Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Blackberry, and I have a question.

Can you print to a Wifi connected printer using BB OS 10.3.2 (not a separately installed app) much like what can easily be done in iOS?

This may be a ridiculous question, but I've been reading some other threads on which people complain about printing deficiencies in BB OS 10.

Thanks.
    04-04-15 09:32 PM
    There is not a built in print function on BlackBerry. My husband has iPhone 6plus and he can't print from it either. Neither can my daughter on her iphone 6. At least not w/o an app.

I use an app called Print Hand and it works flawlessly on my Passport, Z30 and Q10

Passport & Z30
    Can't imagine life w/o a BlackBerry
    Pdinos3, moyah8 and BionicKris like this.
    04-04-15 09:36 PM
    Most printers have an email address. Email your printer

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    04-04-15 09:56 PM
    It's easier to just print using Print Hand. Tap "share" and "print hand". BOOM. It prints. Use it at home, work, my mom's. Awesome app

Passport & Z30
    tvst28 and BionicKris like this.
    04-04-15 09:59 PM
    If an app solution is out of the question you can use google cloud print through the BB 10 browser to print to a wifi connected printer if you use gmail or have documents accessible to google drive. Otherwise, the already mentioned Printhand or native Print my Files apps work equally as well.
    04-04-15 10:14 PM
    I have found several printing apps over the past few years, printhand is one of the better ones but I suggest updating to a newer printer. My last two printers have their own email address and I recommend epson as the ink can be had via ebay for $2 a cartridge when purchased in bulk. I have the wf-3540 and wf-7620 and both are awesome. I believe they have been replaced with higher model numbers but I love two sided printing and multiple page scan and the 7620 does larger paper prints as well.

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-04-15 11:18 PM
    ...thanks for your reply, but what you said about the iphone is simply not true. I have an iphone and it is very easy to print anything from it without using a third party app. Apple has tightly integrated print functions using their bonjour service, and printing from an iphone to a network connected printer couldn't be easier.

Backberry should really build in print functions into the OS. Printing is an expected capability of an OS, especially for any phone being used for business. I shouldn't have to e-mail a network connected printer just to print something from my phone.
    rambo47 likes this.
    04-05-15 08:40 AM
    There is not a built in print function on BlackBerry. My husband has iPhone 6plus and he can't print from it either. Neither can my daughter on her iphone 6. At least not w/o an app.

I use an app called Print Hand and it works flawlessly on my Passport, Z30 and Q10

Passport & Z30
    That's false.
    Print function is baked into ios 8 unlike BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:18 AM
    Doesn't print function in iOS require Airport as wifi router in order to work?

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 09:21 AM
    No, it doesn't. It works like a charm on every network that I've been on.
    04-05-15 03:41 PM
    That's false.

Posted via CB10
    Please tell me how to print from an iPhone 6+ and I will try it on my hubby's phone. We cant figure it out. Thanks
    04-05-15 03:42 PM
    Printer Pro and HP ePrint apps work effortlessly with the iphone when connected via wifi

Posted via my Q10 on 10.3.1
    04-05-15 03:52 PM
    Printer Pro and HP ePrint apps work effortlessly with the iphone when connected via wifi

Posted via my Q10 on 10.3.1
    Just as Print Hand works flawlessly on BB10 with my Canon printer at home and HP printer at work.

The two you mentioned are third party apps. I want to know how to make iphone print w/o a third party app as the other poster said iOS8 does

Passport & Z30
    04-05-15 04:40 PM
    Oh, printing on mobile devices ... what a PITA. It's definitely not mature right now.

My iPad and iPhone have AirPrint, but it only works with some printers and my printer is not one of them. I can print with the Samsung app, but it doesn't directly add printing throughout the OS.

My Kindle Fire could add the printer, but I found it failed to connect all the time and printed in really poor resolution when it did connect.

Have never gotten my BlackBerry to print, though I suspect I could get it to with the level of the Samsung app.

Really wish this worked better on mobile than it does now. :-S
    moody likes this.
    04-05-15 04:45 PM
    That's false.
    Yes, though believe me, there are limits. You need an AirPlay compatible printer and my wifi Samsung Printer is not on the list. My Uncle's wifi printer sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I think Apple has the most robust printing capabilities of the mobile platforms but they still have work to do.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201387
    04-05-15 04:48 PM
    Well BYEX and the other iPhone guy. Let her know how easy it is with out buying a special printer or app

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 08:48 PM
    I use print hand on my brother printer. 2280 i think it is.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 08:49 PM
    That's false.

Posted via CB10
    True. But it only works because Airprint is supported on many printers. Therefore the iPhone only needs one driver.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    moody likes this.
    04-05-15 08:53 PM
    True. But it only works because Airprint is supported on many printers. Therefore the iPhone only needs one driver.
    Yeah - though the negative is that if you don't have an "Airprint" printer, you are either out of luck, have to hack or very limited. This isn't like Windows or Mac where you install a print driver or choose a Generic Profile.

In my experience so far, either it works with everything (you have an AIrPrint printer), a few things can print via a specific app (but many apps don't), or you're SOL.

Again - not bashing Apple. They are more evolved than other manufacturers are in printing on mobile. But anyone expecting the same level of flexibility on an iPad or iPhone that they have on their Mac? Well ... not a chance.
    04-06-15 03:26 PM
    Yeah - though the negative is that if you don't have an "Airprint" printer, you are either out of luck, have to hack or very limited. This isn't like Windows or Mac where you install a print driver or choose a Generic Profile.

In my experience so far, either it works with everything (you have an AIrPrint printer), a few things can print via a specific app (but many apps don't), or you're SOL.

Again - not bashing Apple. They are more evolved than other manufacturers are in printing on mobile. But anyone expecting the same level of flexibility on an iPad or iPhone that they have on their Mac? Well ... not a chance.
    The Airprint advantage is pretty much gone now. Most new printers have cloud printing, print to email, or an Android app that you can share to. The Canon app works great on bb10. Even with the Canon app, I still use Printhand more because I like the interface.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    04-06-15 03:51 PM
    I also use PrintHand (Z10 & Z30), and it works flawlessly. Note, although it is an Android app, you need to install the version found on BlackBerry World because that version has fonts pre-packaged.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-15 04:50 PM
    The BlackBerry World version also seems to be less expensive than the Amazon and Google Play versions as well.

PrintHand works very well, it was a great buy.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 04:59 AM
    "Print my files for BlackBerry 10" is also a good way to print (and it is not very expensive. I use on my Classic flawlessly.
    04-09-15 07:27 AM
    Is it really a big deal to buy an app that works flawlessly? I have print hand and I love. I find it strange that an iPhone user would complain about the need to use an app. Without apps the iPhone is nothing.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    BBPandy and moyah8 like this.
    04-09-15 09:29 AM
    ....... Without apps the iPhone is nothing.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    ^^^------- LOVE THAT.. never been more true

Posted via CB10 (ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2582)
    moody likes this.
    04-09-15 09:31 AM
39 12