I only update OS using Link and only official OS. I do not want to use autoloaders because I see that autoloaders is not an official BB OS software. God knows what malware is in the autoloaders. Basically to summarize, I do not download files that are not from official blackberry.com link, whether some says it's straight from BBRY (including the leaks), but I just don't buy it. Therefore please respect my point of view and no bashing please.

From reading answers from my previous questions, the only way to do a clean install with Link is by removing the USB cable while updating, then the device become unusable (brick), then restore the device using Link? To me, this does not sound too good, it's a dirty way. What if the restore can not restore the OS? Is it 100% safe? Will I be able to recover any bricked phone using restore option in Link?

What I mean by clean install is similar to Windows term, basically format the drive, then install a fresh new OS.

Another way is first update the OS using Link or OTA, then security wipe. But does security wipe actually really clean up all the OS junk and install a fresh factory setting OS?

Thanks.
    03-14-14 03:16 PM
    Here read this thread, the SIC will delete all from your phone.
    Then install is through link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=909209

Posted on my Z30 with the newest leak
    03-14-14 03:24 PM
    To truly format the filesystem, get rid of the OS and put a new/the same OS back in requires tools other than Link, so that is a no go in this case.

The most Link can do is a security wipe, so the cleanest that you can get depends on how many wipes you plan on doing. One before OS install and one after makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-14 03:24 PM
    I see. In iOS, it's pretty easy to restore using iTunes. because it wipes the phone. I wonder if Link restore is actually doing the same thing?
    03-14-14 03:30 PM
    I would recommend an Autoloader. It makes clean install of the system.
    03-29-15 06:44 PM
    But before doing this make a full device backup, save your personal data.
    03-29-15 06:46 PM
    03-29-15 06:47 PM
    Here you can find stock OS Autoloader:
    https://supportforums.blackberry.com...r/td-p/2466747
    Why are you answering a post 12 months old? I think they've probably figured it out by now.

Via CB10 Rockin PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.281
    peednus likes this.
    03-29-15 07:23 PM
    Here read this thread, the SIC will delete all from your phone.
    Then install is through link.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=909209

Posted on my Z30 with the newest leak
    I wouldn't listen to this guy.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    03-29-15 07:29 PM
    Go to the official BlackBerry site and do an update from there.
    Click on Update
    Plug in phone to usb
    Hold top button down till phone shuts down
    Select phone from list after it starts booting back up
    Reboot phone again when prompted(if prompted)
    Watch as it downloads the latest OS then installs. (make sure you have enough hard drive space on your PC for the file).

Done! Perfect if you want to downgrade from a leak and works on bricked phones or ones with OS issues too!
    Keep in mind if you restore from a higher OS backup file your Android apps may not work and you may need to update the Android files.
    Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 07:57 PM
    I did this yesterday and could have used this old thread even though the info is not quite fully accurate.
    Start link, go to preferences and click on Reload Device Software. Follow instructions for a brand new phone with current carrier OS. Actually it was very quick and easy. Of course setting up the phone again was a bit tedious with choosing which apps to reinstall and setting up accounts again.
    I used backup pro and had a current BBlink bu to fall back on.
    03-30-15 08:02 AM
    I did this yesterday and could have used this old thread even though the info is not quite fully accurate.
    Start link, go to preferences and click on Reload Device Software. Follow instructions for a brand new phone with current carrier OS. Actually it was very quick and easy. Of course setting up the phone again was a bit tedious with choosing which apps to reinstall and setting up accounts again.
    Are you sure it completely erases the OS then installs a new one? The times I have done it that way it seems it only does a security wipe. It immediately tells me to disconnect my phone and does the wipe.

Edit-.Actually I have never done it through the preferences tab. I have only done a security wipe through the Backup and Restore tab.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-15 08:22 AM
    Ok this is wayyyy easier than the way I described. I am doing it right now.
    Maybe if link won't detect your phone then the other way will work.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 05:46 PM
    The first time I tried, I did it without the Preferences method and it did a security wipe like you mentioned. I was delighted when the preferences method worked so easily.
    The only downside is the seemingly endless personal configurations I have to do. One last thing is getting SNAP going again to grab those few apps not available on Amazon.
    04-01-15 07:39 AM
    I have to say though that it restored my Z10 back to a 10.2 OS so it was a pretty long process since it updated to 10.3.1 right after....

Posted via CB10
    04-01-15 07:54 AM