This guide will explain how to setup to receive all kind of news as a push notification directly to the HUB.

This guide was previously a workaround to receive News from CrackBerry directly to the HUB of your BlackBerry 10 device. Since I created in the meantime a more elegant way to do this I removed this guide at the original thread to avoid confusion.
    But since we can still use this to receive news about Sports, Business, Science, Art... some of you might find this guide hopefully still very useful.

This setup is just a example of all the useful stuff you can do with this service. You can not only get news for your local newspaper but you can sent yourself just a text or link from your desktop, syncronize your clipboard or get notified of stocks changes every evening directly to your pebble smartwatch.

How does it work?

You setup a account at IFTTT.COM and connect it to pushbullet.com using your google account. You create a trigger at IFTTT.COM for a RSS feed and the application BlackBullet at your device will get notified of the news short after they appeard at the Internet.

What is needed?
    • Google Account
    • IFTTT.COM Account
    • Account at Pushbullet.com
    • The App BlackBullet

Setup:

1. Visit pushbullet.com and login to the service using your google account

2. Download BlackBullet and login to the pushbullet network

3. visit IFTTT.COM and create a account

4. create a trigger for CrackBerry.com at IFTTT:

• Select 'Create a Recipe' in the upper right of IFTTT.COM

• Click on the blue 'this'.

• Search for 'feed' and select the yellow rssfeed icon.

• Select the Option 'New feed item'.

• Fill in a URL to a rss feed and press on 'Create Trigger'.
      At example: BBC News UK

First step solved, now click on the blue 'that' and tell the service what to do when a news gets published.

Search Pushbullet in the list of available services. (you might need to connect IFTTT.COM and pushbullet at the first usage, follow the steps on the screen)

• Select 'Push a link'.

• Fill in the actions. The recommended setting is:

Title: {{EntryTitle}} {{EntryContent}} {{EntryAuthor}}
    Link URL: {{EntryUrl}}

Example: HOW TO: receive News directly as a Notification at the HUB-309342d1414267433t-how-crackberry-news-alerts-hub-via-blackbullet-ifttt_crackberry.png

Now you have completed the setup. You get now every time a news gets published a notification directly at your Hub.

I hope you like it!
    Last edited by QtHelex; 01-10-15 at 10:30 AM.
    01-10-15 09:18 AM
    While I cannot see how this would benefit someone that is looking for news as in "newspaper news" (online newspaper sites publish over 1000 stories per day, productivity would plumpet with so much spam ), I see how awesome this could be if set up for a specific page (like CB or a social media outlet used to keep a team informed about the status of a project).

Great OP!
    01-10-15 09:25 AM
    Great OP!
    Thanks a lot. And you're absolutely right that the main category of something like New York Times or BBC news would create a lot of noise. But that's just a example. You could use the same guide to receive weather or sports news from a local and regional newspaper from your home town. And here it get's maybe also more interesting.
    01-10-15 09:41 AM
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    01-10-15 09:57 AM
    What is the url for crackberry blog feeds? Can't seem to get a link that Ifttt will accept

Check Out TechCraze
    01-10-15 11:25 AM
    What is the url for crackberry blog feeds? Can't seem to get a link that Ifttt will accept
    The url for CrackBerry is http://feeds.feedburner.com/crackberry

But I would suggest to use this method:
    HOW TO: CrackBerry news alerts in Hub via BlackBullet

Just get to the settings of BlackBullet, there is a simple button to directly subscribe to receive news from CrackBerry. It's a lot snappier, easier to setup, you get a nice CB10 icon within BlackBullet and no need to use IFTTT.COM
    tinochiko likes this.
    01-10-15 11:35 AM
    If you get Feedminder you can import all your RSS feeds and from within the app it self you can create hub notifications. Works great.
    01-10-15 11:42 AM
    Does 'Inside Blackberry' have rss?

Check Out TechCraze

Found it!
    01-10-15 11:50 AM
    Does 'Inside Blackberry' have rss?
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/InsideBl...BlackBerryBlog
    tinochiko likes this.
    01-10-15 11:53 AM
    Thank you!

Now just waiting for a new post so I can see how well this works

Check Out TechCraze
    01-10-15 12:04 PM
    Also, on BlackBullet, I upgraded to pro inside the app then switched the setting for 'work when app is closed', but when I went to close the app I still got the warning is that normal?

Check Out TechCraze
    01-10-15 12:05 PM
    Also, on BlackBullet, I upgraded to pro inside the app then switched the setting for 'work when app is closed', but when I went to close the app I still got the warning is that normal?
    Oh, yes. But only the first time. I need to finally fix this small glitch.

It's still a lot of stuff to do and the whole thing not without a good reason still a beta. But it works in the meantime pretty well. The IFTTT news thing is only a small aspect of the app, I'm sure you know already the power IFTTT.COM offers apart from just rss feeds for news. Stuff like Instagram, Twitter, Stocks, Weather, Package Tracking, Craigslist, Digg, eBay, Dropbox, facebook offers a long list of possibilities.
    But also without this has BlackBullet a lot of useful aspects by just pushing stuff like links and notes manually between your devices.

Thanks a lot for your support.
    01-10-15 12:21 PM
    Oh, yes. But only the first time. I need to finally fix this small glitch.

It's still a lot of stuff to do and the whole thing not without a good reason still a beta. But it works in the meantime pretty well. The IFTTT news thing is only a small aspect of the app, I'm sure you know already the power IFTTT.COM offers apart from just rss feeds for news. Stuff like Instagram, Twitter, Stocks, Weather, Package Tracking, Craigslist, Digg, eBay, Dropbox, facebook offers a long list of possibilities.
    But also without this has BlackBullet a lot of useful aspects by just pushing stuff like links and notes manually between your devices.

Thanks a lot for your support.
    I received the same message the first time I closed the app after my upgrade. It has worked flawlessly with the app closed.

Posted via CB10
    QtHelex likes this.
    01-10-15 12:32 PM
    I received the same message the first time I closed the app after my upgrade. It has worked flawlessly with the app closed.
    I guess I get rid of this bug with the update which should appear next week.
    03-09-15 02:39 AM