I'm inclined to agree that Facebook data gets priority. You'd think your email account data would as that's logical.

Posted via CB10
    hmm it makes sense in a way too
    example:
    someone gets married and their last name changes
    in your contacts it would have the old last name if you didnt talk to them much (which means you had no idea about the name change) or if you didnt change it yourself manually
    but more than likely this person will update their name on Facebook, which will then in turn get updated in your contact list ?
    thats how i think it works?

so far i turned off facebook and twitter contacts from even showing up in my contact list haha
    gotta go through and link each contact up with their corresponding facebook contact in order for it to happen....
    How To: sync your GMail calendar with BB10-ain-t-nobody-got-time-fo-dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg
    southlander likes this.
    02-20-13 03:51 AM
    sorry for derailing a little bit but....

I have a Google Apps for Business account (and own domain) but I still can't add my Google Apps account throught Activesync.

All I get is an error message "Service for account ([email protected])is not available. Access should be available soon. [Error code: 403]"

Domain: empty (doesn't help if I add google, or m.google.com or my domain address here)
    Username: [email protected]
    passwd: my password
    server: m.google.com
    SSL: on
    Push: on

Any tips what could be wrong?
    02-20-13 07:36 AM
    hmm it makes sense in a way too
    example:
    someone gets married and their last name changes
    in your contacts it would have the old last name if you didnt talk to them much (which means you had no idea about the name change) or if you didnt change it yourself manually
    but more than likely this person will update their name on Facebook, which will then in turn get updated in your contact list ?
    thats how i think it works?

so far i turned off facebook and twitter contacts from even showing up in my contact list haha
    gotta go through and link each contact up with their corresponding facebook contact in order for it to happen....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	136902
    Some of the surnames that disappear don't have Facebook profiles, I checked all my contacts.
    Strange.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 09:54 AM
    Some of the surnames that disappear don't have Facebook profiles, I checked all my contacts.
    Strange.

Posted via CB10
    This has been driving me insane for close to a year. The PBOS had the same issue. Changes made to contacts will eventually revert back to how they were before you changed them. It doesn't need to be Facebook, I personally have found it to be any cloud service - Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc... There are lots of issues with contacts. I've found that if a Facebook friend has their number as +12121234567 but the contact is also in my address book as (212) 123-4567, I get two phone numbers. If I delete the Facebook number, it's only gone briefly. It WILL come back. I've reported this on Beta Zone for ages, emailed the PM in Beta Zone... Once BB10 came out I posted on their boards again, and supposedly the devs have identified the issue and are working on a fix to be in an upcoming software update.
    02-20-13 10:07 AM
    Worked like a charm... Thanks so much

It seems there's still a lot of miss-information out there about just how to setup your gmail calendar in BB10..

Some are still suggesting active sync, which is just bad advice at this point.. it seems Google took their time flipping the switch after January 30th, so those who setup their z10's in the first week of February got lucky.. but anybody trying to do so at this point will get nothing but a 403 error..

Others aren't sure of the process to setup CalDAV, or they are getting it added but end up causing themselves problems by removing it when they don't see immediate results or two way sync..

I posted this information up in reply to another thread a few days ago, and several users suggested it be a sticky , as they had been finding conflicting information and had trouble drilling down to the correct steps... so here it is.. what i'll call the be all and end all.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...st_luc/com.jpg

First of all, as I said above.. if you are using a free Gmail account and don't have active sync configured by now.. that dream is dead. Have a cry, write a song about it, eat a tub of ice cream if that's what it takes for you to get over the loss, but if anyone tells you to try that method of setting up your BB10 device, kindly ask them to stop spouting non-sense. Active sync is no longer a supported method for free gmail accounts. Contrary to rumors there is no reprieve until July.. unless you are for some reason reading this from your windows 8 device, and it doesn't matter if your playbook or other device is already connected to your account via active sync.. it's on a per device basis.. NO NEW DEVICES.

Now.. on to CalDAV..

If you haven't yet added your Gmail account to your BB10 device, simply using the default setup will do the trick.. from the settings menu or from the hub.. select accounts.. add account.. email, calendar and contacts.. type in your email address youraccountATgmailDOTcom.. click next..enter your password.. click next.. leave all 3 services selected.. click next..you will then see 3 separate entries called Gmail.. one IMAP, one CarDAV and one CalDAV.

You are done! DO NOT PANIC if you don't see your gmail calendar right away.. it can take 24 hours or even more for the initial sync to happen and for appointments to populate your calendar, but it will usually happen within a few minutes.. at this point, once your appointments do start to sync you will notice you aren't able to choose your Gmail calendar as your default or add new entry's to it. DO NOT PANIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE CALENDAR! Doing so will cause you significant delays and require you to start the whole process over again! It can take an additional 24 to 48 hours for whatever reason before the two way sync protocols are downloaded, but they will come through if you LEAVE IT ALONE! After 24 hours test your calendar by creating a new appointment, if you can select the Gmail calendar you can then go into the accounts menu and set it as the default for future entry's!

IF for any reason you have already deleted the CalDAV entry.. you must now WAIT AT LEAST 24 HOURS before trying to re-add the calendar.. this is a known issue with Gmail with no ETA for resolution if at all.. any attempt to re-add your Gmail calendar will fail authentication and reset the clock for an additional 24 hours.

After waiting a FULL 24 HOURS.. go to settings.. accounts..add account... advanced...CalDAV.. then enter the following information:

Description anything you want.. most just use Gmail
    Username youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Email youraccountATgmailDOTcom
    Password yourgmailpassword
    Server https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/...lDOTcom/events <----- that's the proper address.. but it seems you can also just use wwwDOTgoogleDOTcom and it works..

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...G_00000054.png

Click Done, and you are done! DO NOT PANIC if you don't see your gmail calendar right away.. it can take 24 hours or even more for the initial sync to happen and for appointments to populate your calendar, but it will usually happen within a few minutes.. at this point, once your appointments do start to sync you will notice you aren't able to choose your Gmail calendar as your default or add new entry's to it. DO NOT PANIC! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DELETE THE CALENDAR! Doing so will cause you significant delays and require you to start the whole process over again! It can take an additional 24 to 48 hours for whatever reason before the two way sync protocols are downloaded, but they will come through if you LEAVE IT ALONE! After 24 hours test your calendar by creating a new appointment, if you can select the Gmail calendar you can then go into the accounts menu and set it as the default for future entry's!

If this post has been informative for you please click thanks!
    just_luc likes this.
    02-20-13 10:19 AM
    This has been driving me insane for close to a year. The PBOS had the same issue. Changes made to contacts will eventually revert back to how they were before you changed them. It doesn't need to be Facebook, I personally have found it to be any cloud service - Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc... There are lots of issues with contacts. I've found that if a Facebook friend has their number as +12121234567 but the contact is also in my address book as (212) 123-4567, I get two phone numbers. If I delete the Facebook number, it's only gone briefly. It WILL come back. I've reported this on Beta Zone for ages, emailed the PM in Beta Zone... Once BB10 came out I posted on their boards again, and supposedly the devs have identified the issue and are working on a fix to be in an upcoming software update.
    Yes, I make changes to the contacts affected and it's fine for a few days, then bam! No surname or it reverts back to the spelling I changed. Non of my contacts with Facebook are affected. Only those I added manualy and linked to their twitter details.
    I don't have the box ticked to find additional data either.

All I want are my edits to stick.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 10:30 AM
    sorry for derailing a little bit but....

I have a Google Apps for Business account (and own domain) but I still can't add my Google Apps account throught Activesync.

All I get is an error message "Service for account ([email protected])is not available. Access should be available soon. [Error code: 403]"

Domain: empty (doesn't help if I add google, or m.google.com or my domain address here)
    Username: [email protected]
    passwd: my password
    server: m.google.com
    SSL: on
    Push: on

Any tips what could be wrong?
    You are paying for google apps, or you have the grandfathered free account?
    02-20-13 10:31 AM
    You are paying for google apps, or you have the grandfathered free account?
    I am paying for it so it should work right

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 01:08 PM
    I am paying for it so it should work right

Posted via CB10
    Yes. If you are paying the 5 bucks a month you are entitled to active sync. You are also entitled to live support. Give Google a call and start ticket.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 02:27 PM
    Thank you! I was having issues changing the sync interval for my calendar, so I deleted the CalDav entry. I couldn't add that account again until I followed these steps.
    02-20-13 02:34 PM
    thanks for this post....

i'm waiting for the option to choose gmail calendar entry...

hopefully it doesn't need another 48hrs!
    02-20-13 04:42 PM
    I never understand all of these issues. I add my gmail account and I am done with it.
    southlander likes this.
    02-20-13 04:56 PM
    Nicely done. Thank you!
    02-20-13 06:25 PM
    Thanks for this post. If I had seen it 1 week ago it might have saved me a lot of time.
    However I didn't, so I got a outlook.com account, set it up with the standard method and everything works, perfectly, no waiting. 2 way sync, invites, multiple calendars, everything.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 07:26 PM
    thanks for this post....

i'm waiting for the option to choose gmail calendar entry...

hopefully it doesn't need another 48hrs!
    A few people have reported that it actually took a little more then 48 hours, but in the end it does come through.. just wait it out.

Posted via CB10
    bluetroll likes this.
    02-20-13 10:03 PM
    A few people have reported that it actually took a little more then 48 hours, but in the end it does come through.. just wait it out.

Posted via CB10
    This is where I'm at. 48 hours was up about 20 mins ago. Will be excited when it happens.
    02-20-13 10:16 PM
    This is where I'm at. 48 hours was up about 20 mins ago. Will be excited when it happens.
    Keep us posted!

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 09:49 AM
    Re: surnames - it's only some twitter contacts whose surnames vanish, especially if that person hasn't set a surname on Twitter. Seems to only affect Gmail contacts.

Added my outlook.com and hosted email accounts (work), both use EAS and I didn't even have to dive into advanced settings - everything is synced.
    Just Gmail refusing to play nice - think I'll ditch it on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 10:59 AM
    Whether we like it or not, Gmail and associated contacts and calendars are among the most widely used services in the world. I have to wonder how many people, who will never visit CB or see this thread, will return their Z10s in disgust over these issues. Not everyone is going to be willing just to move everything to Outlook. People who don't know they have to wait 48+ hours will, very reasonably, think it just doesn't work, and I have serious doubts as to whether their carrier's tech support will know what to do. If, as some suggest, this is simply Google's way of playing hardball, it seems like an effective play.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-21-13 12:54 PM
    39 Thanks and still not a sticky ...
    02-21-13 01:44 PM
    Good info, I just hope I don't have to work to hard to get my synced. I don't use a calendar much, but need my contacts. Maybe Blackberry will work at this and make a gmail setting that works better/faster later on.
    02-21-13 01:52 PM
    Whether we like it or not, Gmail and associated contacts and calendars are among the most widely used services in the world. I have to wonder how many people, who will never visit CB or see this thread, will return their Z10s in disgust over these issues. Not everyone is going to be willing just to move everything to Outlook. People who don't know they have to wait 48+ hours will, very reasonably, think it just doesn't work, and I have serious doubts as to whether their carrier's tech support will know what to do. If, as some suggest, this is simply Google's way of playing hardball, it seems like an effective play.
    The deeper I dig, the more I'm convinced that Google want people to play by their rules. Yes, Google are playing hardball.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 02:38 PM
    Keep us posted!

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Still no 2 way syncing on the Calendar. Can't imput or change to Gmail calendar on the z10. Coming up to 68 hours now.
    02-21-13 04:18 PM
    Got impatient, and deleted my Gmail email, contacts and calendar off the Z10. Then tried to re-install. Email and contacts came across again no problem. Calendar didn't. Got the "blah blah blah, try again soon" error message.
    02-21-13 04:36 PM
    If, as some suggest, this is simply Google's way of playing hardball, it seems like an effective play.
    Yeeeep. How many Z10 owners do you honestly think will see this thread?

And even if all of them do, why should these steps even be necessary? Little things like this are the kind of issues that are the last straw that force people to return their phones for something that is "easier to use". The onus is on BB to communicate with their user base before they get the brunt of the complaints.
    02-21-13 04:55 PM
174 12345 ...