I agree.

Tell me this? Cause I don't know the answer. Can Android users and iPhone users see the same emjoi's?

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.3175
    Yup they see the same emoji.

Posted via CB10
    06-29-14 11:31 PM
    Seriously and it wouldn't be hard at all to just incorporate the emoji the way that the Facebook app does it for messages in the HUB. Bojan from Whine made emoji available on his app the same way Facebook did, so I'm sure BlackBerry can as well with ease. I'm thinking they well with the official 10.3 or at the very latest 10.3.1 it'll be ridiculous by then though.

Posted via CB10
    But they keep pushing their " :-) " ones only BlackBerries and people with BBM can see, instead of the widespread unicode standard!

Uncool, man. I could very darn well be part of the keyboard.
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    06-29-14 11:46 PM
    But they keep pushing their " :-) " ones only BlackBerries and people with BBM can see, instead of the widespread unicode standard!

Uncool, man. I could very darn well be part of the keyboard.
    No kidding I mean I love BBM and it's respective emojis but they need to stick to the cross platform standard for texting.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-14 12:10 AM
    Sure, BB can't do this, go buy something else, it's not like we are asking for something impossible. I am glad you are not BB's PR or Spokesperson.
    More and more people use shorter and shorter text messages, sometimes they respond with an emoticon or emoji or whatever you guys call it, this is actually pretty sad, but it's reality, so when you get a single character response from someone to your question, or earlier text, it is extremely frustrating to see <?> character. Basically It is not asking too much that BB comply and keep up with the trend. If they can't beat Apple at least they should do something to work with them and their millions of users.
    That would even be reasonable. This can be very annoying. At least if I could see what they sent, I would be able to save the time of asking what they sent and them talking **** about BlackBerry just because I can't see a smiley face everyone else uses.

Posted via tin can telephone
    06-30-14 05:12 AM
    Can we just get what everyone else has on every other platform? Full emoji support including send and receive? It's dumb not to.
    07-01-14 01:05 PM
    Can we just get what everyone else has on every other platform? Full emoji support including send and receive? It's dumb not to.
    I am seriously considering getting iPhone for my wife just so that she doesn't look like some dinosaur using a system not compatible with what everyone else is using, not matter how idiotic it is, that's the way it is, this is what people care about. I totally understand now, it can be something as simple or as stupid as emoji that can drive people away from blackberry. Like I said personally I could care less if someone sent me a smily face or flowers, I won't send any rolleyes to my clients (nor will I use SMS to chat with them) but this is what it comes down to.
    07-02-14 09:09 PM
    Why does everyone feel like they should cater to Apple! Apple looks good because they don't give a crap about cross compatibility and support for anyone but themselves. Android and BB get blasted for not being like Apple its friggen stupid. If everyone owned a Blackberry the issue is gone! Apple is the absolute worst for their software and devices only working with other Apple software or devices. I personal would not own an iPhone for many reasons I won't get into but everyone needs to understand they are ******** about other companies for the same thing Apple does.
    07-10-14 08:58 AM
    Why does everyone feel like they should cater to Apple! Apple looks good because they don't give a crap about cross compatibility and support for anyone but themselves. Android and BB get blasted for not being like Apple its friggen stupid. If everyone owned a Blackberry the issue is gone! Apple is the absolute worst for their software and devices only working with other Apple software or devices. I personal would not own an iPhone for many reasons I won't get into but everyone needs to understand they are ******** about other companies for the same thing Apple does.
    Did you read the unicode standard part?
    07-10-14 09:05 AM
    bumping this again.

I don't feel like waiting for possible emoji support in 10.3

is there any sort of app I can install to see emojis in SMS?
    07-11-14 12:43 PM
    bumping this again.

I don't feel like waiting for possible emoji support in 10.3

is there any sort of app I can install to see emojis in SMS?
    None that I know or have heard of. We'll have to wait until BlackBerry integrates the new unicode emoji's

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    07-11-14 01:06 PM
    Have your iPhone friends download and start using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    drfever likes this.
    07-11-14 01:20 PM
    Have your iPhone friends download and start using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Of course, because enforcing a new standard is obviously easier than implementing the already existing/much bigger/more widespread one.
    07-11-14 01:22 PM
    I can't believe someone would swap out a phone because they can't see a smily face or thumbs up in a text message.

Get BBM and get your Apple and Android friends to get BBM and you can send each other smilies all day long.

(Insert rolling eyes here)

bakron1 and RWB3325 like this.
    07-11-14 07:33 PM
    I can't believe someone would swap out a phone because they can't see a smily face or thumbs up in a text message.

Get BBM and get your Apple and Android friends to get BBM and you can send each other smilies all day long.

(Insert rolling eyes here)

We are talking about SMS/Text Message.
    You are completely missing the point, this attitude is what brought blackberry into the condition it is in today.
    Sort of like microsoft saying "I can't believe someone would switch from PC to Mac because computer and monitor is one piece, here, I just taped my monitor to the back of my tower case, and it does the same thing".
    If you have 10 friends, all with iphones texting each other with emojis, and you are using a blackberry and missing out on the conversation, what would you do? "I don't care about stupid icons, I got a blackberry, they should get BBM, because I am the soooooo important and who uses text message anyway"

We all love our blackberries, but don't let that blind your open mindedness and the ability to see the obvious.
    07-12-14 09:01 PM
    We are talking about SMS/Text Message.
    You are completely missing the point, this attitude is what brought blackberry into the condition it is in today.
    Sort of like microsoft saying "I can't believe someone would switch from PC to Mac because computer and monitor is one piece, here, I just taped my monitor to the back of my tower case, and it does the same thing".
    If you have 10 friends, all with iphones texting each other with emojis, and you are using a blackberry and missing out on the conversation, what would you do? "I don't care about stupid icons, I got a blackberry, they should get BBM, because I am the soooooo important and who uses text message anyway"

We all love our blackberries, but don't let that blind your open mindedness and the ability to see the obvious.
    I understand what you're saying; but me personally, I don't care. Silly brain dead conversations with little icons is not how I communicate. It's as simple as telling everyone that I use a BlackBerry for business and I do not see their emoji.

Posted via CB10
    drfever likes this.
    07-12-14 10:03 PM
    I understand what you're saying; but me personally, I don't care. Silly brain dead conversations with little icons is not how I communicate. It's as simple as telling everyone that I use a BlackBerry for business and I do not see their emoji.

Posted via CB10
    It might not matter to you, but BlackBerry needs to support it unless they wish to lose even more customers in the future. It's getting pretty tiresome having a phone which is not compatible with the world around you.
    07-15-14 04:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just like you said, you are speaking for yourself.
    07-15-14 05:24 PM
    I don't have many iphone friends, wife does, I will ask her to ask one of her friends to send every possible emoji to see what it looks like, my guess is they all will be diamonds with question marks.
    So if anyone is on anything other than 10.2.1 (latest official T-Mo release) can you ask your iPhone friends to do the same? I suspect there is no major improvement on 10.3 with this.
    07-18-14 03:23 PM
    I'm a newcomer to Blackberry from Android, and it is frustrating not being able to send or see Emoji in text messages.

To be fair to BB, Emoji support on Android is also rather patchy, support for it has just gotten much better in recent OS releases. Emoji has been around on iOS since at least a couple of major versions (and years) ago. I've gotten around the lack of native support for Emoji on Android by using a replacement text messaging app called Handcent.

Anyways, so BlackBerry have some excuses for not having support for Emoji fully or universally. On the other hand, as I've wrote before, it's been around for years and its universal use and support for it has only just recently been more wide spread.

As others have pointed out, it has been made part of the unicode standard. So it's not something Apple created to be available on iPhones only as some have claimed -- otherwise it would have been like FaceTime video chat app that is *ONLY* available and will only work with Apple products. Emoji is supported on all other major phone OSes: iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

Of course BlackBerry is kind of bucking the trend by not fully supporting it, (which itself is a bit disappointing because BlackBerry, like Apple, control both the phone and the OS). Given the market dominance of iPhone and Android, Blackberry has to play catch up to gain wider acceptance and market share.

Support for Emoji shouldn't be that difficult -- it should just be just like adding support for another language -- which may just be a matter of including a set of fonts that includes the proper rendering for the Emoji character set. I am not familiar with the guts of BBOS to say how easily that can be done.

Anyways sorry for the long post. I do hope BlackBerry get their act together and support Emoji in text messaging... soon.
    Tyler Nellissen likes this.
    08-02-14 01:17 PM
    It has to have something to do with the carrier as well. I have an old bb9900. I'm in Canada and can send and receive smileys to iPhones if they are on the Bell network but not on Rogers. With Rogers I can receive them but not send (talking SMS). If I go to the US and am on AT it doesn't work either way!
    08-19-14 10:09 AM
    I found a someone stating they can see emoji's in 10.3. Any of you guys running 10.3, and confirm this?

Posted via rotary phone
    08-28-14 09:01 AM
    I can confirm we finally have emoji support Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.1052 I don't know if we have all of them I can text my iPhone friends and they can see my emojis and when they send them back I have saved a few to my phone ?????? didn't have these before 10.3

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 09:15 AM
    I can confirm we finally have emoji support Z30STA100-3/10.3.0.1052 I don't know if we have all of them I can text my iPhone friends and they can see my emojis and when they send them back I have saved a few to my phone ?????? didn't have these before 10.3

Posted via CB10
    You should get them to send you all they can first, I doubt you will get all those that they have like flowers, etc.. If BB doesn't have a corresponding icon, it won't display it, that's been the problem.
    08-28-14 10:57 AM
    I can confirm as well that emojis are now completely available in texts and throughout the OS. I tested this on a Z30 with 10.3.

You can test this yourself by searching "emoji test" in google. This is my first post so I can't post the link unfortunately
    10-08-14 11:58 AM
    I'm not sure, but I really wish we went back to calling them emoticons emoji is the Japanese version of the word.

The Gif Exchange C001B7B16
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-08-14 01:50 PM
72 123