Hi,

I just wondered when sideloading how you know you aren't loading infected files that could cause problems because as I understand it you don't get the files from a App Store such as the play store?
    10-05-13 10:03 AM
    aye, well, there's the rub....

sometimes you don't really know if you don't know the source well.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-05-13 10:06 AM
    Hi,

I just wondered when sideloading how you know you aren't loading infected files that could cause problems because as I understand it you don't get the files from a App Store such as the play store?
    You will be alerted by the "active" protection software on your PC either when you download to your PC or when you try to sideload, AVG(or whatever you use) should popup for potential threats. I received about 3 alerts last night on my laptop after downloading files from varoius sites. As Q stated, that's the problem and the chance all of us take when searching for files from sites posted by others. Make sure you pc protection is activated and up-to-date before downloading anything.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 10-05-13 at 10:18 AM. Reason: *&^%$ keyboard/eye thing happening.
    10-05-13 10:07 AM
    I wouldn't have much confidence that a PC virus scanner would have signatures for Android threats.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:58 AM
    Well, I get most of my APK files from the Play Store through this beautiful little plugin: https://lekensteyn.nl/apk-downloader/
    Except if it's a beta program app, but most people needn't worry about that.
    10-05-13 12:06 PM
    Well, I get most of my APK files from the Play Store through this beautiful little plugin: https://lekensteyn.nl/apk-downloader/
    Except if it's a beta program app, but most people needn't worry about that.
    Same. It works great. The only catch is that you need to know your Google Play ID, and the only way I could get that was to download the BlueStacks Android emulator on my PC, then run an application (forget the name) that retrieved it. If you have an Android phone you can just use the phone.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    10-05-13 12:45 PM
    If you don't trust an android app, simply upload it to http://www.virustotal.com for a comprehensive scan.

Posted via CB10 using my Gorgeous Z10
    10-05-13 12:47 PM
    Same. It works great. The only catch is that you need to know your Google Play ID, and the only way I could get that was to download the BlueStacks Android emulator on my PC, then run an application (forget the name) that retrieved it. If you have an Android phone you can just use the phone.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    Exactly. Once Bluestacks is set up and you get a device ID you can save that ID somewhere safe and get rid of Bluestacks (except if you need it to extract beta APKs).
    10-05-13 01:01 PM
    Thanks, not the easiest thing to be sure of then that an average consumer could do.
    10-05-13 03:31 PM