Quick question
    When I am in the car the line in volume appears. If I am playing by headphones the headphones volume appears.

How does it differentiate the two? The same jack analog plug is used. Or not?...
    How does my phone know it is connected to line in or headphones?-img_20170308_064542.png
    How does my phone know it is connected to line in or headphones?-img_20170308_061855.png

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 10:55 PM
    I think Line-Connections need less voltage than headphones. Headphones in general need more voltage and amplification than line-connections.

I realised that when I connected Headphones to Line-Out on my MiniDisc Walkman.

Posted via CB10
    paulie_iwin likes this.
    03-08-17 12:42 AM
    Most likely it can sense the impedance of the load, and adjust its output accordingly.
    03-08-17 04:02 AM
    Line In is a one way street, Line Out is a two way street? That's my guess. I have no tech knowledge in this aspect. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 05:00 AM
    Ok thank you.

I wondered how BB10 differentiates the two because on my work phone - WP8 it just says Headphones in both cases.

Thanks again.
    03-08-17 05:51 AM
    Well, BB10 is still smarter :P

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 10:55 AM
    Most likely it can sense the impedance of the load, and adjust its output accordingly.
    That would be the correct answer. Modern phones look for a particular impedance range and knows it's a Line Out when it find it. Otherwise, it will assume headphones, which can have a wide range of impedances.
    paulie_iwin likes this.
    03-09-17 02:51 PM
    Ahem... Number of contacts on jack maybe? Headphones usually have four (ground, left and right channels, microphone), line out - three

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 01:35 AM
    Ahem... Number of contacts on jack maybe? Headphones usually have four (ground, left and right channels, microphone), line out - three

Posted via CB10
    Headphones that have a microphone are called headsets.
    03-10-17 07:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well, then we can test with a normal 3.5mm headphones which have three contacts and we'll see if BB10 says if it is line out or headphones. I just tested with a pair of 3.5mm headphones on a Z10 and it detected them as headphones. It is possible that they can use the impedance in order to detect the type of input.
    dangerousfen and paulie_iwin like this.
    03-10-17 08:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    Not all headphones have microphones. My headphones only have 3 contacts on the jack.

Joel
    03-10-17 09:46 AM
    I said maybe I've only tried to connect headset or line out.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 10:05 AM
    I did some further testing. I tested to connect my Z10 to an external amplifier and it does detect correctly to be line-out. However, I got different results whenever the amplifier was on or off while inserting the 3.5mm plug. If amplifier was off the Z10 detect is as headset and if it was on it correctly detected it as line-out. Presumably, having the amplifier on or off affects the impedance. Also, this didn't change if I later turned the amplifier on or off, so the measurement is likely to be done when inserting the plug and after that not trying to measure again.

Well, I'm impressed with both by the HW and SW. BB10 really has a good sound architecture. Compare that to Windows Phone which in the beginning only had one volume setting for everything including the ring signal. How the hell can BB10 be canned when it outclasses other operating systems like this.
    paulie_iwin likes this.
    03-10-17 03:27 PM
    I did some further testing. I tested to connect my Z10 to an external amplifier and it does detect correctly to be line-out. However, I got different results whenever the amplifier was on or off while inserting the 3.5mm plug. If amplifier was off the Z10 detect is as headset and if it was on it correctly detected it as line-out. Presumably, having the amplifier on or off affects the impedance. Also, this didn't change if I later turned the amplifier on or off, so the measurement is likely to be done when inserting the plug and after that not trying to measure again.

Well, I'm impressed with both by the HW and SW. BB10 really has a good sound architecture. Compare that to Windows Phone which in the beginning only had one volume setting for everything including the ring signal. How the hell can BB10 be canned when it outclasses other operating systems like this.
    Because it lost money that BlackBerry could not afford.
    03-10-17 03:56 PM

EXACTLY!!

Q10 (SQN100-3 : 10.3.2.158), Passport (SQW-100 : 10.3.2.2474)
    03-11-17 07:02 AM