Another example of one of the biggest short comings of BB10.
    I'm sure there are other things I'd fix before this. Not sure I'd apply such melodramatic statements to not being able to remove pre-installed apps. Most OS manufacturers are like this.

for example, grab an iPhone and see if you can remove imessage, health, notes, reminders, find iPhone, Voice Memos, Compass, Calculator, Passbook etc.
    rthonpm likes this.
    06-23-15 05:56 AM
    I'm sure there are other things I'd fix before this. Not sure I'd apply such melodramatic statements to not being able to remove pre-installed apps. Most OS manufacturers are like this.

for example, grab an iPhone and see if you can remove imessage, health, notes, reminders, find iPhone, Voice Memos, Compass, Calculator, Passbook etc.
    Has any version of iOS ever allowed that freedom though? BlackBerry users here used to love having that level of control over their device. Remember, lots of CrackBerry users actually used to talk bad about iOS and Android for not allowing users to uninstall pre-installed apps.

BlackBerry has moved backwards in this regard. It's a shame. Honestly, the biggest reason I don't use BB10 is the total lack of control and customization options. I for one hope they address it.
    06-23-15 06:40 AM
    So you're saying BlackBerry shouldn't do something until waiting to see if Apple does it first? I think this is another (missed) opportunity for BlackBerry to lead the way.

There's at least a half dozen pre-installed BlackBerry apps I would LOVE to purge forever from my Q5. BBM is just one of many in that regard.
    06-23-15 06:44 AM
    So you're saying BlackBerry shouldn't do something until waiting to see if Apple does it first? I think this is another (missed) opportunity for BlackBerry to lead the way.

There's at least a half dozen pre-installed BlackBerry apps I would LOVE to purge forever from my Q5. BBM is just one of many in that regard.
    No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's mildly annoying but I don't paint it as some disaster that it's painted as here. Pre-Installed apps are on just about every phone and BlackBerry suddenly doing a campaign saying "you can remove anything you want!!!" isn't going to move the needle.
    extisis likes this.
    06-23-15 06:48 AM
    Honestly, the biggest reason I don't use BB10 is the total lack of control and customization options. I for one hope they address it.
    Absolutely positively no control and no customization whatsoever? Such melodrama!
    :-)
    lift likes this.
    06-23-15 06:49 AM
    What is your status? I have mine set to "Busy." I don't know if it will help.
    Help what? That does absolutely nothing.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 06:53 AM

With the legacy OS, pretty much every pre-installed app (or at least all of the ones I ever tried) was completely uninstallable. With legacy OS, users had far more control. With BB10, you get what BlackBerry gives ya and too bad if ya don't like it.

Don't want BBM wasting resources on your device even though you don't ever use it? Well too bad!
    Post makes no sense.

Posted via CB10
    lift and extisis like this.
    06-23-15 06:54 AM
    Absolutely positively no control and no customization whatsoever? Such melodrama!
    :-)
    Melodrama aside (of course there are some options in BB10), would you say that BB10 gives users the same amount of control/customization options as BlackBerry 7 did?

Heck, go back even further. Let's compare the customization options and level of user control of BlackBerry OS 4.5 with the current latest and lamest from BlackBerry. Pro tip; even the Storm 9530 had themes and the ability to remove garbage like BBM.

BB10 might offer users some control and hey, you can change your wallpaper and the order of icons, but it isn't quite the same as what I grew accustomed to having from a BlackBerry.

Many others here appreciated those features of previous BlackBerry devices as well. BUT of course they are no longer as important now that BlackBerry don't offer them.
    06-23-15 06:59 AM
    buy an iPhone
    06-23-15 08:21 AM
    Melodrama aside (of course there are some options in BB10), would you say that BB10 gives users the same amount of control/customization options as BlackBerry 7 did?

Heck, go back even further. Let's compare the customization options and level of user control of BlackBerry OS 4.5 with the current latest and lamest from BlackBerry. Pro tip; even the Storm 9530 had themes and the ability to remove garbage like BBM.

BB10 might offer users some control and hey, you can change your wallpaper and the order of icons, but it isn't quite the same as what I grew accustomed to having from a BlackBerry.

Many others here appreciated those features of previous BlackBerry devices as well. BUT of course they are no longer as important now that BlackBerry don't offer them.
    Who cares? What has that level of customization done for BlackBerry? Oh haha nothing.
    extisis likes this.
    06-23-15 08:25 AM
    Who cares? What has that level of customization done for BlackBerry? Oh haha nothing.
    I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but BlackBerry was far more successful with legacy OS than they will ever be with BB10. Legacy OS user still outnumber BB10 users by a significant margin. Surely all of that isn't just because of customization options and user control, but it is what is. Fact remains, BlackBerry devices did sell better when they had more customization options than they do now. So yea...

If BB10 wasn't so restrictive and limited, I'd still be using one. So obviously I do care. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.
    Magnetox likes this.
    06-23-15 09:00 AM
    I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but BlackBerry was far more successful with legacy OS than they will ever be with BB10. Legacy OS user still outnumber BB10 users by a significant margin. Surely all of that isn't just because of customization options and user control, but it is what is. Fact remains, BlackBerry devices did sell better when they had more customization options than they do now. So yea...

If BB10 wasn't so restrictive and limited, I'd still be using one. So obviously I do care. I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.
    One has nothing to do with the other. Your trying to make what you want relevant. It's not.

Posted via CB10
    andy n and lift like this.
    06-23-15 04:04 PM
    I'll take this back to the original question.

BBM can't be removed. That much we know.

But, at least it should be made so that if BBM has not even been set up - that is, that initial setup where you are asked to start adding contacts - then it should not be running in the background using data no matter how much or how little.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-15 05:25 PM
    No, though I once had to provide informal support to people who managed to bung up their BB devices a lot but customizing and then forgetting how to "customize it back". :-) Made my days long when someone installed a theme from somewhere, and it changed how the buttons looked, how the navigation worked etc.

and the ability to remove garbage like BBM.
    Now this could have been a good discussion. Then you started to want to act as though your personal opinions are facts. YOU don't like BBM. Are the people who prefer it full of crap?
    Witmen likes this.
    06-23-15 05:40 PM
    No, though I once had to provide informal support to people who managed to bung up their BB devices a lot but customizing and then forgetting how to "customize it back". :-) Made my days long when someone installed a theme from somewhere, and it changed how the buttons looked, how the navigation worked etc.
    Indeed, I remember those days fondly. I used to be the go to guy for several of my family/friends/co workers whenever they had screwed up their BlackBerry in the way you're describing. I even used to take requests and build custom themes for them. It was good times, but without question, the more customization options/control available, the more chance for problems to pop-up if you don't know what you're doing.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    06-23-15 06:00 PM

I think the loss of customization is worthy of its own topic, of course its been discussed in other topics but specifically the undeletable features we do not want.

For me, the change is more of a concern about whats next, the undeletable programs are few and nonintrusive, so far (amazon appstore being the glaring exception if youve used it and then decide you didnt want to use it).

Im sure there are reasons we cant have our cake and eat it too on this change, and the amazon appstore deal was a compromise that maybe had to be made, but it would be nice to be warned ahead of time that once you click on it and accept, they gotcha! No backing up allowed, its really un-BlackBerry- like, not to mention unintuitive. If we're not on a big slippery slope i can accept these changes for an overall better phone experience than the other brands, there's no comparison!

Its a valid point, and a valid topic of debate whether or not it will change anything.

I was new to BlackBerry when i bought a Bold almost 2(?) years ago, and between BB10 and OS7 its a toss up, the things i want the phone for are done better on OS7. I am very happy to be playing with both.

We are at a turning point, and its not ALL good.
    Witmen likes this.
    06-23-15 10:39 PM
    Cellular data is expensive in my country. So I don't want to lost my data in something I don't use it. I just wanna find the way to stop it. 50mb or more in storage is not the problem but loosing data is the nightmare. I tried to stop by parent control. Now it shows no data used in BB device monitor. Is it right or they just hide data?

Each person have their own interest. Nothing is the best. I don't use or may give up a lot of sotfware which are exclusive in ios or android. I can use another os pararell. But I love BB's keyboard. I spend a big money to buy it (in comparision to S5, 5s, Z3c...). Then the "double typing" issuse happens. It will be a biggest disappoiment if these problem can't resolve. BB should not have problem with keyboard and BBM. They are their "GOAL".
    06-24-15 05:17 AM

With the legacy OS, pretty much every pre-installed app (or at least all of the ones I ever tried) was completely uninstallable. With legacy OS, users had far more control. With BB10, you get what BlackBerry gives ya and too bad if ya don't like it.

Don't want BBM wasting resources on your device even though you don't ever use it? Well too bad!
    They force you to have BBM because they've gotta sell those stickers somehow lol

Q10 - 10.3.2.2204/SR .2134  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    Witmen and ATMJOE like this.
    06-24-15 06:03 AM
    Thanks for all comments. I tried all your solutions. I did wipe. I always deny all BBM connecting permission. I create a thread to see the help. I used 8700, Pearl, 9700, 9780, Q10(use normal 3G data without Bis) and playbook as well. But I haven't faced to this problem. I don't know how to add a screenshot in the post. My data usage is about 10Mb each day and reach to a hundred if I receive a text. Even roaming data was used while I have already disabled in the setting. I will try parental control to see what happen.
    Maybe channels are using up data.....

Posted via CB10
    06-24-15 07:40 AM
    Every single BB10 user is experiencing exactly what I mentioned. What problem do you think I was talking about?

Can you uninstall BBM from BB10? Does having BB10 installed use storage space whether you use it or not?

Ah, yea. Looks like all BB10 users have the problem I spoke of. A complete and total lack of control. With the legacy OS, BBM was completely uninstallable. With BB10 it isn't.
    don't care about the last bit you said, i'm talking about OP's problem, not yours.
    06-24-15 09:35 AM
    Legacy OS user still outnumber BB10 users by a significant margin. Surely all of that isn't just because of customization options and user control, but it is what is.

you should stick to the BBOS forums then.
    06-24-15 09:36 AM
    Ignorant comment
    Posted via CB10
    my comment ignorant or you're too ignorant to understand it?
    06-25-15 03:20 AM
    I can understand why people wouldn't like BBM. The broadcast messages really do my nut in so I end up deleting contacts for that reason alone.
    Q10 - 10.3.2.2204/SR .2134  < α∂∂ι�т > 
    yes excessive broadcast can be annoying sometime, but look at it this way, BB brought broadcast messaging to the forefront of instant messaging and virtually all IM competitors to BBM have implemented the feature in their app...that should tell you that BBM/broadcast messaging is not such a bad thing
    06-25-15 03:30 AM
    That's a silly comment to make.

My preference for BlackBerry has nothing to do with BBM. No one else I know uses it, so that's not even relevant to me. And I've had a BlackBerry since 2007 - their heyday. But never used BBM.

I've never even set up BBM on my Z10, yet it's still used 58MB of my data so far this month alone. What is it doing?

And "parental controls"? Sure, that hides the app - even from the device monitor. But I tried that for several weeks, and after bringing it back, it turned out that it was still draining data all that time.

I'll admit that it doesn't pull a lot of data compared to most other apps, and I'm sure if I used it, a lot more data would be used, but still... just the idea that it's pinging something - I assume the NOC - constantly when not even used is a bit unnerving.

Posted via CB10
    what do you think of all the silly accusations of data consumption and pinging you accused BBM of on your device which are all untrue?
    06-25-15 03:34 AM
    Indeed, I remember those days fondly. I used to be the go to guy for several of my family/friends/co workers whenever they had screwed up their BlackBerry in the way you're describing. I even used to take requests and build custom themes for them. It was good times, but without question, the more customization options/control available, the more chance for problems to pop-up if you don't know what you're doing.
    You toned down. Several posts before you were touting how BBOS had such success based on its customization options.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    06-25-15 08:34 AM
51 123