02-28-15 10:25 AM
34 12
tools
    I'm referring to the old legacy BB method of pulling out the battery *while* the device is on and frozen; that was the old fix that everyone got accustomed to with BB devices.

Of course if you power down first and remove the battery, it'll be fine.

Why are you pulling the battery every month or two if the hard reset with the volume buttons do the same thing? Perhaps conditioning with legacy devices? It's not necessary anymore.
    when I said what I said, it's because I figured everyone would know to shut the phone off first. it's pretty much common sense if your not an alien to electronics

| bER1Nry | on the |  Q10 |
    02-21-15 12:14 AM
    when I said what I said, it's because I figured everyone would know to shut the phone off first. it's pretty much common sense if your not an alien to electronics
    Legacy BB was prone to freezing where nothing would respond, even the power button, which is why it was common to pull the battery to fix. It was the common solution, even when it was dangerous to do so.
    02-21-15 04:10 AM
    If you try to update over the air, the installation files needs additional space. The Download is about one gigabyte and there is additional space needed to unpack and install the update. Using Blackberry Link should store those installation files on your computer. It seems there is nothing wrong about this recommendation.
    I had to get rid of Need for Speed for my update.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:41 AM
    Why are you pulling the battery every month or two if the hard reset with the volume buttons do the same thing? Perhaps conditioning with legacy devices? It's not necessary anymore.
    Because I don't trust the volume button reset does as good of a job as a battery pull does.

Breaking complete power contact every once in awhile with electronic items is never a bad thing

STL-4. 10.3.1.2267
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-21-15 10:44 AM
    i didn't and it bricked my z10. had to restore. lost everything
    02-27-15 04:34 PM
    BlackBerry's official solution (workaround) seems to be to load the update using BlackBerry Link

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't even call it a work around. Rather it is the preferred method. Too many things can go wrong when you're downloading 1.5GB wirelessly.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    02-27-15 04:38 PM
    I'm referring to the old legacy BB method of pulling out the battery *while* the device is on and frozen; that was the old fix that everyone got accustomed to with BB devices.

Of course if you power down first and remove the battery, it'll be fine.

Okay the conclusion we came to here on CB in the past was that due to the BlackBerry10 kernel being QNX (this is after we got QNX developers involved in the debate), it SHOULDN'T corrupt anything. It was designed to be versatile and sometimes in the electronic systems that they power globally (cars, infotainment, etc), it was designed to be power-failure safe.

Having said that, we also came to the conclusion that BlackBerry10 phones are the same as any other electronic and there is always some sort of exception to this case and I'm sure 0.01% of the time some issue may arise from this, as it would from anything.

99.9% of the time this shouldn't be an issue. Having said that, everyone is free to do as they please and shutting it down first is never a bad idea, just not necessary!

Now if you guys really want to continue this debate, take the battery pull debate to the original threads that scatter the forums (just do a quick search).

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-27-15 04:45 PM
    At this point, it should be hoped that battery pulls aren't designed to be part of the normal operation of BB10 devices because new devices are coming out with sealed batteries. It would be crazy for BlackBerry to develop an OS that would require occassional battery pulls to fix things.
    02-27-15 05:36 PM
    At this point, it should be hoped that battery pulls aren't designed to be part of the normal operation of BB10 devices because new devices are coming out with sealed batteries. It would be crazy for BlackBerry to develop an OS that would require occassional battery pulls to fix things.
    And to quote others, a "Hard Reset" used to be known on BlackBerry devices as a battery pull. With OS10, we were introduced with the ability to "Hard Reset" via a firmware-forced hardware combination (holding volume up and down at the same time for most devices, different on a couple of them though).

It's simulating a battery pull by resetting the power connection to the chipset, thereby doing a "battery pull" without needing to actually remove the battery! :P

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.1.2072
    02-28-15 10:25 AM
34 12