Does anyone know how to set the Z10 to save emails for more than 30 days for an email account that is already set up? If I go to the "Edit Account" page I don't have the option.

I would rather not have to delete and re-add all my accounts if possible.

Thanks,
    05-15-13 07:57 PM
    I can do that for my outlook.com email under advanced setting, I get the option to sync Timeframe 7, 14, 30 days, Forever.
    but I can't find the same advanced setting on my gmail accounts.
    05-15-13 08:37 PM
    I can do that for my outlook.com email under advanced setting, I get the option to sync Timeframe 7, 14, 30 days, Forever.
    but I can't find the same advanced setting on my gmail accounts.
    I'm pretty sure you have to delete the account and readd it. Sucks, I know.
    05-15-13 08:44 PM
    Does anyone know how to set the Z10 to save emails for more than 30 days for an email account that is already set up? If I go to the "Edit Account" page I don't have the option.

Thanks,
    I ran my BB down today (batter life could be better) so I can't tell you the exact screen, but there is an Advanced screen or something like that where you can go change it after the fact. I am on 10.1 but I am pretty sure I saw it under 10.0, I just remember it wasn't obvious so keep looking.
    05-15-13 09:09 PM
    You definitely can't change the sync period after an IMAP account has been set up. You have to delete it and re-add it. The advanced option to increase sync to 90 days is only available then.
    05-15-13 09:29 PM

Thanks,
    To change the number of days for an ActiveSync account, as I can't vouch for any other account type out there because I don't use them, do the following:
    1. Select Settings.
    2. Accounts.
    3. The account you want to modify.
    4. Scroll to the bottom and select Advanced.
      How to get 90 day email in 10.1?-img_00000013.jpg
    5. Change the Sync Timeframe to the value you want. In your case since you want 90 days your choices are either to accept the lesser 30 or go for the overboard Forever.
      How to get 90 day email in 10.1?-img_00000014.jpg

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by HotFix; 05-16-13 at 12:10 PM.
    whattadoc likes this.
    05-16-13 06:53 AM
    To change the number of days for an ActiveSync account, as I can't vouch for any other account type out there because I don't use them, do the following:
    1. Select Settings.
    2. Accounts.
    3. The account you want to modify.
    4. Scroll to the bottom and select Advanced.
    5. Change the Sync Timeframe to the value you want. In your case since you want 90 days your choices are either to accept the lesser 30 or go for the overboard Forever.

I hope this helps.

There has never been a "Sync Timeframe" setting for IMAP accounts in Blackberry 10.

Neither has there been a "90 days" retention option for Exchange ActiveSync. It was 30 days max up until 10.1, where a "forever" retention (sync timeframe) option was added.

Retention for IMAP accounts in 10.1 increased from a maximum of 30 days to 90 days.

The pertinent IMAP account setup option is called "Initial Retrieval Amount". It is only available when initially configuring an account, after initial setup the option disappears from the settings dialog.
    Attached Thumbnails How to get 90 day email in 10.1?-imap_setup_retrieval_settings_z10.jpg  
    05-25-13 04:46 AM
    Even with the "Forever" sync timeframe, my outlook.com calendar is only sync for 90 days in the past.

Can someone else confirm?
    05-25-13 09:01 PM
    Even with the "Forever" sync timeframe, my outlook.com calendar is only sync for 90 days in the past.

Can someone else confirm?

Keep in mind that the administrators of an Exchange system can limit such things on the server side as well.
    05-25-13 10:56 PM
    Thanks Omni, but i'm referring to my personal device.
    05-25-13 11:44 PM
    Yeah, no 90 day sync. It's 30 or forever no in between sadly. Personally I think 6 months would work perfectly

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:21 AM
    This is great. Much better now that I can file emails forever now. Thanks for all the info in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 01:41 AM

Thanks,

I am using Gmail and you have that option during first setting ONLY - so, you will have to re-add your mail account.
    Where you have option to change sync time, just below it, is that option.
    05-26-13 02:48 AM
    Thanks Omni, but i'm referring to my personal device.

I know you're referring to your personal device. But correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think you operate the email/calendar server yourself.

That was what I was talking about. Whoever administers the server that you are connecting-to can limit ANYONE's maximum sync period to whatever limit they feel like.

In such a scenario, it wouldn't matter if you set your sync timeframe to "eternity", if they have it limited to 7 days maximum on the server side, the longest history you will get is 7 days.

Same applies to email syncing.

Many system administrators and service providers will not enable such "forever" options on the server side because they often cause huge loads on their system.
    05-26-13 09:41 AM
    I am using Gmail and you have that option during first setting ONLY - so, you will have to re-add your mail account.
    Where you have option to change sync time, just below it, is that option.

This is true for IMAP email connections only.

Connections using EAS (Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync) can go in and change the "Sync Timeframe" setting at any time. IMAP connections on a Blackberry 10 device only have a setting for "Initial Retrieval Amount" at the time of initial account setup.
    05-26-13 09:43 AM
    Forever feature is useless, I tried it, and my phone went haywire. I have a very large inbox, dating back to 2009. The reason I wanted this feature is because search does not work. It works on all my other devices. This us a huge disappointment

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:03 AM
    Forever feature is useless, I tried it, and my phone went haywire. I have a very large inbox, dating back to 2009. The reason I wanted this feature is because search does not work. It works on all my other devices. This us a huge disappointment

Honestly, that's no surprise. The feature works, but like so many "forever" things, people tend to expect more than the technology is capable of.

If you've got 40,000 messages in your inbox, it's going to fail.

Blackberry should probably have published a document about that though. But I can see them feeling like it's a lose/lose scenario for them: if they don't offer a "forever" option, customers gripe. If they do offer a "forever" option and advise customers to be careful about potential pitfalls (just like any other platform would have under the same circumstances), customers would gripe that they were "backtracking" or something.
    05-26-13 10:29 AM
    Honestly, that's no surprise. The feature works, but like so many "forever" things, people tend to expect more than the technology is capable of.
    Hey Omni. The thing BlackBerry are pitching as the #1 communication platform so we need to help them get an optimal solution.

How about a Lotus Notes style configuration? A default of 90 is preferable, 6 months and 1 year optional. Anything more than option is visible but greyed out, showing contact name, subject and date. Selecting greyed out email initiates retrieval process, where selected email is downloaded into a special "retrieved" folder, irrespective of original folder (inbox, sent).

Also an option to store "rolling off" emails into a special folder on the SDcard so that retrieval can take place offline within the Z10 as a retrieval option. This would be useful when travelling and no wifi or 4G access.

Anyone else got some ideas here?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 11:44 AM
    How about a Lotus Notes style configuration? A default of 90 is preferable, 6 months and 1 year optional. Anything more than option is visible but greyed out, showing contact name, subject and date. Selecting greyed out email initiates retrieval process, where selected email is downloaded into a special "retrieved" folder, irrespective of original folder (inbox, sent).

Also an option to store "rolling off" emails into a special folder on the SDcard so that retrieval can take place offline within the Z10 as a retrieval option. This would be useful when travelling and no wifi or 4G access.

There are many options. But all that would have been needed IMHO is a document informing users of what to be careful-of when using that "forever" option.

Even on the MS Exchange server itself, as I recall, this "forever" option is NOT THE DEFAULT setting, and you cannot even enable it via the regular GUI management tool, you have to use a command-line command to enable it.

That should give you some idea of why non technically-savvy people often have unrealistic expectations of anything like "forever" or "unlimited" when it pertains to technology.

I have been told categorically by MS Exchange hosting companies that anything over 5,000 messages in a folder is going to cause problems. I can respect that, as I am sure they have their reasons for that and it gives me a concrete figure to work with.

But in the consumer realm, sales and marketing twits are always pushing for "headline features" like "forever" and "unlimited" things because they love the way that sounds in a sales pitch. The technical people who are charged with implementing those things are often the last ones with a vote when it comes to that, so they just do their best, while the documentation people downplay the pitfalls because they don't want to tick-off the sales/marketing crew...
    05-26-13 11:58 AM
    I would like to know how someone thinks they can manage a folder full of 40,000 items on a smartphone like the Z10/Q10. One would have to be some kind of masochist..
    05-26-13 12:00 PM
    I would like to know how someone thinks they can manage a folder full of 40,000 items on a smartphone like the Z10/Q10. One would have to be some kind of masochist..
    Hit the nail on the head there! They think they can manage thousands of emails.

There's also the attachment issues where docs, spreaders and presentations take up gigabytes.

Retrieval is a good option as it will keep the inbox size down whilst giving the historic view. Often have to do this at work in the UK and have to wait for Canadian servers to process request, post lunch Toronto time (5pm UK ie hometime!). It works well though, still feel in control of inbox etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 12:39 PM
    If the forever doesn't work, than get the Damn search working...

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 04:16 PM
    My understanding is that forever setting starts from when you setup the account on the phone, it will keep the emails forever from that point on?

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    05-26-13 05:28 PM
    If the forever doesn't work, than get the Damn search working...

It does work, many people use it.

How many messages do you have in your inbox?

Search works too, but that depends on the server side as well. (I have heard some people mention that some recent 10.1 builds have some issues with remote search. If so, they will probably address that shortly.)
    05-26-13 06:41 PM
    My understanding is that forever setting starts from when you setup the account on the phone, it will keep the emails forever from that point on

Not true with Exchange ActiveSync connections. And Blackberry 10 doesn't support "forever" on IMAP connections yet anyway. What I don't know about is whether you will get 90 days from the time of upgrading a device from 10.0.x.x to 10.1.x.x on an existing IMAP account on BB10. My impression (2nd-hand, I don't have 10.1 yet) is that it does not. You would have to re-setup the account and select 90 days as the "Initial Retrieval Amount".

But as I have repeatedly pointed-out, things are not simple. Some servers are configured not to allow "forever" on a syncing device anyway. And many servers will kick a device off if they are loading it down too much, and trying to sync 40,000 messages in a folder is a good example of that.
    05-26-13 06:45 PM
33 12