It feels a bit like PEEK is one of BlackBerry's lead features that they're promoting - in fact, it's the only thing we saw in their superbowl commercial.

How is it any better than notification centre on iOS? From what I can see, they work in exactly the same way - swipe from the bezel inside any app to reveal a list of recent messages - tap one of the messages to go into it.

Peek might be a little more refined but I'm shocked that this is their revolutionary lead feature when iOS has had something very, very similar for ages.
    02-05-13 10:01 AM
    cos it just is
    02-05-13 10:02 AM
    It feels a bit like PEEK is one of BlackBerry's lead features that they're promoting - in fact, it's the only thing we saw in their superbowl commercial.

How is it any better than notification centre on iOS? From what I can see, they work in exactly the same way - swipe from the bezel inside any app to reveal a list of recent messages - tap one of the messages to go into it.

Peek might be a little more refined but I'm shocked that this is their revolutionary lead feature when iOS has had something very, very similar for ages.
    Because Peek shows you new and old notifications, as far as I know iOS only shows new notifications.

PS it doesn't show you recent messages it shows you ALL messages.
    02-05-13 10:06 AM
    Also while you Peek your app remains 100% active.
    JGuez and FSeverino like this.
    02-05-13 10:08 AM
    The main difference is the fact that you can "peak". You don't have to completely leave an application to see your notifications which is a neat idea.
    02-05-13 10:09 AM
    Yeah bb had many things before iPhone did yet that didn't stop people buying them.
    KOOLWATER, Ben1232 and schmeat like this.
    02-05-13 10:09 AM
    The main difference is the fact that you can "peak". You don't have to completely leave an application to see your notifications which is a neat idea.
    You don't need to completely leave an Android or iPhone app either to check the notification center. However, I did just test this on the iPhone. If watching a youtube video, it will pause the video if you pull down the notification shade (however video continuos to buffer). I do like having non-messages in my notifications center though. Like weather and stocks on the iPhone. To be honest, I still feel Android has the best overall notification center of the three.
    brianatbb, cfoxx and Admorris like this.
    02-05-13 10:17 AM
    and just for the record, iOS "borrowed" notifications from Android.
    02-05-13 10:20 AM
    and just for the record, iOS "borrowed" notifications from Android.
    who cares. According to the courts, Samsung "borrowed" enough from Apple to be on the hook for about $1 billion.
    02-05-13 10:24 AM
    With iOS Notification, when you are in an App (eg. Angry Birds), you need to swipe from the top and see your notification. If it is an e-mail notification you need to click into the notification to view the message. If you want to go back to the App you need to click the home button twice and the old app is accessible again at the bottom bar that appears. I am not completely sure how the Peek works since I have not tested it. Peek and iOS notification seems fundamentally similar but the gestures for BB10 makes it easier and faster to access.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    02-05-13 10:26 AM
    There's a few differences.

Peek allows you to see the message count for each app, iOS notification center doesn't.
    Peek keeps the app running, iOS puts it into that paused state (pull down watching a video and it pauses instantly).
    Peek allows you to see a brief "summary" of notifications instantly - you see the number for each app, and going into the hub gets you more detail. iOS requires you to scroll through notification center to get an idea of what each app has.
    Biggest issue is that iOS only shows you X number of recent messages (so you may have 100 missed texts, but iOS will only show you 5 by default) whereas Peek shows you the NUMBER of recent messages, then you can go deeper from there.

Using my iPhone 5 and Z10 side by side - that's definitely one of the features that the Z10 just blows away the iPhone in.
    sf49ers, MC_A_DOT, cfoxx and 9 others like this.
    02-05-13 10:27 AM
    Because Peek shows you new and old notifications, as far as I know iOS only shows new notifications.

PS it doesn't show you recent messages it shows you ALL messages.
    Yes - that's what I understand. When you peek into the hub, you don't just see notifications - you see the whole shebang, right?
    02-05-13 10:29 AM
    What some are missing is what you are peeking into, ie the Hub not a notification area. Everything is in there.
    02-05-13 10:35 AM
    Peak is that, a peak. You can swipe up, then to the right hold it and see "eh that is a dumb email, I don't care" and then let go and go back to what you are doing. Also you can see multiple emails, texts, Facebook updates, tweets at the same time, ios and android you see that one. Also you can let go on the peak gesture you never leave the app till you go all the way to the right in gesture. Using all three os's myself, peak seems more fluid as swiping from the top, in ios and android is ok, but if you want to do see your inbox and see stuff you must jump out of an app, not in bb10.

Make what I said above short: ios and android (I used these so I know) you see just small part of messages and have to choice one to jump and stop apps. In peak you can see all of it and then you are not stopping an app unless you want to stay in the hub.
    02-05-13 10:42 AM
    I wish BB10 would have brought pop-up notifications of incoming messages (like iOS). It's nice to see what's coming so I can decide if I need to deal with it. Shao-Soft's Leave It On brought it to BBOS, hopefully He's working on the BB10 version, how 'bout it Shao-Soft?
    Admorris likes this.
    02-05-13 10:58 AM
    With iOS Notification, when you are in an App (eg. Angry Birds), you need to swipe from the top and see your notification. If it is an e-mail notification you need to click into the notification to view the message. If you want to go back to the App you need to click the home button twice and the old app is accessible again at the bottom bar that appears. I am not completely sure how the Peek works since I have not tested it. Peek and iOS notification seems fundamentally similar but the gestures for BB10 makes it easier and faster to access.
    no you dont. I can swipe down from inside Angry birds and read a 2 or 3 line preview of the email and then swipe back up. Then you are back where you were. Not sure how swiping left/right is any different then swiping up/down?
    02-05-13 10:59 AM
    Also you can see multiple emails, texts, Facebook updates, tweets at the same time, ios and android you see that one.
    Um, no. So much wrong information here. You can certainly see a list of all your notifications (up to a certain amount) in the IOS notification center (not just the one).
    02-05-13 11:00 AM
    Semi5, yes your right I forgot that. I think the end thing here is that you either like the peak into the main hub, the FULL message center, or pull down from the top. I never liked pulling down from the top as even when stuff came in, it popped up in the top of my ios apps.
    02-05-13 11:05 AM
    I wish BB10 would have brought pop-up notifications of incoming messages (like iOS). It's nice to see what's coming so I can decide if I need to deal with it. Shao-Soft's Leave It On brought it to BBOS, hopefully He's working on the BB10 version, how 'bout it Shao-Soft?
    I'm glad they didn't. I hate something popping up interrupting what I'm doing.
    02-05-13 11:05 AM
    There's a few differences.

Peek allows you to see the message count for each app, iOS notification center doesn't.
    Peek keeps the app running, iOS puts it into that paused state (pull down watching a video and it pauses instantly).
    Peek allows you to see a brief "summary" of notifications instantly - you see the number for each app, and going into the hub gets you more detail. iOS requires you to scroll through notification center to get an idea of what each app has.
    Biggest issue is that iOS only shows you X number of recent messages (so you may have 100 missed texts, but iOS will only show you 5 by default) whereas Peek shows you the NUMBER of recent messages, then you can go deeper from there.

Using my iPhone 5 and Z10 side by side - that's definitely one of the features that the Z10 just blows away the iPhone in.
    I guess, but there doesnt seem to be an order whatsoever in the BB Hub. Also, I really like having interactive widgets in my notification center (stocks, weather). Android even allows more interactions with their notifications. Maybe I need some more practice, but the hub is a big list of confusion for me.
    02-05-13 11:06 AM
    I'm glad they didn't. I hate something popping up interrupting what I'm doing.
    How is it interrupting? It takes up 5 pixels in height and goes away without any interaction. Atleast in Android and iOS you have the option to turn off if you dont like.
    02-05-13 11:08 AM
    Semi5, yes your right I forgot that. I think the end thing here is that you either like the peak into the main hub, the FULL message center, or pull down from the top. I never liked pulling down from the top as even when stuff came in, it popped up in the top of my ios apps.
    I will agree with you on one thing though, as phone's get bigger, swiping from the top is probably not the best idea.
    02-05-13 11:09 AM
    I think Semi5, this is where you pick the os that is for you....

I hate android and the way the notifications run and ios is better, but I don't like stuff popping up at the top of the screen. THEN if I picked a text or email in ios, or android, I went to one place, had to jump out and go the other section to look at other notification. In bb10, you do the peak and hit the hub, and then all the stuff is there. I like centralized things in os's, liked it in windows phone and I know I will love this. Though we all don't like the same things.
    02-05-13 11:10 AM
    I think Semi5, this is where you pick the os that is for you....

I hate android and the way the notifications run and ios is better, but I don't like stuff popping up at the top of the screen. THEN if I picked a text or email in ios, or android, I went to one place, had to jump out and go the other section to look at other notification. In bb10, you do the peak and hit the hub, and then all the stuff is there. I like centralized things in os's, liked it in windows phone and I know I will love this. Though we all don't like the same things.
    Agreed, its an opinion. But wouldn't it be better if BB offered the option of the popup banner and allow you to turn it off? I'm still confused with the one place comment. In Android and iOS all notifications can be put into the notification center, you dont need to go to another screen.
    02-05-13 11:13 AM
    How is it interrupting? It takes up 5 pixels in height and goes away without any interaction. Atleast in Android and iOS you have the option to turn off if you dont like.
    Ever been on a computer writing a doc and something pops up taking you out of the document to that window? That's the kind of popups I'm talking about.
    02-05-13 11:14 AM
79 123 ...