BB is a great workhorse and absolutely the best when it comes to emails and work stuff which is the most use on my side. I see also the star (or is it a comet) of BB decline but I hope for the better. It still needs to improve the BB OS and to come on par with certain specific android applications to be ported to BB OS.

And its right BB is not doing any marketing and still selling their phones which rather speaks positive for them. In Europe (France, Germany, Italy) BB is basically not existent at all and hidden even in the stores, in the Arab world (Emirates, Qatar, GCC and Egypt) BB is still a status symbol and quite existent in the stores though no marketing at all as in Europe...

I assume BB need to do one key action : Make their phones special and distinct to get back to old status. As the key phones of the professionals and high ranking people... Then they will be back.

BB going Android will kill BB entirely and makes it just one out of sooo many vendors like Xiaomei.
    Well, I live now in Germany, and still I see people having a BlackBerry, both consumers and Business. In Italy only business people.... Lack of marketing kills BB!

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 01:17 PM
    Indeed, I went from my Samsung S6 back to the Z30, it just such a good device, and my Android apps, while slightly slower to load some actually seem to run smoother, who knew.

Just want to know what seems to be the American habit of staying with one provider? I jump ship often to other providers if they meet my needs, but then I buy my handsets SIM free.

Barry
    Firstly, Nice FTO.

Secondly, Do you honestly have merely slightly lower load times than Android? My brother has the Galaxy s6 and I have the z30 running .858 - we compared apps the other day and concluded that mine are substantially slower. Most apps are about 4-5 seconds until loaded and usable and anything that required google maps or services patching is more like 9-10 seconds.

Thirdly, In States its more common to have a multi year contract with one provider than buying the phone outright and switching sims as needed. The trend is shifting however to buying the phone, an increasing number of providers are offering free contract cancellations for switching and financing/purchase options.
    08-19-15 02:34 PM
    Firstly, Nice FTO.

Secondly, Do you honestly have merely slightly lower load times than Android? My brother has the Galaxy s6 and I have the z30 running .858 - we compared apps the other day and concluded that mine are substantially slower. Most apps are about 4-5 seconds until loaded and usable and anything that required google maps or services patching is more like 9-10 seconds.

Thirdly, In States its more common to have a multi year contract with one provider than buying the phone outright and switching sims as needed. The trend is shifting however to buying the phone, an increasing number of providers are offering free contract cancellations for switching and financing/purchase options.
    Yeah I don't understand... we won't subsidize your phone, but we'll payoff your ETF up to $600 if you'll switch to us. Tell your existing carrier you are thinking of switching and they don't care. At least when I call DirecTV and tell them I'm switching, they'll work pretty hard to keep my business - but that could change now that AT&T owns them.
    08-19-15 03:19 PM
    I am disappointed in Chen. His tenure at BlackBerry should be a B-school case study in the lack of fungibility of C-suite experience across different industries.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 03:37 PM
    My first Blackberry was the Bold 9700. My last the Passport. Since 2008 or 2009, I had the 9700, 9900, Q10 and Passport.
    Blackberry is the only brand who is perfect for my use. So, if they have to shut down BB10 for Android, or worse, shut down the smartphone division, I would be massively disappointed.

Right now, I'm already disappointed by John Chen and his choices, because it's seems to me he is waiting patiently the death of the OS. The brand is badly damaged since perhaps 2011 and nothing have been done to solve this.

They can make a device that is right now two years in front of the iPhone 28 they will send zero device because the brand is damaged.

I have the passport since the 6 august, my mates were all surprised that Blackberry was selling new smartphone. Here in Paris, everybody is thinking that Blackberry is dead. It's not that they are thinking their device are bad, it's worse, for most of them, Blackberry is Bold or Curve !

It's like thinking BMW is the E39 series, Mercedes the indestructible W124 series etc..

It's why I'm disappointed by Blackberry, because it's looks like they are not trying to save the brand and rebuilt it, they just want to cut the infested the leg and stay with the rest.

Posted via my Passport
    08-19-15 04:28 PM
    It's why I'm disappointed by Blackberry, because it's looks like they are not trying to save the brand and rebuilt it, they just want to cut the infested the leg and stay with the rest.

Posted via my Passport
    No, they just want to milk the brand for all its worth, whatever that is left of the brand anyway while at the same time, minimize loss to shareholders (read: Prem).
    08-19-15 06:24 PM
    It's pretty hard to say I'm disappointed in BlackBerry because they have done as much as possible given the resources they have. They have to balance between being a profitable company and being a phone company.

It appears being a strong company may mean not being a phone company.

Also I should add that I'm more disappointed in the consumer market for being blind sheep and not recognizing the superiority of the BlackBerry OS over android. That said, this is a predictable outcome and one shouldn't be surprised that marketing wins the day and once a trend is established, the heard follows.

If BlackBerry can navigate this app problem with Google play services, I think BlackBerry has a future in phones. If not, they are dead. There is no question that without android apps, the company folds the handset division within months.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    08-19-15 06:35 PM
    my first cell phone was a Blackberry and I and my husband have used nothing else ever since!

Blackberry has not let me down but they have let THEMSELVES down by keeping their amazing products a COMPLETE secret! I have yet to see an advertisement for ANY model of their phone and I live in the Los Angeles area which is a huge cellular market!

When someone sees my Passport, they go WOW! that a huge phone, and I say yes but easy to read text and email, etc and then when I tell them the other features of the phone and the ability to run Android (the applications I have DO run smoothly!) AND the ability to add up to a 200GB micro SDXC card to a phone that ALREADY is loaded with 32GB standard.....they are amazed. The HD video is amazing WITH the addition of using what is basically a flood light during videotaping is really something else. Does any other phone on the market allow the user to take videos in whatever level of lighting and heighten it with the flash for lighting and 1080p video quality.

This is all a secret to non-blackberry (and possibly current blackberry users) users!!

The Passport is solid, quality, tough phone with a very quick response. Sure, it may have some minor drawbacks BUT considering the features it outshines any Android or iPhone phone on the market in my humble opinion!
    08-19-15 07:07 PM
    Ikalinin

The problem isn't with Blackberry, it's with Verizon having (until very recently) been totally CDMA based. The rest of the world uses the GSM bands for phone communication and only the US uses CDMA bands (with Verizon the head CDMA cheerleader). Therefore, until relatively recently, Verizon did not have any phone that could be used outside the USA, unlike all those carriers offering GSM and by sticking closely to its CDMA only phones - it is simply limiting the phones it can offer rather than the phone manufacturers not being supportive.

Blackberry was always a GSM world phone and adapted some of its phones to CDMA for Verizon to sell. As most of the world uses GSM and people travel so much for business and pleasure - GSM is the phone system for the majority of users worldwide. Blackberry's sales for CDMA phones are far smaller than those for GSM so they have to back the phones that will work in the most places and thereby sell the most units.

It was always something that drew me away from being a Verizon customer. I have to travel a lot and have always found the CDMA system too limiting so have relied on GSM for well over a decade now. I understand your disappointment - but the issue is for Verizon to come into the real world and change it's focus from CDMA based to GSM in all its phones rather than stick with the self limiting CDMA versions.
    08-19-15 08:15 PM
    The rest of the world uses the GSM bands for phone communication and only the US uses CDMA bands (with Verizon the head CDMA cheerleader). Therefore, until relatively recently, Verizon did not have any phone that could be used outside the USA, unlike all those carriers offering GSM and by sticking closely to its CDMA only phones - it is simply limiting the phones it can offer rather than the phone manufacturers not being supportive.
    Actually that's not completely correct. China has a CDMA carrier (the largest in the world, IIRC,) India has at least one that I know of, and Africa has a bunch. BB has not made BB10 phones for any of them though.

Also, BB phones on Verizon have had some GSM capability going as far back as the Storm 9530, albeit not every Verizon BB phone since the Storm may have been GSM capable. But GSM has been seeded for at least seven years now.

You are right about sales. Globally and probably even within just North America, the number of CDMA units sold is lower than GSM units sold. Because when BB makes CDMA phones, they make them specifically for Verizon, or Sprint. So if there's no order placed by the carriers, they won't manufacture them--and since the Sprint Z30 fiasco, they won't even bother sending them through the FCC for testing. OTOH, you can have one GSM model for all of North America and one for rest of the world--so inventory management is more relaxed.
    08-19-15 08:42 PM
    Quite a bunch of customers here and CEO's...
    Seems they sell less of those than they did vkb phones.
    08-19-15 11:29 PM
    Seems they sell less of those than they did vkb phones.
    Maybe it's because they over produced the VKB phones, had to write off almost $1 billion, and unload them cheap?

Sales of BlackBerry's Q10 Keyboard Phone Fall Flat - WSJ

"The rollout of the phones was delayed by more than a year. By the time they were unveiled at a glitzy January launch event in New York, BlackBerry's market share had shriveled. In a decision that confused some in the industry, BlackBerry pushed out the touch-screen Z10 first, even though its fans valued BlackBerry for the keyboard."

"The Q10 went on sale at Verizon and AT&T earlier this summer, and is launching on Sprint this Friday. Carriers had already started discounting the Z10, and inventory of both phones is starting to pile up just a few months after their U.S. launch, people familiar with the matter said.

The Z10 is now available free on a two-year contract at several outlets such as Best Buy. And BlackBerry has started offering employees the chance to buy up to 10 Z10s, contract-free, for less than $100 each, according to a person familiar with the matter. BlackBerry said it offers its products to employees at special rates."
    08-20-15 02:04 AM
    It's pretty hard to say I'm disappointed in BlackBerry because they have done as much as possible given the resources they have. They have to balance between being a profitable company and being a phone company.

It appears being a strong company may mean not being a phone company.

Also I should add that I'm more disappointed in the consumer market for being blind sheep and not recognizing the superiority of the BlackBerry OS over android. That said, this is a predictable outcome and one shouldn't be surprised that marketing wins the day and once a trend is established, the heard follows.

If BlackBerry can navigate this app problem with Google play services, I think BlackBerry has a future in phones. If not, they are dead. There is no question that without android apps, the company folds the handset division within months.

Posted via CB10
    The consumer is king, if you can't attract them it's your fault because you don't interest them and you are giving to the consumer the desire to change from IOS or Android to BB10.

Posted via my Passport
    08-20-15 03:34 AM
    The consumer is king, if you can't attract them it's your fault because you don't interest them and you are giving to the consumer the desire to change from IOS or Android to BB10.

Posted via my Passport
    That's true to an extent but you have to remember that BlackBerry essentially made one key mistake and it cost them about two years and the whole of their reputation. For this they are fully to blame.

Since that mistake BlackBerry has not even been in the same ballpark as Google and Apple in terms of resources. Those companies are many tens of times larger and can manipulate audiences with advertising, product volume, and competitive pricing etc.

My feeling is that since that key mistake, BlackBerry has done about as well as a person could expect given very steep odds.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-15 09:30 PM
    BlackBerry never build TD/4G antenna device and ignoring the China market. The android apps are load at free at website and BlackBerry World is need to pay . I'm understand, load app is need to pay, but is due to many people is bothers to pay for app . The BlackBerry 10.3.2 xxx. Is not stable, and some bugs have not fix. These are a few points that BlackBerry sale is not successful .

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 03:12 AM
    BlackBerry never build TD/4G antenna device and ignoring the China market. The android apps are load at free at website and BlackBerry World is need to pay . I'm understand, load app is need to pay, but is due to many people is bothers to pay for app . The BlackBerry 10.3.2 xxx. Is not stable, and some bugs have not fix. These are a few points that BlackBerry sale is not successful .

Posted via CB10
    Yes, Android gives users much free of apps and some popular apps are updated faster than apps in BlackBerry World. It is makes me create sentence: "too many thinkings because too secure."

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 12:34 PM
    I guess you are right. Companies without any marketing and sales campaigns die sooner or later. They get forgotten or disambuiged for something else...

BB needs some clever marketing and sales campaign to bring back BB as brand of superior quality and handsets to the people and make it special to be sold well...
    08-22-15 02:44 PM
    I believe BB is 4G device with all capabilities. AT least I am at 4G with Z30 in Europe and Arabian Gulf, the emirates
    08-22-15 02:49 PM
    I believe BB is 4G device with all capabilities. AT least I am at 4G with Z30 in Europe and Arabian Gulf, the emirates
    No. There are two types of 4G/LTE networks: FDD and TDD. BB has most of the FDD bands, but none of the TDD bands.

TDD-LTE is big in China, India, Africa and other some other places in the world. Even in Saudi Arabia they have TDD networks, but they are supplementary, instead of primary.
    08-22-15 03:45 PM
    Love my BlackBerry to death. I have a BlackBerry Passport and can't seem to get enough of it. Not sure what phone you had that ruined your day but every day is a fun day for me.

Posted via CB10
    kgbbz10 likes this.
    08-22-15 09:50 PM
    I love my Passport Original. I've installed Cobalt's apps and have all the Google Apps that I was missing. Everything is freaking awesome now! I could not be happier with BlackBerry. I always look to BlackBerry World first and then to Google but man life is freaking good with my BlackBerry Passport!!!!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    The_Passporter likes this.
    08-22-15 10:01 PM
    Firstly, Nice FTO.

Thanks, shes away now, got it imported from Japan and later fitted a leather interior and the OZ Ultraleggera's still miss it!

I only use 2 or 3 android apps and the ones i do use don't seem to have a 5 second delay, they are not games i should add, a diary app and my online banking.

Barry
    08-24-15 06:37 AM
    With the move to 10.3, All the drivers on Blackberry's Desktop Device Manager needed to be updated. There have also been updates to Blackberry Link as well. I, like you, think the Z10 is a great phone - I am still using mine. Research on the Blackberry website & breath new life into your Z10, it's worth it.
    08-24-15 03:10 PM
    What 10.3? Vaporware right now.
    08-24-15 04:24 PM
124 ... 345