As my BlackBerry Z30 on OS10 gets older, I'm being forced to download Android Apps as alternatives to keep it going. The native browser does not work for some sites so I tried Firefox, which is now set as the Default browser.

Recent experience is that the browser freezes for a while before starting again, and will sometimes eventually crash. What do I do to fix this?
    12-31-17 07:23 AM
    Firefox is a resource hog on BB10.

Try Opera Mini instead.
    12-31-17 07:27 AM
    Install waterfox, it is also a firefox browser, is opensource and done by community.
    However, It goes much more smoothly than the super heavy firefox for android.

Posted via CB10
    Anthony B1 likes this.
    01-01-18 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the tip! I also sometimes have the same issue with Firefox. Tbh I find the native browser on the passport works OK.
    01-01-18 07:01 AM
    Firefox is a resource hog on BB10.

Try Opera Mini instead.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have been trialing Opera for a few days now, but it seems worse than Firefox. It also takes very long to open and load. I haven't been able to set it as Default either. Just goes through the process and comes back to the same NEXT screen suggesting tap the "Always" button, which I can't find.
    01-02-18 06:08 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have been trialing Opera for a few days now, but it seems worse than Firefox. It also takes very long to open and load. I haven't been able to set it as Default either. Just goes through the process and comes back to the same NEXT screen suggesting tap the "Always" button, which I can't find.
    Opera, or Opera Mini?
    bbrotestant likes this.
    01-02-18 07:23 AM
    Yes, definitely Mini.
    01-02-18 01:40 PM
    Naked Browser.

Javascript off. Fastest browser possible on the Classic.

With javascript on; stil fast

Just the UI needs some time to get used to...

Posted via CB10
    bbrotestant likes this.
    01-02-18 01:42 PM
    Opera, or Opera Mini?
    It is my experience that neither Firefox or Opera Mini are worth the glitches or problems on BB10. YMMV.
    01-02-18 01:44 PM
    It is my experience that neither Firefox or Opera Mini are worth the glitches or problems on BB10. YMMV.
    Just for those times when you need more compatibility.
    01-02-18 01:47 PM
    IceCatMobile (Gecko layout engine-Firefox rebrand) from F-Droid is what I use when I need that (which is very rare).

EDIT: ohoh-I just tried ICM after an update and it is TERRIBLE. I'll have to go back to a previous version or find something else, lol. Haven't used it in ages -

Update in case anyone cares: did a reboot and ICM is working fine and using next to nothing for resources.
    Last edited by brookie229; 01-02-18 at 07:34 PM.
    01-02-18 01:58 PM
    I'm finding the native BB10 browser getting slower in general, and not always working on some sites. Not sure if doing a clean install (aka using an autoloader) will bring it back.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    01-02-18 03:43 PM
    Yes, but to solve the compatibility issue, the alternative browser needs to be set as Default.

Some things I click and it says it can't open in the native browser.
    Set Firefox as Default and those links or sites can open, but may stick.
    Attempt to set Opera Mini as Default and it wouldn't work. (So clicking a link will not lead to Opera Mini.)

I'm fast being pushed to move away from BlackBerry, but I don't want to change. Everything in this world now is Android or iOS, and most of my friends are laughing at me. So, where do we go from here??
    01-02-18 07:14 PM
    Yes, but to solve the compatibility issue, the alternative browser needs to be set as Default.

Attempt to set Opera Mini as Default and it wouldn't work. (So clicking a link will not lead to Opera Mini.)

I'm fast being pushed to move away from BlackBerry, but I don't want to change. Everything in this world now is Android or iOS, and most of my friends are laughing at me. So, where do we go from here??
    01-02-18 07:15 PM
    BlackBerry themselves moved away from BB10 more than two years ago.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-02-18 07:17 PM
    BlackBerry themselves moved away from BB10 more than two years ago.
    I see. So I need to change my phone every two years just to keep up. Guess I'll soon have to stop fighting against it then. Thanks everyone for the efforts to help.
    01-02-18 07:22 PM
    I see. So I need to change my phone every two years just to keep up. Guess I'll soon have to stop fighting against it then. Thanks everyone for the efforts to help.
    You can get about 3-4 years from iPhone depending on if you buy latest model and how soon you buy after release. Some flagship Android devices can do close as well.
    01-02-18 07:30 PM
    Firefox crashes even on my ageing Moto G.
    On Classic, all the big guys fell heavy. Im happy with opera mini though, with sync and compression. And Naked Browser is a blast!
    Ageing phones: well that's down to manufacturers and software devs. Sad. With above average phone I think you can easily get through 4 years - it all depends on your needs.
    I think we are getting somewhat over-multitasked and over distracted, mostly driven by ad revenue (or these days known as data collection)
    Last edited by bbrotestant; 01-07-18 at 07:33 AM.
    01-07-18 06:43 AM
    Naked Browser.

Javascript off. Fastest browser possible on the Classic.

With javascript on; stil fast

Just the UI needs some time to get used to...

Posted via CB10
    Pleasant surprise, thanks!
    01-07-18 07:34 AM

Did u try Waterfox? IMHO this flavour of firefox deserves a trial in your BlackBerry, and at least for my BlackBerry10 the performance was much better than an official firefox

Posted via CB10
    Anthony B1 likes this.
    01-07-18 11:12 AM
    Did u try Waterfox? IMHO this flavour of firefox deserves a trial in your BlackBerry, and at least for my BlackBerry10 the performance was much better than an official firefox

Posted via CB10
    Trying Waterfox now. Deleted Opera and Firefox, then set Waterfox as default browser. Looks okay so far. Thanks.
    dpgo likes this.
    01-07-18 08:08 PM
    BTW, there is a new version of waterfox, v56 and available in Playstore. In a classic it opens but after some seconds it crashes

Posted via CB10
    04-06-18 02:57 PM
    Depends on your version. Its sync and plugins(which rock) will really slow it down. I only use it to display something or download something that is too time consuming for the stock browser.
    https://app.box.com/s/y1mc494g7aljerf5ofy69yiak66voeaj
    Like that.
    https://www.evernote.com/shard/s569/...bf5cd14f3212c5

Great browser, should have been one for BBWorld.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-18 01:02 AM
    You may want to try other BB10 native browsers such as Browsie, QBrowser or Evolution Browser.

Alternatively, I find that Polarity has the best performance as an Android based Web browser running on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-18 01:58 AM
    You may want to try other BB10 native browsers such as Browsie, QBrowser or Evolution Browser.

Alternatively, I find that Polarity has the best performance as an Android based Web browser running on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    These native browser relies on the bb web browser engine , so they cannot improve in compatibility or javascript processing etc..

I will give a try to polarity to see if it support changing the useragent, BTW polarity is based in the free lighting browser

Posted via CB10
    04-07-18 04:36 AM
37 12