My passport only offers 3g and 4g options together so I can't force it to use only 4g. Is there a way to force 4g only?

I live in place where it always picks 3g signal because it's stronger. In my old Lumia I had a option to force 4g (through codes input in dialpad) and although it only gave few bars, it was still faster.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 04:12 PM
    My passport only offers 3g and 4g options together so I can't force it to use only 4g. Is there a way to force 4g only?

I live in place where it always picks 3g signal because it's stronger. In my old Lumia I had a option to force 4g (through codes input in dialpad) and although it only gave few bars, it was still faster.

Posted via CB10
    no, if 4G is available, it will pick 4G.

also, 3G is needed for voice calls.

basically it works something like this: if 4G is available - it will pick up 4G. as long weakest signal is sufficient. if 4G is unavailable, 3G goes next (HSPDA). then goes regular 3G, then edge (2G), then gsm
    11-15-15 04:24 PM
    Thanks for quick response.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 04:28 PM

basically it works something like this: if 4G is available - it will pick up 4G. as long weakest signal is sufficient. if 4G is unavailable, 3G goes next (HSPDA). then goes regular 3G, then edge (2G), then gsm
    Voice calls work fine on 4G for me, at least here in The Netherlands. But only on KPN or KPN compatible networks, T-Mobile and the others use 2G for voice calls all the time. KPN also advertises with 4G calling here in my city.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 01:17 AM
    I think 4g cannot handle voice and is for data only. It uses 3G/2G to make cals

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 01:30 AM

What happen after we finished a voice call? Is there a way to make it revert to 4G, even though 4G signal weak?

11-16-15 04:31 AM
    What happen after we finished a voice call? Is there a way to make it revert to 4G, even though 4G signal weak?

well, if signal is sufficient, it will turn 4G on again.

we talk about 4G LTE, right?
    11-16-15 05:39 AM
    Most of the time, after I finished a phone call it stuck in 2G or 3G. I have to manually set it to 2G first (if it stuck in 3G), then change it to 4G & 3G, to make my Z30 use 4G again.
    Yes, we're talking about 4G LTE.

11-16-15 05:28 PM
    I think 4g cannot handle voice and is for data only. It uses 3G/2G to make cals

Posted via CB10
    Maybe in the USA, but here in The Netherlands KPN and companies using the KPN network do use 4G for voice. They advertise with it and as one with a contract with them who observed the used frequencies during calls, I experienced it myself as well.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 01:04 AM
    Maybe in the USA, but here in The Netherlands KPN and companies using the KPN network do use 4G for voice. They advertise with it and as one with a contract with them who observed the used frequencies during calls, I experienced it myself as well.

Posted via CB10
    4G Networks - facts and fiction | Geek Squad
    4G Voice Calls To Rely on 3G Networks ?

it's called VoLTE
    11-17-15 08:25 AM