So im watching the live feed at the WP8 event, and i thought it would be nice to get some feedback from CB users about some of the new features they've introduced and how (if) they effect bb10.

They've done some interesting things with the lock screen, although it seems like there would "be an app for that". Similarly with "Kids corner" It pretty much seems like Blackberry Balance but for kids rather then business.

So what do you all think? what features do you like, what seems similar to bb10 features we've seen, and what do you want to see on bb10?

Edit: Talking about the people hub now and their new "Rooms" feature. It seems alot like BBM groups, but you can invite people from other platforms to these rooms, which seems pretty sweet.

Windows Phone Newsroom: Live Webcast
    dynot likes this.
    10-29-12 12:42 PM
    Actually I was a little bit disappointed. If BB10 doesn't appeal to me, I was going to give WP8 a serious look. But I thought there would be a lot more new features.
    It looks more like wp 7.X instead of wp8.
    The lock screen is a nice gimmick, but nothing I really need (accept news on my lock screen would be something I would like), kids corner is pretty useless to me now (no kids on the horizon ).
    The rooms feature is pretty neat, but not something I really need.
    10-29-12 01:49 PM
    IMO!

I think BB10 is still in great standing, their features didn't impress me much. No improvement to their keyboard like BB10 that no other current OS has, Browser doesn't have as much functionality as BB10 browser, 46/50 were looking for a top 100, cinnamon toasts a great feature pick up phone reveals message an hides it when it goes back down. No OS or app has "team view", we have balance. Their cloud acts like icloud it just saves whats on your phone on to your other devices. Surface and WP8 doesn't act like BB and PB:use phone as mouse, "Open on", text/bbm from PB, share internet connection no extra cost, save a file downloaded on your PB straight to your phone.

These are all things we know from BBJAM America and leaks, as we wait for our official announcement and more features. BB10 will succeed.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    10-29-12 02:07 PM
    IMO!
    Their cloud acts like icloud it just saves whats on your phone on to your other devices. Surface and WP8 doesn't act like BB and PB:use phone as mouse, "Open on", text/bbm from PB, share internet connection no extra cost, save a file downloaded on your PB straight to your phone.
    I actually would love a feature on my BB that saves documents so they are directly accesible on my pc and visa versa. I type a lot (storys and stuff) on my blackberry an now I use dropbox, but that could be better.
    On the other hand I don't think I would type as much on a WP because of the lack of great keyboard.
    10-29-12 02:18 PM
    I like the kids corner feature. I think it's very useful. Overall I think Windows 8 is a pretty solid system . I'm looking forward to getting my hands of BB10. With all these other devices being launched it's making my antsy.
    HabsSuck likes this.
    10-29-12 02:18 PM
    It definitely seemed like a pretty solid operating system, but it will be interesting to see how it sells in the market. I've been a fan of WP but I still don't see how it would convince ppl to switch from android or ios. The thing that might be a huge selling point however, is the integration with windows 8 and xbox.

I just think that their phones have to sell like crazy to even surpass or gain a lead by the time BB10 is released. Like Kevin said, they have had 18 months to surpass us and as of now we still double their market share with virtually no advertising.
    sf49ers likes this.
    10-29-12 03:06 PM
    That's true, but it's kind of like how Symbian was still the most popular smartphone platform for a while after it was clear that Apple and Google were driving the market.

As always, the most important differentiator between WP8 and BB10 is that Microsoft has essentially unlimited money to throw at WP8.
    richardat likes this.
    10-29-12 03:26 PM
    IMO!

I think BB10 is still in great standing, their features didn't impress me much. No improvement to their keyboard like BB10 that no other current OS has, Browser doesn't have as much functionality as BB10 browser, 46/50 were looking for a top 100, cinnamon toasts a great feature pick up phone reveals message an hides it when it goes back down. No OS or app has "team view", we have balance. Their cloud acts like icloud it just saves whats on your phone on to your other devices. Surface and WP8 doesn't act like BB and PB:use phone as mouse, "Open on", text/bbm from PB, share internet connection no extra cost, save a file downloaded on your PB straight to your phone.

These are all things we know from BBJAM America and leaks, as we wait for our official announcement and more features. BB10 will succeed.
    Lol!
    So basically you list all the unique things BB10 has that WP8 doesn't have and thus it is 'disappointing'?

Out of the gate, WP8 comes out with a much stronger ecosystem than BB10, thanks to deep integration with Windows 8/RT. There's much more potential for 3rd party app development with the ease of porting from Windows 8 thanks to the shared NT kernel. Offline mapping solutions on WP8 exist built-in...it isn't yet clear how this will work on BB10.

More people will use Xbox Smartglass on their Xbox 360 than people will use Bridge between Playbook and BB. Should we consider the lack of a BB10 Smartglass app a serious demerit to the BB10 platform too?

WP8 and BB10 are shaping up to be both solid OSes. I recognize you have a right to your own opinion, just chipping in with this just so no-one gets the idea that an OS is bad because it doesn't ape all the unique features in BB10.
    dynot, Roo Zilla and tabish4u like this.
    10-29-12 03:37 PM
    WP8 and BB10 are shaping up to be both solid OSes. I recognize you have a right to your own opinion, just chipping in with this just so no-one gets the idea that an OS is bad because it doesn't ape all the unique features in BB10.
    I actually don't see any clear advantage between them at the moment, in terms of features, certainly no killer-features, which will sell big. Of course one clear advantage is that MS is getting their system out the door! In terms of the future....yes....money. MS can afford to fail....can afford to fail for a long time (although, failure will mean an increasingly doomed future, someday down the road). I am convinced win 8, wp, and surface will fail, (though win 8, like Vista, will be called a "win" for MS, when they tout preinstalled PC numbers) but they can afford it, and come back for more. RIM cannot.

If RIM gets BB10 out the door in a stable, bug-free form, then the battle is on! In some ways the battle will be between industry legacy and money: MS and RIM will each try to leverage these.
    maraki1224 likes this.
    10-29-12 03:48 PM
    I feel the features that I have seen are good for what they are. I really like the music on all devices so that you have your playlist wherever you are without having to sinc. The lock screen is pretty cool but the home screen, for me, is FAR to busy. I like clean lines, crisp features and limits to what is being thrown at me. Now I'm sure there is a way to limit the number of tyles and make them all big in linear, as they say it's designed to be personalized, but what I saw was just too much.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-29-12 04:05 PM
    I didn't see any features or enhancements announced that would increase the uptake of WP8 over WP7. We'll see what happens though with the marketing. The December release is not going to help them with the holiday sales either as I think most people will have iPhone5, iPad4, and iPad mini on the brains for Black Friday sales.
    10-29-12 04:14 PM
    I didn't see any features or enhancements announced that would increase the uptake of WP8 over WP7. We'll see what happens though with the marketing. The December release is not going to help them with the holiday sales either as I think most people will have iPhone5, iPad4, and iPad mini on the brains for Black Friday sales.
    1. To the post about the surface failing, isn't it along with the amount of upgrades to win 8 from older hardware reported to be doing well. The surface is backordered online and there were lines of people at various microsoft stores waiting to get one. (something that wasn't expected outside of the nyc store).

2. Dude Windows Phone 8 launches November 14th.

3) The xbox and office parts of the ecosystem have no compettion on bb10. As well as we dont even know if rim will have a skydrive like cloud service.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2
    10-29-12 04:24 PM
    Lol!
    So basically you list all the unique things BB10 has that WP8 doesn't have and thus it is 'disappointing'?

Out of the gate, WP8 comes out with a much stronger ecosystem than BB10, thanks to deep integration with Windows 8/RT. There's much more potential for 3rd party app development with the ease of porting from Windows 8 thanks to the shared NT kernel. Offline mapping solutions on WP8 exist built-in...it isn't yet clear how this will work on BB10.

More people will use Xbox Smartglass on their Xbox 360 than people will use Bridge between Playbook and BB. Should we consider the lack of a BB10 Smartglass app a serious demerit to the BB10 platform too?

thats kinda what i was trying to get at bring unique features to give a reason for switch, like app exclusivity does
    10-29-12 04:25 PM
    1. To the post about the surface failing, isn't it along with the amount of upgrades to win 8 from older hardware reported to be doing well. The surface is backordered online and there were lines of people at various microsoft stores waiting to get one. (something that wasn't expected outside of the nyc store).

2. Dude Windows Phone 8 launches November 14th.

3) The xbox and office parts of the ecosystem have no compettion on bb10. As well as we dont even know if rim will have a skydrive like cloud service.

1. How many devices did they do for the initial run? Were they conservative, or did they make a lot. I don't know the answer, but you can make any device sell out if you initially make a low number. If I heard numbers of sales that would be quantitative, but "sold out" could mean anything from great to "wow people actually wanted more than we thought".

2. Samsung's won't be out till December. 8X "By Thanksgiving". Lumia 920 will probably be first and on one carrier. Also Apple has people's mindshare going into holidays.

3. Will xBox integration be huge selling points for anyone? My kids might think it is cool, but they get what phone I get them, and xBox integration is so low on the list of priorities for what a phone for my kids needs to do. Do we know that Microsoft won't support BB10 with Office or Skype at some point? I'll wait to see before saying yes or no.

I gave my opinion, yours is different, chill out! Time will tell how well WP8 and Windows RT will do.
    10-29-12 04:49 PM
    Depends where you are - in Europe, WP8 devices are out this week.
    10-29-12 04:54 PM
    1. How many devices did they do for the initial run? Were they conservative, or did they make a lot. I don't know the answer, but you can make any device sell out if you initially make a low number. If I heard numbers of sales that would be quantitative, but "sold out" could mean anything from great to "wow people actually wanted more than we thought".

2. Samsung's won't be out till December. 8X "By Thanksgiving". Lumia 920 will probably be first and on one carrier. Also Apple has people's mindshare going into holidays.

3. Will xBox integration be huge selling points for anyone? My kids might think it is cool, but they get what phone I get them, and xBox integration is so low on the list of priorities for what a phone for my kids needs to do. Do we know that Microsoft won't support BB10 with Office or Skype at some point? I'll wait to see before saying yes or no.

I gave my opinion, yours is different, chill out! Time will tell how well WP8 and Windows RT will do.

1. Please STOP with this 'I wonder how many devices they made' line. Surface store locations are seeing STRONG interest...and this has been reported widely in tech media. Online purchases seem very steady and customers seem very satisfied. Interviews with the people in line for the Surface at the Times Square venue showed that most folks there knew just what they were getting, and the included Office software was a key selling point.

2. The 8X and 8S will start going on sale from this weekend. They've already been reviewed. In little over a week, the Lumia 920 will arrive.

3. Perhaps its only your kids that play the Xbox 360 in your house...but I can assure you, millions of 360 gamers are old enough to go out and buy a new phone that plays nice with their 360. Gaming isn't just for kids....
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-29-12 05:02 PM
    I think the gaming aspect really does set them apart, from everyone, not just Rim. But again, it comes back to the target audience. I (like most of you im assuming) am a professional, and while im a kid at heart and love to play video games, i dont own an xbox (or ps3 for that matter). I simply dont have the time to really be a serious gamer.

Im sure there's a lot of serious gamers out there (of all ages) who would really love a phone thats integrated with their gaming console, but i think that number is much smaller than the "people who do". That is to say, people who have full time jobs, work/family commitments, busy lives that dont afford a lot of time for gaming. For that segment of the population, the xbox integration holds little appeal.

The point im trying to make i guess is that, while wp8 seems to offer some unique features, the market appeal for those features individually is smaller. So it remains to be seen how many sales they will generate, as part of the over all sales numbers per quarter.
    darkehawke likes this.
    10-29-12 05:17 PM
    Nokia, htc, samsung, wp8 its bound to gain some ground, carrier support is there, they need time to sell and that's it. Bb10 will have a similar situation to deal with, time. Once out I see it moving, these two platforms will hopefully displace the two leaders rather then each other.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    10-29-12 05:19 PM
    i definitely want wp8 to do well, just not at the expense of BB10. I think of the platforms out there, Droid has the least to offer in terms of originality and UX. Atleast ios can claim to be first.
    10-29-12 05:27 PM
    1. Please STOP with this 'I wonder how many devices they made' line. Surface store locations are seeing STRONG interest...and this has been reported widely in tech media. Online purchases seem very steady and customers seem very satisfied. Interviews with the people in line for the Surface at the Times Square venue showed that most folks there knew just what they were getting, and the included Office software was a key selling point.

2. The 8X and 8S will start going on sale from this weekend. They've already been reviewed. In little over a week, the Lumia 920 will arrive.

3. Perhaps its only your kids that play the Xbox 360 in your house...but I can assure you, millions of 360 gamers are old enough to go out and buy a new phone that plays nice with their 360. Gaming isn't just for kids....
    1. I'll wait to hear/see sales numbers on quarterly reports. The media tried to make WP7 look like a success too (shocking since MS has hooks into media outlets), and chearleaded it to death, but we know how that turned out in actual adoption and sales.

2. Not in US. Europe getting first, probably because of weak US sales for WP devices, and some people over there buying anything with the words Nokia on it. My info came straight from the even today and was meant for US.

3. Considering that they plan to make Smartglass apps for iOS and Android too, what is the value add other than being a little cleaner maybe? Also the Xbox has better games and my kids play it more than our PS3, but the PS3 with 1080p and Blue Ray is what's hooked to the main TV for media consumption. Hopefully the 720 addresses the shortcomings the 360 currently has when it comes out and will move the PS3 to the other TV.

I'd like to see both WP8 and Blackberry eat back into both Android and iOS sales, and even if they don't there is room for both, I just don't know that given the fact that WP7 did not do well, that WP8 is going to do well. You Windows chearleaders are awful touchy and vocal considering this is a BlackBerry fan site.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    10-29-12 06:08 PM
    1. I'll wait to hear/see sales numbers on quarterly reports. The media tried to make WP7 look like a success too (shocking since MS has hooks into media outlets), and chearleaded it to death, but we know how that turned out in actual adoption and sales.

2. Not in US. Europe getting first, probably because of weak US sales for WP devices, and some people over there buying anything with the words Nokia on it. My info came straight from the even today and was meant for US.

3. Considering that they plan to make Smartglass apps for iOS and Android too, what is the value add other than being a little cleaner maybe? Also the Xbox has better games and my kids play it more than our PS3, but the PS3 with 1080p and Blue Ray is what's hooked to the main TV for media consumption. Hopefully the 720 addresses the shortcomings the 360 currently has when it comes out and will move the PS3 to the other TV.

I'd like to see both WP8 and Blackberry eat back into both Android and iOS sales, and even if they don't there is room for both, I just don't know that given the fact that WP7 did not do well, that WP8 is going to do well. You Windows chearleaders are awful touchy and vocal considering this is a BlackBerry fan site.
    Even though I mostly stream i do wish the xbox had a blu-ray player. Really want the bond and avengers box sets.

Also I'm pretty sure europe is launching first because of EE having their LTE network which has the 920 and 8X is launching this week as well.

10-29-12 08:06 PM
    Quote"You Windows chearleaders are awful touchy and vocal considering this is a BlackBerry fan site."

That's a telling statement, it's true wp fans have little to no place to go and be passionate about their product. So they come here. Sure they have WPC but I bet it's an echo chamber in there.
    Advantage BlackBerry once BB10 drops
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    10-29-12 08:16 PM
    Wrong post
    10-29-12 08:34 PM
    How excatly will blackberry have an advantge?

10-29-12 08:35 PM
    I think what Microsoft did with Windows 8 was good. To have the OS on the phone not much different to computing on a laptop or tablet was brilliant because Microsoft don't have to worry about creating two totally different platforms for mobile and personal computing. I think Tablets are re inventing itself into laptops but this time we're gonna have more than one operating system. But with BB10 I feel that it will be better for people who like organization than just a weird UI. I never tried windows phone or have I ever seen someone with it. But I think its great in terms of how Mircosoft change itself with the times. But I am rooting for BB10!!!
    10-29-12 08:56 PM
110 123 ...