With the release of Whatsapp coming up fairly soon, I find myself wondering how third party developers will be able to integrate their apps into the hub. The thing I've realized is that apps that integrate into the hub are shown under "Accounts" in system settings. Is this function open to third party devs? I know that the Google Talk app, for example, uses it. Yes, that is developed by BB, but at least it indicates that Hub Integration is at least possible. So I guess, my questions are the following:

-Are third party apps able to integrate into the Hub (ie have their own "Section," like Email, Facebook, Twitter, Gtalk, etc.)?

- When third party apps are closed, and they receive a push notification, is it just a generic "Bell" notification or is it an app specific one, like email, Facebook, etc.?

- is it possible to continue conversations directly in the Hub with third party apps? I've noticed that while you can do it with Facebook, and Twitter, even Gtalk is not able to do it, though it is made by BB. It takes you to the app itself when you click the conversation, which I honestly don't mind. If even this level of Hub Integration is available to third party apps like whatsapp, ill be very happy.

- Lastly (and this relates to my last point), is it realistic to expect Facebook/Twitter level integration for third party apps? Wouldn't that mean that they would always have to be running in order for them to be accessible by the Hub all the time?

Please note that I am not a developer, and I'm just curious as to how much Hub Integration is currently available. Obviously, this will be expanded upon in future updates, but I'm trying to see what level of integration we can expect from Whatsapp when it us released.
    sala7 likes this.
    02-27-13 05:13 PM
    Interesting. I can't edit the title to fix the spelling mistake.
    02-27-13 05:22 PM
    i am guessing you can only receive messages in the hub if the app/active frame is open
    02-27-13 06:50 PM
    I do know that both FaceBook's and Twitter's hub integration was built by BBRY. I have to believe that any hub access would have to at least be built with BBRY's assistance?
    02-27-13 08:27 PM
    A look at the APIs should shed some light on this topic. Any developers reading this thread?
    02-27-13 09:12 PM
    -Are third party apps able to integrate into the Hub (ie have their own "Section," like Email, Facebook, Twitter, Gtalk, etc.)?
    These API's are not yet public, so 3rd party apps can't use them yet.

- When third party apps are closed, and they receive a push notification, is it just a generic "Bell" notification or is it an app specific one, like email, Facebook, etc.?
    Push notifications are app-specific.

- is it possible to continue conversations directly in the Hub with third party apps? I've noticed that while you can do it with Facebook, and Twitter, even Gtalk is not able to do it, though it is made by BB. It takes you to the app itself when you click the conversation, which I honestly don't mind. If even this level of Hub Integration is available to third party apps like whatsapp, ill be very happy.
    Not yet

- Lastly (and this relates to my last point), is it realistic to expect Facebook/Twitter level integration for third party apps? Wouldn't that mean that they would always have to be running in order for them to be accessible by the Hub all the time?
    Once the API's have been made public. They should not need to be running all the time for simple text messgaes. Apps can post notifications to the hub already, and don't need to be running for those to show up, so logically they should not need to be running for other kinds of text messages. If the messages are more complicated (e.g. sound, video, images) or have additional actions, a launch may be required when the message is opened. We'll see...
    03-09-13 05:39 AM
    Apparently api's may be made available in may
    03-09-13 05:41 AM
    Is it reasonable to think that WhatsApp may have been given access to the necessary API's by BlackBerry in order to create a better app, similarly to how Skype are with their Android port?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 06:00 AM
    Is it reasonable to think that WhatsApp may have been given access to the necessary API's by BlackBerry in order to create a better app, similarly to how Skype are with their Android port?

Posted via CB10
    I definitely think it's reasonable to think that, it's most likely the case.
    03-09-13 06:05 AM
    I dont think the 10 allows full third party intergration access yet.After 10.1 update hopefully devs get access.
    03-09-13 11:36 AM
    Third party intergaration is not yet open for the homesscreen either. I hope it will be opened for both the hub and homescreen soon.
    03-13-13 09:36 PM
    Yeah, but my main concern (not being able to continue conversations in third party apps from the hub) has been proven unfounded! Whatsapp allows you to communicate right in the hub even with the app closed from active frames

In fact, it works better in that regard than bb's own Gtalk app which has to have the app open to communicate. Though Gtalk adds a separate section, and whatsapp doesn't, i'd still rather have the former functionality than the app having its own section

Overall I'm very satisfied. Allowing apps to have their own section and app icon for notifications is the next step. That would make things perfect!

Third party intergaration is not yet open for the homesscreen either. I hope it will be opened for both the hub and homescreen soon.
    I have no idea what you mean by that. How would apps integrate into the home screen? If you're referring to active frames, a lot of apps do already, and that includes whatsapp.

As for hub integration, it is present, just not fully. The number 1 feature is being able to chat without leaving the hub and opening the app, and that works with third party apps (like whatsapp). The other thing that works flawlessly is push notifications, even while the app is closed. Everything else (like having a separate section for the app, etc.) is secondary, and isn't a big deal that we have to wait till the next OS update for it.
    03-13-13 11:17 PM