Reading a thread on Reddit, one of the ways T-mobile determines if you are tethering is by the packet TTL (time to live) .

I used the bb10 app that allow shell command and it seems QNX doesn't allow the ping command, which is one way to note the TTL setting.

I have the Android Fing app, and it doesn't allow ping either.

I'm out of ideas.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-16 07:47 PM
    Reading a thread on Reddit, one of the ways T-mobile determines if you are tethering is by the packet TTL (time to live) .

I used the bb10 app that allow shell command and it seems QNX doesn't allow the ping command, which is one way to note the TTL setting.

I'm out of ideas.

Posted via CB10
    What BB10 app?

Rogers Blackberry Passport. BlackBerry Since 2006
    03-31-16 10:32 PM

I'm out of ideas.

Posted via CB10
    You can do it from BlackBerry10. Just go to Settings - Networks and connections - Wi-Fi - advanced - Ping (choose it on list).

How do I ping from bb10?-img_20160401_064546.png

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-31-16 10:48 PM
    Yep. That works. Who would have thought it would be in the wifi menu, and it works when not on wifi. Of course I didn't look under wifi

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 01:09 AM
    OMG!!! I was not aware of this or any of the other options in the advanced settings! It's like Christmas, screw the update for now!

Posted via my Expired Passport
    04-01-16 03:02 AM
    They have a trace route hidden there too. Nice programming. User interface...well...not so intuitive. But now that we know the network tools are hidden in the wifi page, good enough. BlackBerry might want to rethink this in the future.

As a FYI, there are two network type tools hidden in the "about" menu under settings.

Settings->about->network->...
    Again, a very un-intuitive location. Generally an "about" menu is passive, but there are two active features in that menu. Resync is handy when the cellular network is just plain cranky. It does a bit of updating of network data. I never used the register with BlackBerry, but I think know where it will come in handy. I've had occasions where I am in areas with no cellular service. If I find wifi, the phone seems a bit confused. Eventually the BlackBerry symbol shows up on the phone, meaning BlackBerry services are working. I suspect I can just force the phone to re-register with BlackBerry using that feature under "about" and get a faster response.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-16 04:53 AM