I believe there was already a thread about this but I can't find it ...

My problem is that I receive text file attachments which do NOT have the standard extension txt but lcs (for licence files) or log (you know which kind of files).
    The result is I can't open them on the device. Is there a way to view them? The options is see are:
    • Changing the extension - but I can only change the name and not the extension by rename in the file manager
    • Using an (viewer/editor) app which reads all files as text files - but I can't find one which has the option. Most notepad app keep the notes in some kind of DB
    • Registering these files (log and lcs) as text files so that can be handled as normal text files (this would be my favourite solution) - but not sure if this can be done, i.e. if there an app with which I could register a viewer for an arbitrary extension.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    05-14-14 06:21 PM
    You can choose Properties instead of Rename when you're in the file manager. Then when you tap Rename at the bottom of the Properties screen you'll be able to edit the extension.

Posted via CB10o
    allwi likes this.
    05-14-14 09:38 PM
    You can choose Properties instead of Rename when you're in the file manager. Then when you tap Rename at the bottom of the Properties screen you'll be able to edit the extension.
    I absolutely sure I tried this - but I didn't ...
    Thanks works well - although not the ideal solution, at least a workaround
    05-14-14 10:01 PM
    There are some text editors that will read regular text files and save as text.

For some reason almost all the native BB10 text editors I've tried were junk.

If I want to open a really large file that other apps won't open, and have the option to save as a regular text file, I will generally use "Docs to Go", which comes free on the devices.

If I want a lightweight and handy text editor that also will open or save as standard text files but don't need to work with very large files, I use the Android app "Simple Notepad" from Almighty Frog which is free, requires almost no permissions, and works fab. (I use it on my Android tablet as well)
    allwi likes this.
    05-15-14 02:28 AM