Hi all, In reply to http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ually-1029112/, please find below my write-up of my method.

Moderators; perhaps this could be a sticky / post in the OS 10 FAQ? I couldn't seem to post directly in there? Thanks.

Disclaimer:

Please make sure you take a backup of your existing data, both in Blackberry Password Keeper and your other password management programs / applications, as I cannot be held responsible for any loss of data. I am no expert, but have done my best to document here one way of importing 3rd party application data into the Blackberry Password Keeper application for OS 10 devices that I have found.

Tools /Software Needed:

-Existing password manager data, exported as .csv file / text file
    -An application capable of opening, manipulating, and saving .csv extension files, either on the Blackberry target device, or desktop / laptop computer (my choice was Microsoft Excel 2010)
    -A plain text file editor, such as Microsoft Notepad or Notepad++
    -Ability to transfer files to and from the Blackberry target device; via SD card, wireless connection, Blackberry Blend software link etc.
    -Blackberry Password Keeper version 10.2.0.44 and above; previous official versions do not have an import / export ability.

Resources:

Please find attached example .csv files to assist you in using the guide;

csv_examples.zip

Index

1. Exporting data from your existing password manager
    2. Opening and manipulating the exported data file,
    2.1 Combining "Notes", "Comments" columns into the single "extra"-named column
    3. Saving the amended file, and importing into Blackberry Password Keeper
    4. Possible problems and issues
    5. Other help options
    6. Links and notes

1. Exporting data from your existing password manager

The first step for importing password data from another source into Blackberry's Password Keeper application is to export your current password data from whatever program / application you are using at present.

In the examples show here, I am using the freeware Windows application "Oubliette", and so it is a simple matter to open the application, unlock the password file, and then navigate to the "Tools" menu, and choose "Export". I have selected the "save to" path, and checked the box that will export the record passwords as well as their details, into a .csv format file, choosing the comma as the delimiting symbol;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-oub_exp.jpg

Having clicked "Export now", a file named "20160112.csv" was saved to my desktop PC at the path C:\test\20160112.csv.

You'll need to review your own password-keeping application's instructions to find out how to export your data, but try looking for any mention of "Export" in it's menu as a good starting point. You need it to be unencrypted and in a plain-text format.

2. Opening and manipulating the exported data, then saving it

Having got the details out into a file, open this file in your .csv file editor application of choice in a column / row view, if possible. You should see something very similar to the screen grab below;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-oub.csv.jpg

In layman's terms, you'll have a set of "headings" for areas your program uses along with your data, split between those headings. Aside from anything else, you'd expect to see a heading for something like "user name" and something like "password". They could be called anything like "user", "ID", logon" or "pass", "pwd", "passcode", for example.

In my example, and viewing it as a column / row spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel 2010, the Oubliette export .csv file has 10 columns, with the names of each type of data stored listed in row 1. You can see that you can pretty quickly work out what's what; columns B and C hold the log-in name for a site or entity, and the password for that username is present as "passphrase" in column C.

Having done an unencrypted export from Blackberry Password Keeper using the "For Blackberry 10" option, we can see that there are 18 columns in the data export as below;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-blackberry_csv.jpg

The task now is to take our exported data and merge it into a file that has the same formatting as the Blackberry Password Keeper export file;

Reading the Blackberry Password Keeper export file from left to right, "url" is internet site address data so looking at my Oubliette folder I can see a match for that sort of data in a column called "URL".

You have a choice here to either copy the internet site address data rows from your exported file into the Blackberry Password Keeper exported file under the "url" column, change the name of your internet site address data column in your exported file to match the Blackberry Password Keeper column name of "url", or thirdly start a new blank .csv sheet, add a matching "url" column to it, and copy the data to that.

The next column is "username" and again, looking at my Oubliette export, I can see a column called "Username" which looks to be holding the same type of data. Just like the above, I copy over the "Username" data rows under Oubliette's "Username" column either into my new sheet, or the exising Blackberry Password Keeper export file, ensuring that I don't overwrite the column name.

The third column in the Blackberry Password Keeper export file is called "password", and that's a match for my Oubliette export's "password" data, so I can copy that into my target file as above too.

The Fourth column is called "extra", and it's not immediatnely obvious what this column is holding, but you can quickly ascertain that it's essentially a column of "notes" / "other data", or a place you might want to note down any additional instructions you need for using a password and username combination.

At this point, you'll see that whereas Blackberry Password Keeper just has this one single "Notes" area, Oubliette has several more fields listed for things like "Category", "Memo", "Email", amongst others.

For now, ignore these and I'll come back to combining extra columns later on in this article.

Column 5 is named "name" and this is the name of the entry within Blackberry Password Keeper. A quick look shows me that Oubliette's equivelent column is called "Account", and so I copy over all the data rows in "Account" into the "name" column.

Column 6 is named "grouping", and blank by default in the Blackberry Password Manager export, so continue to leave this blank for now.

Column 7 is named "fav" in the Blackberry Password Manager export file, and has a default value of "0"... so for each row of your data, you need to ensure that the "fav" column value is set to "0" too.

Column 8 is named "customFields", and blank by default. Again, I left this blank too for all my copied over data.

Column 9 is named "lastModified" and appears to be a date and time in Epoch format. Because retaining a modified date wasn't important to me, and also because it's not a column / category that Oubliette holds / exports, I simply insterted a valid Epoch date and copied this across all my rows of data, so that they all showed the same value (date) in "lastModified".

Column 10 is named "uid", and appears to be a unique identifer for each record. If you're famimilar with databases, this seems to be the "primary key" for the records, and should not be duplicated. Looking at the Blackberry Password Keeper exported file, the uid would seem to be a 17 or 19-digit minus number, randomly generated?

To fill this column for my data, I guessed I could change one single digit in the middle of the each row's value for this uid, and did the same for second and third row's number, increasing it by one each time, like this;

As you can see the 10th digit reading from left to right is different and incrementing upwards. With three changed, I then used Excel's automatic "fill formulas" to drag down the remainder of the column, increasing the number by one each time. That should give you a unique number for each and every row of data you have to import, in the same sort of format.

Columns 11, 12, 13, and 14, named "usernameLabel", "passwordLabel", "websiteLabel", and "notesLabel" were all blank on my testing export, so I left those blank for my rows of data too.

column 15 is named "passwordSetDate", and it looks to be the same format as column 9's "LastModifiedDate" values; a date and time in Epoch format. I filled this column for my data with the same value, as like the "LastModifiedDate", it wasn't a concern for me, and setting all the rows for importing as the time and date now was fine by me.

The next two columns, 16 and 17; "flags", and "imageIndex" just had zeros across every row of my Blackberry Password Manager test export, so I copied this, and filled the two columns with zeros for all my rows to be imported.

The last row, number 18; "dataversion", had the vlaue of 1 for every row in my test export, so I copied that value again for all the rows in the data I wanted to import.

At this point, you should have a csv file that has matching headings to the Blackberry Password Keeper exported .csv file in its first row, but with your exported data from your other password manager in it.

2.1 Combining "Notes", "Comments" columns into the single "extra"-named column

One thing that I found was that in Oubliette, I'd made notes in more than one of the "boxes" it has for each record; there's fields for "Note", "Email", and "Memo", whereas Blackberry Password Keeper just has the one notes area, and which is called "extra" in the export file. However, it's quite easy to combine values in two or more cells in different columns into another single cell within Excel, working around the problem;

Let's say you had two columns or more exported from your password program that had extra or "other" data / notes in and which you want to get into Blackberry Password Keeper. In Excel, open the .csv file where the columns are present and in an adjacent empty column (you can add one if needed), use the Excel formula: =CONCATENATE([column1 cell1],"---", [column2 cell2]), where column1, cell1 and column2, cell2 are the two cells to merge, and three dashes are how I want to separate them.

Example as pictured below;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-concatenate.jpg

Column G contains text under the field "Note", and column J contains text under the field "Memo". I want to conbine each pair of cells per row into one cell, so that for row 2 in my example, the cell at cross reference G2 reading "Credit on account of 15" and the cell at cross reference J2 reading "Changed to DDR on 21/07/2015", merge into the cell at cross reference K2.

I selected the blank cell K2, and typed in the formula;

Code:
    =CONCATENATE(G2,"---",J2)
    ...and hey presto! The two cells' contents are joined, one after the other, in the K2 cell. You can then use Excel's formula drag / paint handle across all the K-row cells to repeat this "down" the sheet, without having to manually type in each row's formula manually.

Copy and paste the combined data column and / or rows into your file for importing, taking care to paste it in as "values" if using Excel, rather than doing a default paste, as you are actually copying formula results. You can do this for 2, 3 or however many columns / fields you need to merge. Please note, at this point, I've no idea just how many characters the "extra" field within Blackberry Password Keeper can actually hold.

3. Saving the amended file, and importing into Blackberry Password Keeper

If you used an existing file, like your exported file from the other password manager, remove any extra columns it may have had in it to leave just the 18 columns as named as above.

Save the file in the format .csv, either directly to your Blackberry target device, or to a place that you can then copy it from to the Blackberry device. Microsoft Excel for example will prompt you with plenty of warnings about keeping the file in that format, and do you want to remove any unsupported features (like additional worksheets). Just acknowledge all of these warnings, and select to keep the file in .csv format and to leave out anything that isn't supported.

With the file on your Blackberry device, launch the Password Keeper application and enter your Password Keeper password to open the current "vault". Alternatively, if you've never used it, go through the set-up process as prompted to create a new, empty vault. Once you've set the password for the new vault, you'll get a screen that has an "import" button (in version 10.3.1.49 certainly) on it you can use. Otherwise, with the Password Keeper application open and unlocked, swipe down from the top with a single finger to display the options bar and tap the "settings" cog icon. This will display the Password Keeper options screen, and scroll down to the import and export section as shown below;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-import.png

Click on the "Import" button, and from the options for "type of import", choose the "Password Keeper for Blackberry 10" option, then tap "Next;

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-import_options.png

A "browse" window will appear, so browse to where you saved your amended file to import, and tap on it to select it. The screen should change to show "Importing Records, with a progress bar. For 400 records or so, it takes a few minutes but the bar does move as the import runs.

HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-import_running.png

NB. It doesn't matter if your screen times out or locks; the process will continue to run, and unlocking the screen will bring back the Password Keeper window and allow you to check the progress again. You may need to re-enter the Password Keeper password too, depending on your settings.

Once completed, the screen should change back to the options screen, and you should see a pop-up stating that x records have been imported. It is only briefly displayed and you may miss it, but this does not matter.

Go back to the main Password Keeper screen, and check the records have all imported successfully. If not, check the text below under 4. Possible problems and issues for more help.

You're done. ;-)

For good measure, now perform an export in Password Manager and keep this file safe. You can choose between an encrypted file and a non-encrypted file. It's up to you, but bear in mind you'll need to stick with unencrypted if you want to carry out any work on the file easily, like we have here.

4. Possible problems and issues

If when trying to import your new file, instead of seeing the importing screen as above, you see the screen simply flash back to the settings screen and / or you see a "imported 0/1 records" or a similar message, this means the import failed. Try checking;

- you chose the right format for importing; the "Password Keeper for Blackberry 10" (NB. If however you chose another option for getting your export file out to work on originally, then you'd need to choose that option for importing, to match. In my example, I stick to using the "Password Keeper for Blackberry 10" option in all cases).

- check that the file saved correctly; Microsoft Excel is known for being problematic with saving .csv files for use in other programs, so check the file in a plaintext applicaton and ensure the first line appears like this, including the quotes / speech marks around each label / category;

Code:
    "url","username","password","extra","name","grouping","fav","customFields","lastModifiedTime","uid",
    "usernameLabel","passwordLabel","websiteLabel","notesLabel","passwordSetDate","flags","imageIndex","dataVersion"
    - If you import the same file twice, you will get duplicate entries... I'd hoped that if the uids I'd created were already in the Blackberry Password Keeper's database, they'd be ignored if they were present in a subsequent import file. However, having inadvertently imported the same file twice in preparing this guide, I got 800 records showing, with two of everything showing. ;-) Worst part to this is that to remove the duplicates, you either have to remove them one at a time, or to remove everything quickly and start over, you'll have to un-install the application, then re-install it, I couldn't see a "clear existing vault"-like option.

5. Other help options

I managed to get this to work for me; I have a Z10 running OS 10.3.2.2474, and used an export file from Tranglos' "Oubliette" password storing program. I can make no guarantee that the method will work with any and all password management tools that have .csv exporting, but the principle should work; if you can get your data out of your program of choice in a plain-text unencrypted .csv file, you SHOULD be able to put that data into a .csv file that matches what Blackberry Password keeper needs to import from.

If you really are stuck, post here, and I'll do my best to assist. Don't post your actual files containing passwords and usernames, but instead remove any personal data and replace it with dummy data.

It would be great if those using other password management tools could post their success or failures here, and I can update this original post with a list of known to work / not work with applications.

6. Links and notes

Each record in Password Keeper seems to take around 1kb of space. My own 840-odd entry file was just a shade under 1MB in size.

I cannot stress enough that you need to take backups. Backups of anything and everything will save your bacon every time.

If you find the text coming from your password storing program has extraneous characters in it (mine had lots of "\n" occurrences (line breaks, I think?), you can use something like Notepad++ / Microsoft Excel to carry out a "find and replace" run through the data. Use a dash or a SPACE as the replace string to remove these, if you wish.

Password Keeper for BlackBerry updated to v10.2.0.44 - Allows for import and export of passwords | CrackBerry.com - Password Keeper for BlackBerry updated to v10.2.0.44 - Allows for import and export of passwords | CrackBerry.com - Post around new import / export function in Blackberry Password Keeper
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UID - What a UID is, in Wikipedia
    Tranglos Software: Freeware - The stuff. It?s coming. Tranglos 3.0 Tranglos Software: Freeware - Home of Oubliette
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ - For Notepad++
    Epoch Converter - Unix Timestamp Converter - Epoch Converter - Unix Timestamp Converter - Epoch time and date conversion web site.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoch_...s_in_computing - What Epoch is, as a time measurement, in Wikipedia
    https://support.office.com/en-in/art...3-75d702bea31d - The CONCATENATE function, via Microsoft Office.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values - Wikipedia's comma-separated values (.csv) page.

Just as a final, final recap... the goal is take the column names from the Blackberry Password Keeper pk_backup .csv file, and use those with your exported data from your own application to make a new .csv file in the format of the Blackberry Password Keeper one.

I'll try and keep this updated and will amend it as I remember things I meant to mention. ;-)

Hope it helps.

Regards

James
    Last edited by JamesW_UK; 01-13-16 at 09:56 AM. Reason: minor changes to improve layout, added link to csv wikipedia page. Corrected links to show URLs where missing.
    nyplaya610 and urShadow like this.
    01-13-16 06:40 AM
    Good stuff man, Ill may be doing this later...
    01-13-16 09:33 AM
    You're very welcome, and just trying to "give back" for the help I've had here myself. If you do try it, let us know how you got on.

Regards

James
    01-13-16 09:58 AM
    Awesome, thank you very much for documenting this!
    01-15-16 08:59 AM
    Hi, and no problem. Let us know if it works for you too.

Theoretically, this method should work for any two programs where they both use CSV files for export and import. It's not a new idea or anything , but I couldn't see anyone had tried it for BlackBerry Password Keeper.

Regards

James

Posted via CB10
    01-17-16 02:34 AM
    Couple of other notes after performing this import:

1. File should be Unix-compliant and have UTF-8 encoding. For example, Notepad++ shows this information in status bar.
    If you use stub-file exported from BB PassKeeper, this shouldn't be a problem, but just in case.
    2. Your passwords should NOT have quotation marks, as Keeper file fields are wrapped in quotation marks by default, and this would break the syntax of file. I faced this problem with one of my entries.
    3. You can use this Excel formula for GUID generation, and not changing uuid numbers manually.
    Just paste it into single cell and drag onto as many cells, as you want. It will fill the cells with unique uuid values.
    Code:
    =LOWER(CONCATENATE(DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,4294967295),8),"-",DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,42949),4),DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,42949),4),DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,42949),4),DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,4294967295),8),DEC2HEX(RANDBETWEEN(0,42949),4)))
    Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Importing passwords from another application into Blackberry Password Keeper-sketch.png  
    01-13-18 02:33 PM