What if Google ever decide not to build it anymore? They've abandoned plenty projects before. The whole thing is just too much in Google's power.
    True, however we're not playing the what if game. Has google ever pulled the plug on a successful project?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    10-31-12 06:39 AM
    How is it evolving. I know they keep having updates but how big are they? Are they really ahead of anyone?
    IMO yes. Have you used any android devices running jelly bean? Many feel like they are ahead of everyone at this point.

10-31-12 06:45 AM
    True, however we're not playing the what if game. Has google ever pulled the plug on a successful project?

Aaaa, but how succesful is it? Last time I heard Google made more money out of iPhones.
    10-31-12 07:02 AM
    You must be joking Blackberry Bridge is amazing I am a college student and I use the mouse and keyboard feature on my phone to type on the keyboard all the time. Maybe chat on facebook, text and even email without the teacher even seeing my hands. The playbook has a presentation mode allowing you to show your presentation on screen using micro hdmi while still being able to explore your playbook without interrupting the presentation. Now imagine that with a Blackberry phone being used as your presentations remote control and using the cursor to point stuff out on screen without needing laser pointer. I type up my notes on my playbook screen using the playbooks docs to go but using my phones keyboard then when I am done I save to both devices.
    sirfly2fly likes this.
    10-31-12 07:24 AM
    Aaaa, but how succesful is it? Last time I heard Google made more money out of iPhones.
    That's true, but at the rate the mobile space is growing I'm pretty sure that will change (especially since Apple is freeing it self from google.) There are a ton of android devices out there, you factor in web searches on those devices, in pretty sure google is seeing a pretty penny from mobile devices.

10-31-12 07:32 AM
    Looking at the build liveblog and microsoft has gotten alot of big developer push on windows 8 and windows phone. Windows 8 has more tablet applications than android.

Also windows 8 has sold 4 million upgrades so far which is really good for adoption on older machines.

I think Blackberry really needs its own cloud storage system.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    We don't know what they're doing with newbay yet, but we do see box is integrated into the OS and hopefully dropbox and skydrive. I think thats actually great for people that already have their 3rd party cloud storages no need to go to your app its already apart of the share framework
    10-31-12 08:05 AM
    This might make things more interesting in the very near future:

Microsoft sued over Windows Live Tiles | Microsoft - CNET News

According to the Surfcast:

"Tiles can be thought of as dynamically updating icons. A Tile is different from an icon because it can be both selectable and live -- containing refreshed content that provides a real-time or near-real-time view of the underlying information.
    Tiles can provide dynamic bookmarking -- an at-a-glance view of the current status of the program, file, or content associated with it.
    Tiles enable people to have all their content, applications, and resources, regardless of whether on their mobile device, tablet, computer, or in their Cloud -- visualized persistently -- dynamically updating."
    10-31-12 09:21 AM

"Tiles can be thought of as dynamically updating icons. A Tile is different from an icon because it can be both selectable and live -- containing refreshed content that provides a real-time or near-real-time view of the underlying information.
    Tiles can provide dynamic bookmarking -- an at-a-glance view of the current status of the program, file, or content associated with it.
    Tiles enable people to have all their content, applications, and resources, regardless of whether on their mobile device, tablet, computer, or in their Cloud -- visualized persistently -- dynamically updating."
    Oops, that didn't take long.
    10-31-12 09:26 AM

Will we soon see RIM named also?
    10-31-12 09:46 AM
    I'm hoping and praying that BB10 comes to fruition, but if not then WP8 will be my other choice at this point. I see both using similar terms like integrated, simple and personal to describe their OSes. I think WP8 looks a little too busy though, in comparison to BB10. I think as one other poster stated that what RIM has already demoed might be picked up and implemented on other platforms, for example, the way that BB10 unlocks the lock screen has been modded by android already. I am waiting patiently as I can for BB10 and whatever goodies that RIM has to reveal, I hope that whatever they reveal makes me feel like those homeowners who turn their homes over to decorators to come back and see what they've done to their rooms/homes and cry because it's just beautiful and beyond their imaginations.
    10-31-12 10:53 AM
    IMO yes. Have you used any android devices running jelly bean? Many feel like they are ahead of everyone at this point.

I don't disagree that jelly bean is a great update to the Android OS however, until android solves the problem of slow updates it is always going to diminish the platform. It takes months (sometimes a year+) to get updates. There are still users that have never even tried ice cream sandwich. IMO that is the biggest failing and risk of Android
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    10-31-12 11:31 AM
    I don't disagree that jelly bean is a great update to the Android OS however, until android solves the problem of slow updates it is always going to diminish the platform. It takes months (sometimes a year+) to get updates. There are still users that have never even tried ice cream sandwich. IMO that is the biggest failing and risk of Android
    Agreed: this is a problem. Maybe an expansion of true nexus devices would help.
    10-31-12 01:19 PM
    Agreed: this is a problem. Maybe an expansion of true nexus devices would help.
    I don't think so. Nexus devices still lag behind most OEM's phone specs, and lack removable batteries and expandable memory. Also OEMs like Samsung market their skins and add-ons like crazy (S voice, Smart stay etc) so until Google can offer a truly competing product the Nexus devices as good as they are,will likely appeal only to developers and tech savy android lovers and not the average consumer. It is strange how Google and the OEMs don't seem to want the advantage that pushing out fast updates would get them.
    10-31-12 02:56 PM
    I don't think so. Nexus devices still lag behind most OEM's phone specs, and lack removable batteries and expandable memory. Also OEMs like Samsung market their skins and add-ons like crazy (S voice, Smart stay etc) so until Google can offer a truly competing product the Nexus devices as good as they are,will likely appeal only to developers and tech savy android lovers and not the average consumer. It is strange how Google and the OEMs don't seem to want the advantage that pushing out fast updates would get them.
    The Nexus 4 has cream of the crop specs. Quad core Snapdragon, 2GB ram, and 320dpi resolution all for $330 OFF contract make the phone a beast imo. You DON'T need to be tech savy to operate a Nexus device, as even the noobiest of noobs can root and flash on it. As for OEM skins..the only one that seems to be successful right now is Samsung's..and even their features can be ported over to a Nexus device. Blame the carriers for not pushing updates quick enough..as they are the ones who have to install their bloatware on it before releasing it to the public. That problem even exists on BB's..which is why "leaks" are so popular.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-31-12 03:14 PM
    The Nexus 4 has cream of the crop specs. Quad core Snapdragon, 2GB ram, and 320dpi resolution all for $330 OFF contract make the phone a beast imo. You DON'T need to be tech savy to operate a Nexus device, as even the noobiest of noobs can root and flash on it. As for OEM skins..the only one that seems to be successful right now is Samsung's..and even their features can be ported over to a Nexus device. Blame the carriers for not pushing updates quick enough..as they are the ones who have to install their bloatware
    on it before releasing it to the public. That problem even exists on BB's..which is why "leaks" are so popular.
    Agree that the specs for the Nexus 4 are impressive however no expandable memory or removable battery is an issue in my opinion. Look at HTC who continues to refuse to provide that. They are struggling. I also agree flashing and rooting is easy however the majority of phone buyers do not root and flash their phones so to many what comes stock from the OEM is all they will have. I choose not to get the middle of who's fault slow updates are (carriers vs OEMs) it needs to resolved by the OEMs in my opinion.
    10-31-12 03:56 PM
    HTC issues really aren't due tonot having a removable battery or and SD card slot. If that were the case apple would be struggling and many other android oems would be doing well.

10-31-12 03:59 PM
    OK I am on the fence between the Lumia 920 or wait for the BB10. I hope someone here can help me or at least give me some advise. I really like the eco system on Apple, Android, and now Windows phone. By that I mean, entering data on one device and it goes to all of your other devices in the same system family. Now, I think that BB10 looks to be the best for my business needs but what kind of eco system does it have? I use GMail for contacts and calendar and I need it to work flawlessly like it does for me on Android and on my MS Surface and possible Lumia 920. I really need this type of ecosystem for my business and this will determine which system I make a final decision about. I use Mac computers and Android Tablets along with a new Surface. Please give me some insite to the BB ecosystem.
    10-31-12 04:43 PM
    One thing that really bothers me about WP8 is that I cannot input the name Delta Airlines in the contact manager and then do a search on that company name. YOU have to have all contacts with a name to search on. What if I need to find Delta Airlines and dont know anyone there, I just need the phone and address of that company. I should be able to search by customer name, company name, phone number etc. This is basic in my opinion. I started to jump on the Lumia 920 to go with my new Surfact Tablet but am having second thoughts because of the searches that I make daily thru my 2000 customer and company names.
    10-31-12 04:49 PM
    With all of these nice improvements, you still cannot search your phone list by Company Name! That is so important to me that I am almost not sure that I can go with a system that doesn't allow something so basic. I cannot search for a company name to try to find a person that works at that company without knowing their exact name. At least with BB, Android, or Apple you can search for a Company name. With 2000 companies and contacts that I call on, this kind of search becomes critical. When I pull into the parking lot of a Company and can't remember a persons name, I am sunk if I cannot look up the Company name and find the customers name in the notes section.
    10-31-12 04:56 PM
    Google's only responsibilities are to maintain the OS and provide consumers a means to use it as they intended it. They neither have nor want control over the OEMs (at least not beyond the requirements to get access to Google Apps). Manufacturers use Android create their own devices and have the option to use Google Play as the core of their ecosystem, but updates are between themselves and the carriers. Google can make OS updates easier to port to OEM devices (as they have with the PDK), but that's about it.
    10-31-12 07:59 PM
    3. Perhaps its only your kids that play the Xbox 360 in your house...but I can assure you, millions of 360 gamers are old enough to go out and buy a new phone that plays nice with their 360. Gaming isn't just for kids....
    And smartphones aren't just for gamers.
    10-31-12 08:19 PM
    Google's only responsibilities are to maintain the OS and provide consumers a means to use it as they intended it. They neither have nor want control over the OEMs (at least not beyond the requirements to get access to Google Apps). Manufacturers use Android create their own devices and have the option to use Google Play as the core of their ecosystem, but updates are between themselves and the carriers. Google can make OS updates easier to port to OEM devices (as they have with the PDK), but that's about it.
    Totally agree with all of that but when someone buys a non-Nexus phone from Samsung, or HTC etc. they believe they are buying an Android phone (when in reality it is an Android based phone) so when it takes 8 or 9+ months to get the latest and greatest I think the OS gets a bad name and has an impact on google and the other OEMs, right or wrong Android is a brand name that stands on it's own apart from the OEMs brand.
    10-31-12 08:22 PM
    HTC issues really aren't due tonot having a removable battery or and SD card slot. If that were the case apple would be struggling and many other android oems would be doing well.

I wasn't suggesting that only cause of their troubles was the lack of removable battery and lack of expandable memory. My point was that their flagship phone One X failed against the GS3 which are otherwise very comparable devices. In the crowded Android market place you have to add not take away features or else you get your a** kicked. I can't explain Apple though so you have me there as a former user of an iPhone one of the biggest issues I had was battery life.

EDIT: I really hope BB10 has expandable memory and removable battery LOL!!
    10-31-12 08:34 PM
    I wasn't suggesting that only cause of their troubles was the lack of removable battery and lack of expandable memory. My point was that their flagship phone One X failed against the GS3 which are otherwise very comparable devices. In the crowded Android market place you have to add not take away features or else you get your kicked. I can't explain Apple though so you have me there as a former user of an iPhone one of the biggest issues I had was battery life.
    Samsung has a massive advertising campaign.
    10-31-12 08:38 PM
    Samsung has a massive advertising campaign.
    Then all the more reason to match features if you're going up against bigger marketing budget than yours. If RIM doesn't offer a compelling product that completes feature to feature with Android and Apple no amount of advertising dollars are going to help. But I know that point has been talked to death on CB so don't want to resurrect that discussion.
    10-31-12 08:55 PM
110 ... 2345