Mostly sideloaded Android apps are working great on my Q10, but every once in a while one of them gets stuck. Closing the app doesn't do the trick, but restarting the Blackberry always does. However, for obvious reasons I'd rather not have to restart the Blackberry in order to be able to un-stick a frozen Android app. I've tried using Ghost Commander to "Force Stop" an Android app, but it seems when one Android app gets frozen often all of them do. Even when Ghost Commander still runs, it doesn't look like that always does the trick. I read somewhere about using the BlackBerry Virtual Expert to close the Android Runtime, but I don't see how to do that.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 01:11 AM
    Use device manager to close the app...
    11-18-14 03:08 AM
    I don't know if this will help as some people said it helped them with battery draining issues.
    Download one of the Android task managers to kill the programs that are stuck. People did that because the app didn't show up in the native app manager but it was still open, thus draining their battery.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 04:32 AM
    While you can close apps in Virtual Expert (CPU, click on app, then Close at bottom), you can't for system apps. The easiest way to close most running apps at once is to do a Link Backup. That being said, it will likely take longer to do a backup than reset the device. But you can always cancel the backup after it starts...
    12-17-14 07:34 AM
    Now if we could fake a link back-up with an app, or at least make the os think that it needs to shut down for runtime

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 08:06 AM
    I keep doing this using an XP virtual machine running on an Ubuntu workstation. Wish there was a simpler way.
    01-11-18 08:32 AM
    Hello goncal, could you please explain us how do you do that?.
    Regards

Posted via CB10
    01-11-18 02:20 PM
    You would need to install a Windows XP virtual machine on your computer so that e.g. VirtualBox can run it in a window. This means you effectively have a computer within a computer and are not forced to reboot into XP / 7 etc when you need to run Windows programs. Do excuse me if this all sounds obvious. You then install Link on the virtual machine and connect your BB to the virtual machine rather than the physical one so that Link sees the BB. In theory you should be able to back up your BB this way, this is one thing I cannot do as my physical machine is underpowered and my virtual one lacks disc space.
    Maybe google Set Up A Virtual Windows XP Machine.
    This would tell you how to set up an XP machine on Qemu:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...UnderQemuHowTo
    ...although I have only been using VirtualBox for years now, I used to do VMWare but VirtualBox is much more convenient.
    Last edited by goncal; 01-12-18 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typos.
    01-12-18 10:42 AM
    01-12-18 10:45 AM
    Mostly sideloaded Android apps are working great on my Q10, but every once in a while one of them gets stuck. Closing the app doesn't do the trick, but restarting the Blackberry always does. However, for obvious reasons I'd rather not have to restart the Blackberry in order to be able to un-stick a frozen Android app. I've tried using Ghost Commander to "Force Stop" an Android app, but it seems when one Android app gets frozen often all of them do. Even when Ghost Commander still runs, it doesn't look like that always does the trick. I read somewhere about using the BlackBerry Virtual Expert to close the Android Runtime, but I don't see how to do that.

Posted via CB10
    Can you use ghost commander to kill the runtime?
    01-12-18 02:04 PM
    Gongal, thanks for your explanation, I've already been using a virtual machine in my OSX system, but for other purposes.

Regards

Posted via CB10
    01-12-18 02:27 PM
    Would not think so? (wish it could though) Only Link Backup seems to be able to do that.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-18 04:41 PM
    Afaik Ghost commander can kill/close apps but not the runtime.

I suppose it has to be very protected by the internal system, I never read that BlackBerry has a method different than restart the device

Posted via CB10
    01-24-18 11:50 AM
    There was such an app for the Playbook interestingly. Which I installed on mine, even if I last booted it up in August '17, still active and have not needed to restart the Android machine since. Not to be found on BlackBerry World for bb10 handsets though. Shame.
    Last edited by goncal; 01-24-18 at 02:17 PM.
    01-24-18 11:53 AM