Obviously the doom and gloom in some of these threads are not lost on people, many of which promise to use their Z10, or Q10, or which ever (for me it's Z30) as LONG as they possibly can.

But how long can that actually be? Lots of people have explained that if the servers shut down, many of the services we love would close too. Then on the other hand, some people like to compare your phone to a pen, quoting that if Bic went out of business, it's not like the ink in your pen would stop running. IMO, not a good comparison.

But... honestly, what would go first, and what could survive?

I currently use an older Z10 as a media device to play lullabies in my infant's bedroom to a Bluetooth speaker. Hopefully that is basic enough to survive. But if BlackBerry crashed tomorrow, I'm assuming BlackBerry World would be gone. No BBM. I heard one user say on his PlayBook, he can't even use the browser anymore. And some people have discussed horror stories where BlackBerry servers went down, and some basic functions were temporarily suspended.

I will likely use my Z30 for a bit longer (unless by a miracle a new full touch bb10 device is announced) . But after that, I'll keep it as a media device. I just want to know what to expect when it comes to the diminished functions my dear phone will be subjected to.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-06-16 03:26 PM
    Obviously the doom and gloom in some of these threads are not lost on people, many of which promise to use their Z10, or Q10, or which ever (for me it's Z30) as LONG as they possibly can.

But how long can that actually be? Lots of people have explained that if the servers shut down, many of the services we love would close too. Then on the other hand, some people like to compare your phone to a pen, quoting that if Bic went out of business, it's not like the ink in your pen would stop running. IMO, not a good comparison.

But... honestly, what would go first, and what could survive?
    BlackBerry itself is not in immediate danger, so I wouldn't worry much about the servers going away.

1. I would be worried about an unpatched software vulnerability after the last maintenance release.
    2. Then I would be worried about software incompatibilities as the world moves forward but your device and its apps stay frozen in time.
    3. Then I would be worried about getting replacements for the hardware that has a lifespan, for example the battery.

If 1 and 2 don't materialize you could go for many years before 3 is a problem.

I am still using my Playbook.
    04-06-16 04:47 PM
    If BlackBerry shut down tomorrow bb10 devices will still work just fine and basically the only lost would be BBM since that is the only thing that runs through their servers.

Email, text, twitter, etc never run through BlackBerry in bb10.

Anyone that still uses a bbos device would be screwed though.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-16 04:52 PM
    If BlackBerry shut down tomorrow bb10 devices will still work just fine and basically the only lost would be BBM since that is the only thing that runs through their servers.

Email, text, twitter, etc never run through BlackBerry in bb10.

Anyone that still uses a bbos device would be screwed though.

Posted via CB10
    What about BlackBerry World?
    04-06-16 06:23 PM
    What about BlackBerry World?
    Ah got me bb world too would stop, but it is not like a bunch of apps get updated now so won't miss much

๐Ÿ˜
    04-06-16 06:29 PM
    Ah got me bb world too would stop, but it is not like a bunch of apps get updated now so won't miss much

๐Ÿ˜
    You go ahead and keep saying stuff without thinking first. I got your back.
    04-06-16 06:33 PM
    1. Battery life degrades and some bb10 phones have nonremovable batteries. Sure you can take the phone apart and cchange it but most people don't want to take apart their phone.

2. Death of BlackBerry world. Sure bb10 app development has almost come to a stop, but android apps through the runtime are hit and miss.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 01:44 AM
    If you preserve it in one of those egyptian jar thingies it could last upwards of 3,000 years. I know because I saw it work on Stargate with a camera.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-16 03:30 AM
    I don't think it's so much what services we might loose that will drive us away, but what won't we be able to take part in. Tech is going to make leaps and bounds as the years continue and a lot of changes will be linked to smart phones in some way. If you don't have the right device, with the right OS you will be disconnected.
    We've already been dealing with it for years. I have to use an Android app that doesn't really work properly for my Fitbit, same with my Pebble watch, that is until somebody came up with a third party app, which we have to rely on more than any other platform. I bought a Kevo Lock because it said it worked with Bluetooth only to find out that the app which manages your locks is only available with IOS and Lolipop.
    I love BB10, I have convinced enough people to try it that I should be on the pay roll, but the lack of inclusion from the general tech world is becoming frustrating. If anything that is what will drive me away.

Posted via CB10
    ALToronto likes this.
    04-07-16 08:43 PM
    I completely agree with bgregory.

I love BB10, I just upgraded my Z10 to a Passport yesterday. I went into it knowing it will likely be my last BB10 device, so to just enjoy it while I can.

The hub and Blackberry Blend are what keep me here stubbornly, despite being super frustrated with the company, their management and marketing.

I cross my fingers that with time someone will be bright enough to replicate The Hub and Blend as an add on App I can put on Android.

I would like to think I can make a BB10 device last "forever", but the reality is that the hardware may last a decade, but as things around us change and progress, we will gravitate to another OS simply out of need, or even because we might get bored that BB10 doesn't progress to new features that will become necessary.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking of getting a used Android for cheap just to have as a wifi connected media device and access apps that I can't access with BB10. I do have google play store on my phone, and I'm not a big App user..... but when you catch yourself thinking about having a secondary device around for stuff you can't do with your main device... you realize no matter what..... it's the beginning of the end.
    04-09-16 01:06 AM
    One thing that may make BB10 devices remain functional longer is Windows 10. Microsoft is pushing for universal apps, which more often than not are just web apps, which work on BB10 devices. And BlackBerry is committed to providing at least security updates for BB10 for at least another 2 years.

I have noticed a very slight performance decrease on my Passport's browser, nothing to worry about - yet. I know it will get worse, but I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it. For now, nothing beats the functionality of the Passport, and teamed with my Surface 3, it's a powerful tool. But there's that need for a second device, a need that will likely get greater.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    04-09-16 05:44 AM
    My guess 3 years from now on if they update android runtime 6 for BB10 users. I will buy a spare BB10 device if they upgrade it because love the gesture, swipe and the hub or maybe they could get it all working the same like on Android ,then my guess everyone will move to Android
    04-09-16 08:05 AM
    If you want your hardware to last, get a Z10 or a Q10. They have removable batteries and they can have new batteries when the old battery wears out.

The phone's basic function such as the browser, music, maps, email, and calendar will keep on working so you have nothing to worry about.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-16 10:03 AM
    Thanks for a lot of the comments.
    My latest annoyance was the Facebook app no longer working. Honestly I didn't use it much, but losing the contact integration sucked. I liked having many of my personal contacts have profile photos associated with with them. Some still do with LinkedIn or Twitter. But I lost quite a few.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    04-09-16 10:30 AM
    It still works.
    It was fear mongering. I fell for the update in mid march, but I declined the update on my mom's Q10 and waited it out to april, still works. Notifications, facebook chat into hub and contact integration, all still work. The only thing that doesn't work is that when you click on the notifications they may tell you unavailable, so that's when the browser shortcut to facebook kicks in.

Someone posted the .bar file on here a few days ago for the last version of the old facebook, get it, install it, and you are good to go.
    04-09-16 11:39 AM