I've looked at historical threads but they are overwhelming and confusing especially with references to Hotmail and/or Office particularly Office 365.
    I have a Microsoft ID and with it a "free" email address which is {myID}{2digits}@outlook.com and on my W10 machine using the Mail app I can send/ receive/ manage email comms easily and adequately. (Not managed to integrate Contacts yet but I'm sure I'll get there too.)
    NB I am NOT using Office software in any shape or form.
    Question: is it possible to set up this account on my BlackBerry Z10 i.e. using BB10?
    If so, please can somebody say how? Through POP, IMAP or ExchangeActiveSync? or other? I've used first and third but in all cases would need to know server addresses and ports.
    Thanks so much for any help, including a definitive "Sorry, this is not possible on BB10".

Posted via CB10
    11-14-19 05:21 AM
    I've looked at historical threads but they are overwhelming and confusing especially with references to Hotmail and/or Office particularly Office 365.
    I have a Microsoft ID and with it a "free" email address which is {myID}{2digits}@outlook.com and on my W10 machine using the Mail app I can send/ receive/ manage email comms easily and adequately. (Not managed to integrate Contacts yet but I'm sure I'll get there too.)
    NB I am NOT using Office software in any shape or form.
    Question: is it possible to set up this account on my BlackBerry Z10 i.e. using BB10?
    If so, please can somebody say how? Through POP, IMAP or ExchangeActiveSync? or other? I've used first and third but in all cases would need to know server addresses and ports.
    Thanks so much for any help, including a definitive "Sorry, this is not possible on BB10".

Posted via CB10
    https://getmailspring.com/setup/acce...-via-imap-smtp
    11-14-19 05:30 AM
    I have my personal outlook.com account on my Z10 with no issues. Using the EAS option so I can sync calendar and contacts. The same account is also syncing to my Galaxy S9, Amazon Fire tablet and my PC.

On the Z10, the server address is eas.outlook.com, and the port is 443. No domain name, but use your email address as the username, and turn on SSL. Should work fine.

If you have 2 factor authentication turned on in outlook, that's a bit more complicated, so someone else will have to help out with that.
    int3h likes this.
    11-14-19 07:17 AM
    What about MSN e-mail? My BB10 (Passport) stopped synching with it. I tried both the POP and IMAP settings together with SMTP as described below and I am getting errors and timeouts. Originally, no advanced setup was needed. My BB just selected the correct servers based on my e-mail address. Not anymore.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-6c6c4ac95353
    11-14-19 07:42 AM
    We need a sticky for this, obviously. I can help with the documentation, but we need to identify the use cases. Here are my suggestions:

1)CONSUMER EMAIL:

Outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc. with and without 2nd factor authentication

2) PROFESSIONAL EMAIL

Office 365 Cloud Exchange server with and without 2nd factor Authentication

Does that cover it?

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    11-14-19 08:10 AM
    This would be great. I have Contacts spread across 3 phones and 2 computers. Want to sync Contacts and Calendar using Outlook.com.
    11-14-19 10:12 AM
    We need a sticky for this, obviously. I can help with the documentation, but we need to identify the use cases. Here are my suggestions:

1)CONSUMER EMAIL:

Outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc. with and without 2nd factor authentication

2) PROFESSIONAL EMAIL

Office 365 Cloud Exchange server with and without 2nd factor Authentication

Does that cover it?

Sounds good to me. Should there be separate sections for Yahoo and Gmail? It seems Yahoo has been especially problematic for some users over the past few years.
    11-14-19 11:55 AM
    Sounds good to me. Should there be separate sections for Yahoo and Gmail? It seems Yahoo has been especially problematic for some users over the past few years.
    YES! There should be totally separate How To's for Gmail and Yahoo. Too confusing otherwise.
    11-14-19 12:37 PM
    YES! There should be totally separate How To's for Gmail and Yahoo. Too confusing otherwise.
    FYI, I can't help with either of those, as I don't use them.

11-14-19 01:10 PM
    FYI, I can't help with either of those, as I don't use them.

Yeah, I have no experience with those either. I'm sure someone around here does, though.
    11-14-19 01:44 PM
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but for the BlackBerry 10 users such as myself, what is a reasonable timeframe before some of popular consumer email stops working on BlackBerry 10?

How long of a runway do we have with Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook etc? For some of the standards that those providers use, how far behind is BlackBerry 10?

I know for corporate email some users are running to their employer requiring Android 9 and 10, so compared to BB10 we are talking a different world.

I'm just trying to ball park how long I can reasonably expect email on my BlackBerry 10 devices.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-19 02:56 PM
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but for the BlackBerry 10 users such as myself, what is a reasonable timeframe before some of popular consumer email stops working on BlackBerry 10?

How long of a runway do we have with Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook etc? For some of the standards that those providers use, how far behind is BlackBerry 10?

I know for corporate email some users are running to their employer requiring Android 9 and 10, so compared to BB10 we are talking a different world.

I'm just trying to ball park how long I can reasonably expect email on my BlackBerry 10 devices.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    That depends with how antiquated the email provider is. The compatibility for some BB10 users are failing already depending on the respective providers. AOL, Yahoo are two who come to mind. Outlook for many others isn’t far behind. Each provider has upgraded their email security and enhanced their respective email apps in that manner. I suspect this is where BB10 email client is no longer actively developed for. Just because it’s ok for BB10 to remain in place doesn’t mean everyone stays behind. Even now BBAndroid is beginning to face issues.
    11-14-19 03:10 PM
    I'm not so sure about that as far as Outlook is concerned.

Pop3 and IMAP isn't really going to change anytime soon as pretty much every ISP in the world that also provide email services uses those protocols.

I also don't think Exchange protocols would change all that much, even over time, that it would somehow negate BB10's ability to connect any time soon. I think it would take years because there's more than just outlook using it. Think of all the Exchange email servers still hosted on-site all over the world that have to maintain compatibility with other services. Even as Microsoft makes changes, it won't be sudden. And implementation will take even longer.

The problems come from email services like Yahoo making their own internal modifications giving users with standard devices trying to connect headaches. That's been happening for years, and Yahoo's past issues affected more than BB10 users.
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-14-19 04:01 PM
    I'm not so sure about that as far as Outlook is concerned.

Pop3 and IMAP isn't really going to change anytime soon as pretty much every ISP in the world that also provide email services uses those protocols.

I also don't think Exchange protocols would change all that much, even over time, that it would somehow negate BB10's ability to connect any time soon. I think it would take years because there's more than just outlook using it. Think of all the Exchange email servers still hosted on-site all over the world that have to maintain compatibility with other services. Even as Microsoft makes changes, it won't be sudden. And implementation will take even longer.

The problems come from email services like Yahoo making their own internal modifications giving users with standard devices trying to connect headaches. That's been happening for years, and Yahoo's past issues affected more than BB10 users.
    What I’m referring to were the AOL or Yahoo issues that involve 2FA login. It seems like this could be an issue for any older type device. Like the old WiFi protocols changing and some devices were just dead..
    11-14-19 04:06 PM
    Reverting briefly to OP (how to set up @outlook.com) and Conite's response: set up was swift, simple and glitch-free. THANK YOU.
    Definitely a good idea to have a sticky with, it is to be hoped, equally clear, concise, complete HowTo's for all the common email platforms.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    11-14-19 04:10 PM
    What I’m referring to were the AOL or Yahoo issues that involve 2FA login. It seems like this could be an issue for any older type device. Like the old WiFi protocols changing and some devices were just dead..
    Yeah, that much is true.
    11-14-19 04:18 PM

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    The consensus is that you’ll have mobile email functionality until you don’t. Clear as mud answer if ever there was. Sorry but I’ll wait for the others to clarify better. Are you currently using an outlook account like OP perhaps?
    11-14-19 04:45 PM
    The consensus is that you’ll have mobile email functionality until you don’t. Clear as mud answer if ever there was. Sorry but I’ll wait for the others to clarify better. Are you currently using an outlook account like OP perhaps?

Hi Chuck,

I am not that familiar with email providers protocol or anything. For personal email I use Hotmail and it connects via the Hub no problem.

I was just wondering how far back BlackBerry 10 was in terms of functionality or whatever for a provider like Hotmail. I know how limited the platform is and what we are all facing in the near future but was wondering if anybody had a best guess scenario.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    11-14-19 05:54 PM
    Hi Chuck,

I am not that familiar with email providers protocol or anything. For personal email I use Hotmail and it connects via the Hub no problem.

I was just wondering how far back BlackBerry 10 was in terms of functionality or whatever for a provider like Hotmail. I know how limited the platform is and what we are all facing in the near future but was wondering if anybody had a best guess scenario.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I’m not referring to a BB10 or a BBAndroid limitation but a BB HUB or BB Inbox limitation whereas the email providers are pushing mobile security through apps. To avoid issues now, I use different email apps for different email accounts. I only use BB HUB or BB Inbox for domains that I own or corporate hosted for anyone I’m on contracted project for.

AOL, Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo all have decent mail apps for their specific domains.
    11-14-19 06:32 PM
    Hi Chuck,

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I’m not referring to a BB10 or a BBAndroid limitation but a BB HUB or BB Inbox limitation whereas the email providers are pushing mobile security through apps. To avoid issues now, I use different email apps for different email accounts. I only use BB HUB or BB Inbox for domains that I own or corporate hosted for anyone I’m on contracted project for.

AOL, Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo all have decent mail apps for their specific domains.
    11-14-19 06:32 PM
    Hi Chuck,

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    I'm not Chuck... but...

If you're asking in terms of BB back-end services - whenever that does eventually end - that shouldn't have an impact, except for, maybe, the automated account setup. But, there is always the manual account setup - which I always used anyway.

Microsoft, if I'm not mistaken, placed all their previous email services like Hotmail, and Live Mail under Outlook anyway. So, there should be no issues for a while.
    11-14-19 07:40 PM
    I'm not Chuck... but...

If you're asking in terms of BB back-end services - whenever that does eventually end - that shouldn't have an impact, except for, maybe, the automated account setup. But, there is always the manual account setup - which I always used anyway.

Microsoft, if I'm not mistaken, placed all their previous email services like Hotmail, and Live Mail under Outlook anyway. So, there should be no issues for a while.
    There's no issue connecting Outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc. without multi-factor authentication, but not using MFA really isn't an option for any email account used for any online accounts. SMS as a multi-factor is pretty weak, but is supported easily on a BB10 phone. The issue is that certain forms of MFA, such as using a Microsoft Authenticator app, isn't possible on BB10, so the user must use a second device to authenticate the account.

It's not the email that's the issue, it's the authentication process, without which it's impossible to use the account.

11-14-19 08:33 PM
    I am a BlackBerry fan and have a decent understanding of the BlackBerry 10 platform etc.

It seems like another language or completely different world we are referring to!

Regardless of the situation, I hope I can get a couple of years out of my existing BlackBerry 10 devices!!

I just spent $275 on a Passport SE to replace the one I broke but didn't break while I was in Greece.

I bought my original Passport for $395 3years ago brand new and I thought that was a lot for a EOL OS, now I am buying ones for $275 used!!!

Craziness all around

Posted via CB10
    11-14-19 09:34 PM
    There's no issue connecting Outlook.com, live.com, hotmail.com, etc. without multi-factor authentication, but not using MFA really isn't an option for any email account used for any online accounts. SMS as a multi-factor is pretty weak, but is supported easily on a BB10 phone. The issue is that certain forms of MFA, such as using a Microsoft Authenticator app, isn't possible on BB10, so the user must use a second device to authenticate the account.

It's not the email that's the issue, it's the authentication process, without which it's impossible to use the account.

You can use 2 Steps Authenticator on a BB10 device (native app from BB World). I have Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and an Okta-related work account on that app and I can get temporary codes for all of them.
    11-15-19 09:32 AM
    You can use 2 Steps Authenticator on a BB10 device (native app from BB World). I have Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and an Okta-related work account on that app and I can get temporary codes for all of them.
    Correct but some of the newer enterprise requirements for authentication don’t play nicely. The problem isn’t unique to BB10 as it seems even Android OS level can now become another issue.
    11-15-19 10:02 AM
32 12