10-12-14 03:18 AM
41 12
tools
    I posted these instructions to my BBM Group, but for those who aren't members, I figured I'd share them with the CB community too. It's important to understand that your file isn't deleted completely until overwritten.
    First, end all picture and video creation AND file deletion on your device immediately. Don't disturb internal or external memory. Get to a computer ASAP.
    Second, this method does not work if you don't have an SD card installed. The phone MUST be in USB Mass Storage mode or the recover program won't find anything.
    Third, download Piriform Recuva. It's completely free and Piriform is also the maker of C Cleaner which I swear by. They are legitimate and spyware free. Trusted.
    Fourth, hook up your BlackBerry 10 device to your PC via USB, install and launch Recuva, then select Removable Device from left drop down menu. On the top right side click Options, Actions tab check everything EXCEPT Restore Folder Structure. Click OK. Hit the scan button.
    Finally, when the scan is complete, find the file in the list, check the box next to it, and click the Recover button at the bottom right. It will ask for a save destination; I went with Desktop so I could see results right away. That's it!

I used my Q10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    03-16-14 06:59 PM
    Thanks for the tip - it will be useful for some.

FYI -- I tweaked your thread title to make it clear that you're offering a solution, not asking a question. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers.
    03-16-14 07:20 PM
    "The phone MUST be in USB Mass Storage mode or the recover program won't find anything."

That pretty much kills it for those of us that encrypt their storage cards. But thanks for sharing for the rest of those not using encryption!

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228
    03-16-14 07:46 PM
    Wow. I think after years of trying to contribute genuinely helpful threads I'm convinced that this will be my last. Can't please everyone I guess.

Gearheadaddy and KermEd like this.
    03-16-14 07:55 PM
    Wow. I think after years of trying to contribute genuinely helpful threads I'm convinced that this will be my last. Can't please everyone I guess.

Don't mind those who won't be able to utilize your tutorial. I appreciate you sharing this.

Posted with my ?Q10 running 10.2.1.1925.
    03-16-14 08:02 PM
    You're welcome. I apologize for not having the title more clear and for not mentioning that for the millions of users who encrypt their SD cards this may not help.

03-16-14 08:04 PM
    I would also like to add that this method salvaged a 161MB video that would have never been able to be duplicated on camera again. It also got me out of the dog house with my fiance. To some, it will be huge.

03-16-14 08:09 PM

What the heck?!?!?

I was pointing out it wouldn't work for people using encryption, but thanked you for sharing it anyway...

I wasn't being mean or rude in any way shape or form...

03-16-14 08:14 PM
    "The phone MUST be in USB Mass Storage mode or the recover program won't find anything."

That pretty much kills it for those of us that encrypt their storage cards. But thanks for sharing for the rest of those not using encryption!

Your opening line was immediately negative followed by a reiteration of how it proved no use to some. Maybe I misread it. No big deal. It's there for anyone trying to salvage important data. I would be interested to know how many people encrypt their SD card versus those who don't. Maybe CB can add that as a poll. Forgive my defensiveness but I'm just about burned out on contributing and not having the support. Read pretty much any thread I've ever posted. There's always an insult or snide comment in each one. Gets to you after awhile.

03-16-14 08:39 PM
    Hey.. thanks for sharing this.
    I copy pasted this instruction to remember app so that just in case if I need to use it, it's there.
    And oh yeah.. I don't encrypt my SD card.
    This should be helpful..
    Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 08:43 PM
    Very welcome to those who find it helpful. I know how it feels to delete a video of your child doing something for the first time and panicking that it is most likely gone forever. These instructions were created out of that need.

03-16-14 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the tip! I swear by Piriform as well; their software is extremely useful.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-14 09:04 PM
    The instructions are helpful.

I find it interesting that the OP is quite over reactive. My initial response to the thread would not be friendly to the OP purely based on follow up posts - and I side with the other folks in the thread. I don't think posting how-to articles is a good idea if feedback is that impacting.

With that said, useful for some folks for sure. Seen threads on this before, and I recommended recuva to them as well.

Edit: Just to add, I do think it's a well intentioned post of value.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-16-14 09:10 PM
    Thanks for the info. I have saved the instructions and downloaded the recovery program just in case I need it. I even decided to try things out and deleted an image just to see how easy it is to get back and with your instructions it was back on my Q10 in a matter of minutes.

Thanks again.
    03-16-14 09:13 PM
    Your opening line was immediately negative followed by a reiteration of how it proved no use to some. Maybe I misread it. No big deal. It's there for anyone trying to salvage important data. I would be interested to know how many people encrypt their SD card versus those who don't. Maybe CB can add that as a poll. Forgive my defensiveness but I'm just about burned out on contributing and not having the support. Read pretty much any thread I've ever posted. There's always an insult or snide comment in each one. Gets to you after awhile.

You interpreted my wording incorrectly and I'm sorry you responded so extremely. Please don't stop helping people and providing these types of helpful posts, even if there are rude people who are intentionally rude.

It's always good to remember that a large of amount of meaning is lost in text. I heard that once you lose verbal and non-verbal queues from people that the text only leaves you with only 30% of the meaning.

03-16-14 10:03 PM
    Very insightful statement. Maybe that's why my fiance and I hate texting each other. We seem to have a lost-in-translation issue almost every time. It's hard to separate inferred from face value in text. My overreaction is just the climate. If any of you have been on CB long enough, you know the types that give you grief in exchange for help. Not the best advertisement for the site I know, but you get those pretty much on any site. I guess I got so used to people flipping me off for my service it just became habit. My apologies.

03-16-14 10:51 PM
    I should state this in advance : this is not the absolute definitive solution to end all problems. It's just something I came up with and mirrors no one else's prior instructions nor does it say that other solutions aren't as good. It's just what worked for someone who is holding a BlackBerry Q10.

03-16-14 10:55 PM

This is a useful post.

That said, the times when I have gotten into it with you is when you make a blanket or categorical statement and then get angry at people for telling you that you are over-simplifying or don't fully understand the issue. This happened when you kept insisting the random restart issue was something other than an OS issue.

That's not the case here, this is simple, to the point, and I have no issue with the advice given. And I fully understand the "ungrateful" responses because I've seen my share of them as well. I don't think HotFix's was, however.

There is only one suggestion I would make: whenever you are recovering data from a device, as you mention at the beginning, you don't want to write anything else to the device because anything written will further complicate recovery.

So when it comes to picking a destination for the recovered file(s), you may want to remind people again (at the latter part of your post) to NOT select a folder on the filesystem you are recovering from, but to make sure it's on the desktop computer. (At least initially)

Thanks for posting.
    03-17-14 12:14 AM
    For the record, I did go back and admit that you were right on several things Omni, one of which was my "green" Random Reboot thread. I have no problem admitting error, but many of my threads were help threads, and as such, when someone offers help, people don't usually complain or criticize the person contributing. If a man was drowning and a passerby was willing to contribute time to try to help save him, do you think the man should tell the passerby that his help won't save a man drowning in water but only a man drowning in quicksand? Should the drowning man tell the passerby that he is doing it wrong or his solution is stupid? Or should the passerby offer nothing and let the man without graciousness drown since it's really not his problem? Do you see what kind of ecosystem has been forming within the walls of the CB Forums? Long story short, I refuse to partake in bickering and nonsense when my initial intention was to contribute help in some form. If people behave irrationally, then this passerby will be less inclined to jump in.

03-17-14 10:52 AM
    If a man was drowning and a passerby
    Be cautious. There is a huge difference between your post and rescuing someone from drowning.

This is more like 'if someone were offering you IT advice at work, would...'. And the answer is yes, external folks would provide opinions because they want to contribute to the discussion.

I find it interesting that this is a loose topic providing general advice with good intentions. Yet 3/4 of the posts are about attitude from the opinion of a single individuals interpretation. It's a good example of how taking everything too personally derails a well intentioned thread.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Omnitech likes this.
    03-17-14 12:14 PM
    So this method will recover deleted files from an SD card, but not deleted files that were saved on the actual device?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 12:39 PM
    Yeah, when in USB Mass Storage mode the SD card is all that is accessible. If you try to scan without USB Mass Storage mode enabled, Recuva won't even recognize the drive.

03-17-14 03:46 PM
    Be cautious. There is a huge difference between your post and rescuing someone from drowning.

This is more like 'if someone were offering you IT advice at work, would...'. And the answer is yes, external folks would provide opinions because they want to contribute to the discussion.

I find it interesting that this is a loose topic providing general advice with good intentions. Yet 3/4 of the posts are about attitude from the opinion of a single individuals interpretation. It's a good example of how taking everything too personally derails a well intentioned thread.

Posted via CB from my LE
    That was a metaphor, Mr. Tritt. Again, the perils of strife within the threads continue to mount, and you only add lighter fluid to the burning charcoal in the CB grill (also a metaphor).

03-17-14 03:50 PM
    Also for the record, HotFix did not offer an opinion on whether or not my instructions would work on those who have encrypted their SD card. He offered a statement that completely derided their validity for SD users who encrypt their cards, more factual based, and when that's one of the first things people read, they tend to not delve too much further into the suggested solution.

03-17-14 03:54 PM
    Guys please stop with the back and forth. What's done is done.

This back and forth is only muddying the waters of a helpful tip.

03-17-14 04:03 PM
41 12