But if I were to open ghost commander again after using it, the apps that had been force closed would show as not running still. So they weren't getting activated.
    They can be wiped from ram. But either way, they don't run.

The Android Runtime is a mystery as to how it responds to certain pokes, and often spoofs results to improve compatibility.

But the bottom line, is that Android apps are not able to run in the background. It's been coded that way.
    07-10-18 03:55 PM
    They can be wiped from ram. But either way, they don't run.

The Android Runtime is a mystery as to how it responds to certain pokes, and often spoofs results to improve compatibility.

But the bottom line, is that Android apps are not able to run in the background. It's been coded that way.
    Ok. I found the old thread. We discussed how a poorly coded app could possibly trigger the runtime at a high rate causing battery drain. Trigger could come from the "outside world".

So it wasn't about running n the background as discussed here, but still potentially relevant.

Discussion was from the " android apps and their processes" thread.
    07-10-18 04:02 PM
    Ok. I found the old thread. We discussed how a poorly coded app could possibly trigger the runtime at a high rate causing battery drain. Trigger could come from the "outside world".

So it wasn't about running n the background as discussed here, but still potentially relevant.

Discussion was from the " android apps and their processes" thread.
    Yes, that is correct. The Android Runtime can do dumb things sometimes and be triggered to spin mindlessly.
    07-10-18 04:15 PM
    Yes, that is correct. The Android Runtime can do dumb things sometimes and be triggered to spin mindlessly.
    Which is why Cixert was asking about how to stop Android apps or even the entire runtime from booting up after a device start, ha ha.
    07-10-18 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the explanation. I routinely scan for, and force close, any Android apps on my BBB10 phones, because they would seem to run intermittently in the background.

Now I understand better what was going on, though my solution is the same. Force close them.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    07-10-18 05:46 PM
    Which is why Cixert was asking about how to stop Android apps or even the entire runtime from booting up after a device start, ha ha.
    Which can't be done.
    07-10-18 05:49 PM
    Which can't be done.
    The biggest mistake I ever made on my BB10 phones was taking Amazon's suggestion to install their "Amazon Underground" app. I could never delete it once installed, and it would certainly seem to use data and bandwidth .

07-10-18 06:33 PM
    The biggest mistake I ever made on my BB10 phones was taking Amazon's suggestion to install their "Amazon Underground" app. I could never delete it once installed, and it would certainly seem to use data and bandwidth .

Delete with Sachesi, and don't sign in when it reappears on reboot.
    07-10-18 06:46 PM

Thanks! I simply used an autoloader because I also wanted to remove all traces of the Google ID and other Android apps I'd patched and installed previously but didn't want anymore.

07-10-18 06:53 PM
    What about using greenify app to stop/avoid apps from being launched by trigger events?
    In a post for Priv someone said, that greenify works in bb10, you just have to add the apps.

Also background app have to be killed/stopped from bb10 monitor, but theoretically they will not be open automatically again.

Have u tried greenify?
    Btw, i am just trying so in some days I'll have my own opinion

Posted via CB10
    07-11-18 05:02 AM
    What about using greenify app to stop/avoid apps from being launched by trigger events?
    In a post for Priv someone said, that greenify works in bb10, you just have to add the apps.

Also background app have to be killed/stopped from bb10 monitor, but theoretically they will not be open automatically again.

Have u tried greenify?
    Btw, i am just trying so in some days I'll have my own opinion

Posted via CB10
    Greenify is essentially replicating what closing through Device monitor or Ghost Commander will do, it's easier to manage but unlike on actual Android you can't automate it in the background.

This is why I personally just recommend using device monitor, it's native and built into the OS. Using Android apps to deal with other Android apps just seems like unnecessary overhead.
    07-11-18 10:36 AM
    Greenify is essentially replicating what closing through Device monitor or Ghost Commander will do, it's easier to manage but unlike on actual Android you can't automate it in the background.

This is why I personally just recommend using device monitor, it's native and built into the OS. Using Android apps to deal with other Android apps just seems like unnecessary overhead.
    Agree 100%. It's a great example of the weird Android mentality that the user should use a third party app to change settings in the OS!

Invictus0 likes this.
    07-11-18 12:42 PM
    Services are loaded into memory, but don't run unless the app is running.
    Sorry but that's NOT true. Android services on BB10 can actively run (and not just "reside") in the background even when the app is closed.

Easy to check example? E.g. the XMP Module Player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bs.android.xmp

Launch it, start playing any Amiga module, close the app, and its background player service will keep playing all the modules in the directory or playlist, for hours (if you have that many of them) without the actual app running.

Similarly, there are also Android apps which autostart (as they react to the BOOT_COMPLETED signal or some other trigger) as a background service (i.e. without opening any visible windows) which does its job in the background.

And it's been like that ever since I can remember.

That's why before I install any Android app, I first pass it through an app like "Advanced Permission Manager" where I remove from it every permission and every receiver allowing its services to autostart (either after reboot or in response to some trigger like e.g. "battery level changed" or "media button pressed") and in addition to that I also remove from its manifest all unneeded services, majority of which are only used to spy the user, slow down the device and eat battery, like e.g. all kinds of "campaign tracking service", "crashlytics service", "bug reporter service", "ad serving service", etc. (almost every Android app has a ton of such services these sad days). This way I end up with an Android app that runs only when I want and does only what it is supposed to.
    dpgo likes this.
    07-11-18 07:05 PM
    Sorry but that's NOT true. Android services on BB10 can actively run (and not just "reside") in the background even when the app is closed.

Easy to check example? E.g. the XMP Module Player.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bs.android.xmp

Launch it, start playing any Amiga module, close the app, and its background player service will keep playing all the modules in the directory or playlist, for hours (if you have that many of them) without the actual app running.

Similarly, there are also Android apps which autostart (as they react to the BOOT_COMPLETED signal or some other trigger) as a background service (i.e. without opening any visible windows) which does its job in the background.

And it's been like that ever since I can remember.

That's why before I install any Android app, I first pass it through an app like "Advanced Permission Manager" where I remove from it every permission and every receiver allowing its services to autostart (either after reboot or in response to some trigger like e.g. "battery level changed" or "media button pressed") and in addition to that I also remove from its manifest all unneeded services, majority of which are only used to spy the user, slow down the device and eat battery, like e.g. all kinds of "campaign tracking service", "crashlytics service", "bug reporter service", "ad serving service", etc. (almost every Android app has a ton of such services these sad days). This way I end up with an Android app that runs only when I want and does only what it is supposed to.
    Hard to say what is running in the environment space, and what is running in the app space. The Runtime is very complicated and spoofs answers to many queries for compatibility sake.

The fact is, the developer white paper says apps do not run in the background on BB10 - and that is not a matter of opinion.
    Last edited by conite; 07-11-18 at 07:25 PM.
    07-11-18 07:14 PM
    Hard to say what is running in the environment space, and what is running in the app space.
    Well, no matter how it actually works from a technical point of view, it does work. Just check e.g. the aforementioned XMP Mod Player and see it yourself. Which means that it can run against the user's will and without his knowledge, and waste device's performance and battery... While in case of XMP Mod Player the user can simply hear it still playing music by its background service after closing it (and this way realize that the service keeps working in the background), in case of some malicious app's service e.g. mining bitcoins for some dishonest developer the user won't notice anything but enormous battery drain...

As I said, inspecting any Android app's manifest in a tool like "Advanced Permission Manager" reveals that almost every Android app these days has multiple services used to report its activity and usage, upload statistics to various (often quite suspicious) places, and things like that. These services are often configured to be triggered by almost every user action (press a button, switch the screen on or off, etc.) or device state change (battery level change, connectivity change, location update, etc.) so they can eat battery like crazy, for nothing useful.

P.S. I don't remember its name, but some time ago I installed (just for test) an Android music player which not only played back the music in the background as a service, but when I rebooted the device while it was playing, after the reboot it automatically resumed the playback where it was interrupted. So its background player service was clearly automatically launched by the BOOT COMPLETED signal...

I recommend everyone to use tools like Andvanced Permission Manager (there are many of such apps) to inspect every Android app prior to installing it and to remove both all unnecessary permissions (especially the permission to automatically start after reboot that the BB10 Android apk installer does not report to the user) and also (from the apk's manifest) all receivers used to trigger unneeded services (or launch 'proper' services but in situations that the user does not need), and all unnecessary services themselves. The result of which will be a much more power efficient and secure Android app.

The fact is, the developer white paper says apps do not run in the back ground on BB10 - and that is not a matter of opinion.
    So the above given XMP Mod Player example (that everyone can easily check) proves the white paper wrong...
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 07-11-18 at 08:17 PM.
    elfabio80 and iled like this.
    07-11-18 07:40 PM
65 123