch/NetBSD + spectrwm). Installing Samba (and likely GVFS/cifs-utils and a host of additional deps) is certainly not as elegant as FTP. A custom udev rule is likely the most elegant solution of them all.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2947
    ILMostro7 and muellerto like this.
    04-09-14 09:41 AM
    Because your solution is not viable for a lot of us *nix users (Running Arch/NetBSD + spectrwm). Installing Samba (and likely GVFS/cifs-utils and a host of additional deps) is certainly not as elegant as FTP. A custom udev rule is likely the most elegant solution of them all.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947 | STA100-3 10.2.1.2947
    OK I see your point. However, most distros come with a samba client already installed (most people are not running bsd or arch, they're running something derived from Ubuntu). I'm not saying your solution is wrong, but I'd rather use samba than risk opening up the entire file system on my BlackBerry. Whoever may come along looking for how to access their BlackBerry 10 device and finds this thread can decide for themselves because both solutions have been discussed.

Either way you're going to be installing something somewhere, be it Ftp on your phone or smbclient on your computer.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:44 AM
    What's so difficult to understand that my solution is not about modifying os files
    Did I claim this? Or did I say this is my aim, modifying OS files? I mentioned OS files by the way, in passing, incidently - mostly for reading.
    and doesn't require installing additional software?
    On the BB, yes. But this whole Samba stuff on the PC is something I simply don't want to have, I would have to install and configure this manually for just this one and only purpose, I don't have any Windows shares or something else I need Samba for. But I already have several good working FTP clients by default, with and without GUI.
    Why is everyone on this forum so aggressive? How old are you? 12?
    47. I'm a Linuxer since 1992 (0.99, Slackware, BTW: now Arch for some years) and a software developer for 20 years. I know what I'm talking about.
    Also opening your BlackBerry to system modification is a potential security concern, and most people would probably rather not do that.
    I do not open anything. I guess that system relevant files on both systems are seriously protected by access privileges. You will probably not be able to damage your system by FTP as described. Would be interesting to test. - And what about your Samba connection? Is this more safe? Really?
    Last edited by muellerto; 04-10-14 at 10:16 AM.
    pystha likes this.
    04-10-14 01:42 AM
    I have this idea, probably founded in nothing scientific, that keeping my linux box windows unfriendly makes it harder for some hacker to get to my linux box from a windows box on the same lan. So I try everything NOT to use Samba. I do media serving on the lan, but with daemons dishing out the data.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 02:09 AM
    On Ubuntu I can yes.

04-15-14 03:00 PM
    Samba, or at least CIFS, is much more secure than FTP. Especially if you're not using SFTP.

Samba has also essentially made itself the default file transfer method through the ubiquity of Windows. It's supported natively in BB10, including the higher level security of NTLM v2.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 05:01 AM
    Up usb0 (example) and blackberry-connect enable SSH. Then initiate an SSH session to the device and run shell commands. This has been detailed everywhere on BlackBerry-related blogs and forums. No Samba, no FTP. FUSE and SSHFS for GUI control.
    04-16-14 10:09 AM
    Samba, or at least CIFS, is much more secure than FTP. Especially if you're not using SFTP.

Samba has also essentially made itself the default file transfer method through the ubiquity of Windows. It's supported natively in BB10, including the higher level security of NTLM v2.

Posted via CB10
    On a lan, FTP is fine. Over the Internet, SFTP is a must.

Windows can do NFS too. With a lot of pain, you can make win 7 do NFS on the cheaper editions rather than just on Ultimate.

We're learning a lot about open source security these days. ;-) The audit of truecrypt is fascinating. Some integers are signed, which makes them targets of buffer overflows. Some of the code can be negated by too smart optimization in the compiler. Basically if you write zeroes to a buffer to destroy the old data but never read the buffer, some compilers will remove that step.

Posted via CB10
    muellerto likes this.
    04-16-14 02:10 PM
    Guys, if you open up an smb share in Dolphin (Sorry I only use KDE), you can get to the phone file system as well as the sd card. The phone file system will only be the shared folder access, not the root file system.

Enable the WIFI sharing option in the settings on the phone (Settings > Storage and Access > Access using WI-FI), and enter a password. Take note of the identification of the phone in Windows by going into the Settings > Storage and Access > Identification on Network and also the IP address you want to use (in my case IPv4 over WIFI. Settings > About > Network). In Dolphin, enter "smb://phone_id@IP_address/". You will be prompted to enter the password. If successful, you will get two folders, "media" and "removable_sdcard".

Take your pick. If you're using *untu variants, i'm sure the process is pretty similar.

No need to install FTP or any other software.
    BDLIVE4463 likes this.
    04-22-14 11:44 AM
    My version of Dolphin requires you to right click on "network", then "add entry". I don't see a place to enter the address as you indicated. Otherwise it works as you said.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-14 10:18 PM
40 12