I get attachments to emails as doc files, xls files, pdf. But sometimes I get files sent with extensions that cannot be read. But I can not find readers for them. Some are text files but I can't change the file extensions with the file manager! What to do? Anybody know?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:38 AM
    Can you give examples?
    Also, you should search the attachment extension in BB World for starters.

I was also recently surprised that a previously unreadable on BB .csv attachment opened up in Ghost Commander, an Android ported file manager app.
    12-30-13 12:13 PM
    A colleague sent me a file with a .inp extension. It is simply a text file, but my z10 won't read it. This extension is not standard and would normally be read by notepad. I would change the extension name in file manager but I can not do that either...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 03:48 PM
    There are some file managers on BlackBerry World that allow you to rename files including the extension, and as well have a built-in plain text viewer/editor.

There are also native apps, not just ported android ones.

Good luck searching.

Can't beat a Q10 keyboard!
    12-30-13 05:19 PM
    There are some file managers on BlackBerry World that allow you to rename files including the extension, and as well have a built-in plain text viewer/editor.

There are also native apps, not just ported android ones.

Good luck searching.

Can't beat a Q10 keyboard!
    Thanks for this suggestion. I downloaded another file manager which at least enables renaming the extension. The "open as" function is not yet there, but I am sure will be with time. I like the transparent file system of bb10. I still can't figure out the one of my ipad!

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 01:46 AM
    Actually you can change the file extension. But instead of selecting the Rename menu, select Properties, then press Rename from there. The file extension will be shown here, so you can change it. Don't know why the inconsistencies.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:01 AM
    Actually you can change the file extension. But instead of selecting the Rename menu, select Properties, then press Rename from there. The file extension will be shown here, so you can change it. Don't know why the inconsistencies.

Posted via CB10
    But this is good to note thanks. Actually the alternative file managers in bbworld are quite better than the standard one so this posting was very useful. I get lots of attachments and viewing them and filing to box or dropbox is important. Thanks to all.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 08:50 AM