In Settings > Accounts I set up contact sync interval for my email account to Manual.

How do I cause contacts to perform a manual sync? I cannot find a button anywhere.

TIA

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 03:20 AM
    the manual sync of contacts invoked when you add/edit/delete a contact from your phonebook app. that will invoke the sync.
    Robin Lim likes this.
    07-09-13 05:44 AM
    I am not sure if I get this right. When I select manual, it will update my online database but it won't be receiving updates from the online database. So, if I make all entries for Calendar and Contacts on the phone, I should select manual sync?

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 07:28 AM
    What if i have another phone sharing my google account and i add the contact there? How do i get my z10 to sync it to its phonebook? I dont see anywhere to invoke a sync without the methods you described above which dont fit my needs in this situation.
    12-29-13 04:27 PM
    Can you advise us on what OS you are running?

Edit: come to think of it your requirements are unique in itself ... somehow I don't see how it can be done.
    Last edited by zocster; 12-29-13 at 05:19 PM.
    12-29-13 04:38 PM
    Hello,

I was about to start a new thread (title would have been "2 reasons why I might leave BB") and I discovered this thread which covers one of the reasons ... Just to clarify things, I live in France and I have been the "proud" owner of a Z10 since may 2013 (software 10.2.0.429, latest available for me).

1/ when using CardDAV contacts (ie address book synced between Z10, OSX and an online provider, be it Gmail, Fruux, Memotoo or self-installed SabreDAV server, I tested all of them excepted Gmail), I am allowed to choose "manual" as a sync interval. But a manual sync button is nowhere to be seen ... (isn't that the most stupid thing ? you can choose "manual" but there is not "sync" or "refresh" button, like for the Calendar ...)

One might ask "why choose manual ?". As far as I am concerned, I have a 4G plan with 20gb of data so I could even choose a 5mn interval with no worry ... but this does not work properly. I had a long discussion with the guy doing Fruux (a Gmail equivalent with paid service for CalDAV and CardDAV), he acknowledges the problem. On BB10 smartphone, if you choose a X mn interval, it works very well ... as long as you have network. If you go hiking for 2 days in a black zone, contacts just disappears from your address book, you then have to re-sync to get your contacts back ... and you are back to square one ... no manual sync button, only solution is for example to change the sync interval from 5mn to 15mn, this will force a re-sync ... so choosing "manual" is a way to not loose contacts when out of reach of the network.

2/ second reason is the lack of a synced "remember" or "todos/tasks" app. BB10 Calendar syncs "events" but not "todos/tasks" and there is no app doing so ...

As far as I am concerned, I don't care for apps, games, etc ... but I need absolutely a properly working smartphone giving me all the mandatory stuff for professionnal use: calls, emails, contacts, events and todos/tasks synced across my devices. I am paying for this (I don't want Gmail/NSA stuff) and I was hoping that BB10 would be the winning outsider, but this does not seem to happen, although I have been really patient and forgiving during those 9 month. Unfortunately, the only device giving you this from scratch is the iPhone. Android still needs (unless it has changed recently) installation of a paying "connector" to do CardDAV and CalDAV (CalDAV-sync and CardDAV-sync on Google Play and it does support tasks). And Windows Phone is supposed to get it (after announcement of Gmail stopping EAS support for syncing) but unfortunately only for Google accounts unless I'm mis-reading announcements ...

I hope the guy from Fruux wont mind me quoting him:
    ========
    we are/I am sorry, but we can only confirm your troubles with the BB10 software and fear that the 'best' solution is to only force a manual sync if you don't have a stable internet connection. Sadly, the only method known to us to do this, is to got to your settings => account, edit a field (e.g. the name) and hit 'save'.
    Believe me, this annoys us at least the same amount as it does you! We hoped for BB10 to be a real competitor in the market but - as of now - they failed
    ========

I find it really disappointing at a time when supposedly everything is connected and synced to find only one platform doing everything properly from scratch. I have been using Macs for almost 30 years and I don't want to depend upon only one platform and that's the reason I did purchase a Z10, BB10 being presented as "the" professionnal tool.

Pierre.
    Last edited by Pierrot99; 12-30-13 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Adding softw. version of Z10
    12-30-13 05:49 AM
    2/ second reason is the lack of a synced "remember" or "todos/tasks" app. BB10 Calendar syncs "events" but not "todos/tasks" and there is no app doing so ...
    This ^^^
    Precisely my frustration at the moment. And boy, is this a big big one. I have been trying to figure out how exactly to deal with my tasks list and I just found out that there is no good solution at all. Remember app basically provides 2 ways to sync:
    - Evernote: supports only notes, no support for tasks/todo which renders this useless for me. Also, the remember interface for Evernote doesn't support tags.
    - Exchange Activesync: outlook.com is the only free interface. No stable clients on Linux,No way to export tasks from within the outlook.com web interface. And besides, I'd rather keep my stuff away from the Microsofts and Googles.
    - This leaves me with just the option to backup regularly using BlackBerry Link. If only that were simple. No option to select just remember data. No option to export data from Link. Sigh.

Really, BlackBerry, no excuses for not supporting task sync over caldav. With what I can see, 10.2.1 doesn't seem to address this either.

Frustrating.
    12-30-13 12:07 PM
    Yep really frustrating and amazingly, BB pretends this to be a professionnal device ! I also had long discussion with Fruux people about the task sync, they are also disapointed about this. :-(
    And the worst about these 2 points is that all the bricks are in place: there is CardDAV, there is CalDAV, there is a contact app, a calendar app, a remember app but all this seems half baked ... again Apple did it and all followers are just trying (Although I am a long time Mac user, I hate being stuck with only one provider but at the end I won't have any other choice but to get back to iOS, I already spent countless hours trying to fix all this on Symbian, now on BB10, on Android for friends ... with the iPhone everything is donne in less than 10mn.).
    12-30-13 01:10 PM
    Speaking of calendar frustrations there no way I can find to sync a shared Gmail calendar with this device. Can you say frustrated?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-14 09:00 PM
    This ^^^
    Precisely my frustration at the moment. And boy, is this a big big one. I have been trying to figure out how exactly to deal with my tasks list and I just found out that there is no good solution at all. Remember app basically provides 2 ways to sync:
    - Evernote: supports only notes, no support for tasks/todo which renders this useless for me. Also, the remember interface for Evernote doesn't support tags.
    - Exchange Activesync: outlook.com is the only free interface. No stable clients on Linux,No way to export tasks from within the outlook.com web interface. And besides, I'd rather keep my stuff away from the Microsofts and Googles.
    - This leaves me with just the option to backup regularly using BlackBerry Link. If only that were simple. No option to select just remember data. No option to export data from Link. Sigh.

Really, BlackBerry, no excuses for not supporting task sync over caldav. With what I can see, 10.2.1 doesn't seem to address this either.

Frustrating.
    Get Fire Chest Backup. But note that there are issues if you are using Evernote with your Remember app as FC Backup doesn't support Evernote entries. This will be sorted out shortly after version 2 releases.
    01-01-14 10:37 PM
    Get Fire Chest Backup. But note that there are issues if you are using Evernote with your Remember app as FC Backup doesn't support Evernote entries. This will be sorted out shortly after version 2 releases.
    Nice. I was thinking I need a way to export remember entries to sd card. Fire chest backup looks promising. A couple of questions:
    - what format are the entries in remember app stored? iCalendar?
    - And if I choose to encrypt files, will I be able to decrypt on desktop with standard Linux tools?
    01-02-14 01:22 PM
    Nice. I was thinking I need a way to export remember entries to sd card. Fire chest backup looks promising. A couple of questions:
    - what format are the entries in remember app stored? iCalendar?
    - And if I choose to encrypt files, will I be able to decrypt on desktop with standard Linux tools?
    - The Remember entries (plus attachments) are stored in a single 'json' file.
    - Was developing a desktop decryption utility for Linux/Mac/Windows but put it on hold to focus on other areas. Will return to finishing towards middle of the year.
    01-02-14 10:19 PM
    Speaking of calendar frustrations there no way I can find to sync a shared Gmail calendar with this device. Can you say frustrated?

Posted via CB10
    It has to be setup as a caldav account

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    01-02-14 10:26 PM
    In Settings > Accounts I set up contact sync interval for my email account to Manual.

How do I cause contacts to perform a manual sync? I cannot find a button anywhere.

TIA

Posted via CB10
    I'm just tossing this out there as an option. When you want to manually sync, can you go in, change the sync interval so it syncs immediately, then change it back to manual?
    01-02-14 10:33 PM
    - Was developing a desktop decryption utility for Linux/Mac/Windows but put it on hold to focus on other areas. Will return to finishing towards middle of the year.
    Ok. Perhaps you could consider enabling use of openssl for decrypting the entries. That should make things easier.
    01-03-14 12:25 AM
    I'm just tossing this out there as an option. When you want to manually sync, can you go in, change the sync interval so it syncs immediately, then change it back to manual?
    Well that's what I was suggesting: any modification in the account parameters will do, either changing name or sync interval ... but in CardDAV, going away from an internet connection will wipe out your contacts until you get connected back, so my advice is to keep it manual.
    And in any case this does not qualify as a way of doing things, I'm sure you agree with me, BB can do better :-)
    01-03-14 03:09 AM
    I agree that BlackBerry needs a manual sync button (regardless of what sync interval you have)
    They also have to fix the issues with them not syncing when they are supposed to & duplications ect.
    The entire contact system on BB10 is a mess This is surprising given email & contacts ect. are so very important to most BlackBerry users.

The problem is that their contacts system is the result of a company they purchased. (forget it's name) The integration has not been as smooth as they hoped & I have heard that they are working on it (though who knows if the rumours are true) Lets hope that 10.3 has some serious changes / improvements.
    01-03-14 11:42 AM
    I have this, but I'd like to see an option to save locally - to an SD card at least. I really don't want to have to get a Dropbox account just for this app (I didn't know it only saved to Dropbox when I bought it, so I've never actually used it).

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 12:13 PM
    This is surprising given email & contacts ect. are so very important to most BlackBerry users.
    And this is the reason why I bought a BB after having been a long time Nokia/Symbian user ... I was very happy when I discovered that BB was having native CalDAV and CardDAV, I thought "at least an iOS alternative" with a real focus on pros (or so I was told) with lots of contacts, emails, tasks and events ... well I don't know if I will be patient enough to wait for an hypothetical improvement on 10.3, these are core functionnality for any pro user and should have been there ever since day 1.
    01-03-14 12:26 PM
    So, if you are out of network, your contacts disappear? How long does it take? I have not seen this happen. But I have never been out of network very long

I thought the only time they disappeared is when you deleted them or the account.

01-03-14 05:39 PM
    Well it's quite hard to say. In fact it depends upon the sync interval. With a very short one (let's say 5mn), they disappear if I am more than 5mn away from a network. Usually I see it because my call list just shows numbers, no names anymore. Then I just go into parameters, choose another sync interval and they come back within a few minutes. This is the reason I'd like to use "manual" so I sync only when I am connected. And therefore, the reason I'd like a manual sync button on contacts.
    Just to be exact, my address book is online. I tested Fruux for 1 year and I am now using Memotoo (both CalDAV providers), I see the same symptoms. To be frank, I'm surprised not to see that many complaints about this, but Fruux founder says they reported the problem to BB (they already had reported it).
    I see you are running 10.2.1.1925, my Z10 is 10.2.0.429, maybe they did improve this ...
    01-03-14 05:52 PM
    Yes there are some contact improvements but I don't believe the issue you have brought up was addressed. I am going to test tonite and see what happens

01-03-14 06:34 PM
    So, if you are out of network, your contacts disappear? How long does it take? I have not seen this happen. But I have never been out of network very long

I thought the only time they disappeared is when you deleted them or the account.

Yea I'm curious about that too. I have often been out of network range, but never more then a few hours at a time. Does this happen if your out of range for a day or more?

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:56 PM
    OK so I had my Z in airplane mode for a while and none of my contacts disappeared

01-03-14 11:38 PM
    New bb10 user here, only the last few days.. I just spent a good bit of time today making sure my contacts were syncing with Google. Looks like I screwed something up when setting it up, I ended up with some contacts showing 3 times. Figured out how to clean all this up on my mac then resend everything out to Google. I've been using manual sync for contacts and calendar on macs, android and ios for a while. I found that scheduled syncs were not happening on my new z30. When I went to edit the card dav setup there was no password field in settings for Google contacts, but there was a password field under the Google caldav setup. I had to delete the contacts account and re add it, this time choosing manual sync. Now it finally appears to be working (and it now has a password field..???) . Just like on my mac or iPad, editing a contact causes a sync. I literally just finished testing all this out and it now seems to work fine. Just edit a contact in some trivial way to force a sync. No need to edit the account and then save it to force a sync, unless you like making it take longer This works fine for me, having a sync button would be faster, but since I edit contacts (and associated notes) more frequently than adding or deleting whole contacts, it works pretty well. That is... I hope it KEEPS working pretty well. Disappointing that the built in sync didn't even work. But for my particular needs, I prefer manual syncing for this stuff.
    12-01-14 05:14 PM