Ok a short post...

I constantly hear iPhone users that a file management is risk to the security etc,Like every app runs in a sandbox and some techy stuff like that,and that sounds "reasonable",so I couldn't figure out,is it Apple getting it wrong or BB has managed somehow to include the file manager without compromising security,and BB prefers security...So how is all that would anyone care to explain honestly?
    04-06-14 03:09 AM
    Ok a short post...

I constantly hear iPhone users that a file management is risk to the security etc,Like every app runs in a sandbox and some techy stuff like that,and that sounds "reasonable",so I couldn't figure out,is it Apple getting it wrong or BB has managed somehow to include the file manager without compromising security,and BB prefers security...So how is all that would anyone care to explain honestly?
    BB10's file manager doesn't allow root access. You get access to user files, but that's it.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 04:36 AM
    BB10's file manager doesn't allow root access. You get access to user files, but that's it.
    Exactly. Having a file manager on BB10 just makes it a better OS, it doesn't affect the security of the device at all. Apple can't even figure out SSL so that's probably why they can't figure out a file manager

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 04:51 AM
    Even Android file managers won't get to root of BlackBerry 10

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 04:57 AM
    It's not a security risk, apple doesn't want their users to access the files directly, but only through their beloved iTunes. Ios is just another operating system that can have file manager with root security.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 04:58 AM
    What the fling...this is pathetic from Apple...i am iOS user myself...i thought it is because every app runs in sandbox for security reasons that is why access is not allowed b/w apps
    04-06-14 06:01 AM
    What the fling...this is pathetic from Apple...i am iOS user myself...i thought it is because every app runs in sandbox for security reasons that is why access is not allowed b/w apps
    Hahaha..
    how do you feel now ?

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:24 AM
    Hahaha..
    how do you feel now ?

Posted via CB10
    Ooooooh snap!!

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 06:36 AM
    BB10 had a lot of things iOS does not. File manager is just the tip of the iceberg

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Kashan Osama and CerveloJohn like this.
    04-06-14 07:46 AM
    Apple decided long ago not to expose the file system to user level interactions. It will prevent users from accidentally messing up their files. I suppose that is a kind of security. But it also means that you can't get full utilization of the device without a desktop running iTunes.

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 08:44 AM
    Hahaha..
    how do you feel now ?

Posted via CB10
    Ooooooh snap!!

Posted via CB10
    BB10 had a lot of things iOS does not. File manager is just the tip of the iceberg

CB10'n it via da Z...30
    Apple decided long ago not to expose the file system to user level interactions. It will prevent users from accidentally messing up their files. I suppose that is a kind of security. But it also means that you can't get full utilization of the device without a desktop running iTunes.

Posted via CB10

Don't start on me now...BB has many more things i can complain and whine about...Those little missing functionalities to the app gap that "DOES" make a different..No good productivity apps What? and many more...TO the initial unpolished experience...

Is there an alarm/reminders app that have "dayminders" and "constantly nagging alarm" ???iOS does have one...

AND NO,just no..I am not defending my OS now,nor I am angry as it seems to be...It is just how things are,how Today's smartphones and OS'es are...
    byex likes this.
    04-06-14 01:14 PM
    It's actually not just any old file manager, this thing is the best file manager I've ever used. I manage files on my computers, windows tablets, Dropbox, everything, all from the bb10 file manager.

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 01:46 PM
    I just wish I could get my Seagate wireless plus hard drive to show in the file manager wirelessly.

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 01:47 PM
    It's actually not just any old file manager, this thing is the best file manager I've ever used. I manage files on my computers, windows tablets, Dropbox, everything, all from the bb10 file manager.

Posted via CB10
    It's pretty decent. A "select all" and "select series" functionality seems to be missing, as well as the ability to view full properties, rename in bulk, tabs, and shortcuts. Other than that (and a couple I may have overlooked) it's getting the job done, RFA is pretty handy but any file browser/manager installed on a BB10 device can use it as well.

But we at least have a manager, and it does nicely for its feature list.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 03:13 PM
    I just wish I could get my Seagate wireless plus hard drive to show in the file manager wirelessly.

Posted via CB10
    I could be mistaken but I believe only local drives where Link can adjust share permissions can be used; else it could be a matter of mapping and including it in Link.

Posted via CB10
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-06-14 03:17 PM
    It's all about design philosophy. To take an automotive analogy, Apple think the average car(smartphone) owner should never have need to look under the hood.....

Apples idea is like having a car where you can't open the hood(us)/bonnet(uk) and in case you fancy trying all nuts bolts and screws have special Apple specific heads on them. Tools to fit are mostly not available to general public except for a handful for user serviceable items which are in the trunk(us)/boot(uk) each have different fittings tools for which are available at extortionate mark up. On a plus side almost any interior fitting is available from isofix child seats to a sub for the stereo.

Android is like you can open the hood and change your own cam belt if you want. No bespoke bolt heads but you'll need a mixed bag of imperial, american fine, the odd metric and even whitworth sockets if you dig deep enough. Bolt heads are Pozidrive, philips/cross head, allen key equal measure with the odd torx. Inside you can fix child seats, a sub and you probably have free fluffy dice and faux leopard skin car seat covers (bloatware) which although removable are tied on with granny knots.

BlackBerry 10 + you cant open the hood, but the hood's made of perspex held down with superglue so you can see what's under there but not touch it.
    Some stuff that might normally be under the hood like the battery, windscreen washer bottle and fuse box are in the trunk(us)/boot(uk) and you can open that. Most bolts are metric or torx which is fine except Americans complain like hell there imperial sockets don't fit. Interior fittings are rather austere black (VW style) no fluffy dice or leopard print seat covers are available but most useful stuff like child seats can be fitted.
    Last edited by gg bb; 04-06-14 at 05:25 PM.
    04-06-14 04:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry File manager should have samba mount, Add that and it would be perfect
    Sergiu1337 likes this.
    04-06-14 05:27 PM
    It's all about design philosophy. To take an automotive analogy, Apple think the average car(smartphone) owner should never have need to look under the hood.....

Apples idea is like having a car where you can't open the hood(us)/bonnet(uk) and in case you fancy trying all nuts bolts and screws have special Apple specific heads on them. Tools to fit are mostly not available to general public except for a handful for user serviceable items which are in the trunk(us)/boot(uk) each have different fittings tools for which are available at extortionate mark up. On a plus side almost any interior fitting is available from isofix child seats to a sub for the stereo.

Android is like you can open the hood and change your own cam belt if you want. No bespoke bolt heads but you'll need a mixed bag of imperial, american fine, the odd metric and even whitworth sockets if you dig deep enough. Bolt heads are Pozidrive, philips/cross head, allen key equal measure with the odd torx. Inside you can fix child seats, a sub and you probably have free fluffy dice and faux leopard skin car seat covers (bloatware) which although removable are tied on with granny knots.

BlackBerry 10 + you cant open the hood, but the hood's made of perspex held down with superglue so you can see what's under there but not touch it.
    Some stuff that might normally be under the hood like the battery, windscreen washer bottle and fuse box are in the trunk(us)/boot(uk) and you can open that. Most bolts are metric or torx which is fine except Americans complain like hell there imperial sockets don't fit. Interior fittings are rather austere black (VW style) no fluffy dice or leopard print seat covers are available but most useful stuff like child seats can be fitted.
    Omg what a fine explanation thanks thank you so much mate
    04-06-14 05:42 PM
    BlackBerry File manager should have samba mount, Add that and it would be perfect
    Not included within the file manager. If it's not an onboard connection like Onedrive, Box, and Dropbox, it has to be an inclusion from BlackBerry Link software on the desktop.

Unless of course you're saying it should because it doesn't and you want it added, then carry on.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:32 PM
    Not included within the file manager. If it's not an onboard connection like Onedrive, Box, and Dropbox, it has to be an inclusion from BlackBerry Link software on the desktop.

Unless of course you're saying it should because it doesn't and you want it added, then carry on.

Posted via CB10
    I think that's what he's saying (that they should add it)

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:47 PM
    I think that's what he's saying (that they should add it)

Posted via CB10
    I would definitely appreciate it if samba shares could be used, then we could really work over LAN with wireless drives, NAS storage, Linux and Windows shares that don't have BlackBerry Link installed.
    04-06-14 07:02 PM
    It's pretty decent. A "select all" and "select series" functionality seems to be missing, as well as the ability to view full properties, rename in bulk, tabs, and shortcuts. Other than that (and a couple I may have overlooked) it's getting the job done, RFA is pretty handy but any file browser/manager installed on a BB10 device can use it as well.

But we at least have a manager, and it does nicely for its feature list.

Posted via CB10
    These features would be pretty nice, especially the select all!

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 09:20 PM
    I would definitely appreciate it if samba shares could be used, then we could really work over LAN with wireless drives, NAS storage, Linux and Windows shares that don't have BlackBerry Link installed.
    I wonder how the Dropbox gets in there; would love a Seagate app that could get it in there, I'm going to try and map the drive to my pc and then share that drive via link and see if it works.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 09:21 PM
    The excellent file manager is the #1 reason I use BB10. I frequently need to send a spreadsheet, a couple of pdf's and a few photos to one recipient - just try doing that with an iPhone. Some of my iPhone-using contacts will send me 8 separate emails, each with one attachment, and some will just wait till they get to their desktop. How's that for productivity?
    04-06-14 10:34 PM
    Don't start on me now...BB has many more things i can complain and whine about...Those little missing functionalities to the app gap that "DOES" make a different..No good productivity apps What? and many more...TO the initial unpolished experience...

Is there an alarm/reminders app that have "dayminders" and "constantly nagging alarm" ???iOS does have one...

AND NO,just no..I am not defending my OS now,nor I am angry as it seems to be...It is just how things are,how Today's smartphones and OS'es are...
    yes there is and it comes out of the box... fail troll is fail?
    04-07-14 01:09 AM
58 123