I've just recently treated me to a new computer, now running windows 10. It became apparent - after lots of researching time - there is an issue with BB Link and Windows 10.

I've got it running, now, so I thought I'd post a step by step guide. Should this be wrong here, please do excuse me.

1. If not still on your computer, install Blackberry Link, Blend and the BB drivers.
    Note: It may be possible, the drivers are enough, haven't tried that, but i you want to try and post results, feel free.

Now we need some additional software. (Here's where the 'sort of' comes into play).

2. Download the latest version of Virtual box here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

3. while there, download the latest version of the Virtual Box expansion Pack

4. visit this Microsoft developer site and download any Windows 7. I've chosen the IE11 on Win7: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

Note: the Windows file is quite large (4.9GB) so depending on your internet connection this might take a while.

The following is a step you should undo after you're finished backing up, since it opens a critical secuity vulnerability:

5. open your control panel (win + r; type 'control [without '']; hit enter)

6. in "Icon" view open the "Apps and features" page

7. click on the "activate or deactivate additional windows feature" link on the left hand side

8. Scroll down to SMB 1.0 and expand it

9. activate Server and Client
    Note: client may be enough, feel free to try out.
    Note: this step requires a reboot of your system.

Since this step requires a reboot:

10. when rebooting enter your bios.

11. find the virtualization option. (In my asus bios it's under advanced>advanced>cpu config) and make sure it's enabled!

12. when rebooted install virtual box

13. install the expansion pack by double clicking the file, follow instructions on screen.

14. Since I didn't want my virtual machine to be on my c: drive ssd I created a folder "Virtual machines on my data drive. within this folder another folder called win7, and within that 2 folders called "shared" and "machine".

15. When the windows file is downloaded take the in the zip file included ova and copy it into the win7 folder we created earlier.

16. Start the image import by double clicking the ova file.

17. Since this isn't a high performance vm I kept it at 1cpu and 4gb of memory.

18. Change the path for the VM to the "machine" folder we created earlier.

19. hit ok, and let virtualbox import the VM.

20. Go into the VM settings. and navigate to usb. Enable it (2.0 should be enough)

21. navigate to "shared folders, hit the plus to the top right and select the "shared" folder we created earlier. Make sure to check "mount automatically"
    Note: Make sure you give writing permission!

22. hit ok.

23. start the vm.

24. before we're doing anything else, disable automatic update (control panel > windows update > don't look for updates)

25. open IE and download the latest version of the BB10 Desktop bundle

26. install the full bundle

27. open Link and sign in, add the bb device to this computer, disable automatic syncing.

28. connect your BB10 device to you PC. Should Link open in Win10: close it.

29. In the win7 VM mount the BB device (little usb icon in the lower right of the window > Research in Motion Device)

Your BB10 device should disconnect from your win10 machine and connect to win7.

30. Open Link, go through the routine and hit start using my device

31. Close Link

32. Open Blend and connect to your device using the usb connection

33. Once your Dashboard is fully loaded open up Link

34. wait until the Storage usage bar shows all these wonderfull colors

35. Go to Backup and restore

36. check "quick Backup"

37. start back up.

It'll start computing and once Bled disconnects you can be fairly sure it backs up your device.

Once the backup is done, copy the bbb file to the shared folder, to store it on your win10 device or where ever else you wish.

Be careful: the disk space may be not enough to make a full back up. In order to do that you need to add another drive to your vm:

When the machine is off go into its settings, mass storage, hit the harddik icon with the +, create a vdi with 40gb+, hit ok, start the vm, go into diskmanager, rightclick the new, unallocated disk, create new simple disk, give it a letter of your choice.

Keep in mind, this method isn't exactly the best and probably not 100% reliable but it works for me pretty well. It takes a while, but I don't care too much about that as long as it works.

I hope it works for you as well.
    Furthermore I hope I didn't forget anything.

Best Regards
    Flip
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-19-19 01:56 PM
    OMG -- I'll just stick to enabling smb1 and then disabling for the odd time I'll need to -- thanks anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-19 12:02 AM
    I've just recently treated me to a new computer, now running windows 10. It became apparent - after lots of researching time - there is an issue with BB Link and Windows 10.

I've got it running, now, so I thought I'd post a step by step guide. Should this be wrong here, please do excuse me.

1. If not still on your computer, install Blackberry Link, Blend and the BB drivers.
    Note: It may be possible, the drivers are enough, haven't tried that, but i you want to try and post results, feel free.

Now we need some additional software. (Here's where the 'sort of' comes into play).

2. Download the latest version of Virtual box here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

3. while there, download the latest version of the Virtual Box expansion Pack

4. visit this Microsoft developer site and download any Windows 7. I've chosen the IE11 on Win7: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...dge/tools/vms/

Note: the Windows file is quite large (4.9GB) so depending on your internet connection this might take a while.

The following is a step you should undo after you're finished backing up, since it opens a critical secuity vulnerability:

5. open your control panel (win + r; type 'control [without '']; hit enter)

6. in "Icon" view open the "Apps and features" page

7. click on the "activate or deactivate additional windows feature" link on the left hand side

8. Scroll down to SMB 1.0 and expand it

9. activate Server and Client
    Note: client may be enough, feel free to try out.
    Note: this step requires a reboot of your system.

Since this step requires a reboot:

10. when rebooting enter your bios.

11. find the virtualization option. (In my asus bios it's under advanced>advanced>cpu config) and make sure it's enabled!

12. when rebooted install virtual box

13. install the expansion pack by double clicking the file, follow instructions on screen.

14. Since I didn't want my virtual machine to be on my c: drive ssd I created a folder "Virtual machines on my data drive. within this folder another folder called win7, and within that 2 folders called "shared" and "machine".

15. When the windows file is downloaded take the in the zip file included ova and copy it into the win7 folder we created earlier.

16. Start the image import by double clicking the ova file.

17. Since this isn't a high performance vm I kept it at 1cpu and 4gb of memory.

18. Change the path for the VM to the "machine" folder we created earlier.

19. hit ok, and let virtualbox import the VM.

20. Go into the VM settings. and navigate to usb. Enable it (2.0 should be enough)

21. navigate to "shared folders, hit the plus to the top right and select the "shared" folder we created earlier. Make sure to check "mount automatically"
    Note: Make sure you give writing permission!

22. hit ok.

23. start the vm.

24. before we're doing anything else, disable automatic update (control panel > windows update > don't look for updates)

25. open IE and download the latest version of the BB10 Desktop bundle

26. install the full bundle

27. open Link and sign in, add the bb device to this computer, disable automatic syncing.

28. connect your BB10 device to you PC. Should Link open in Win10: close it.

29. In the win7 VM mount the BB device (little usb icon in the lower right of the window > Research in Motion Device)

Your BB10 device should disconnect from your win10 machine and connect to win7.

30. Open Link, go through the routine and hit start using my device

31. Close Link

32. Open Blend and connect to your device using the usb connection

33. Once your Dashboard is fully loaded open up Link

34. wait until the Storage usage bar shows all these wonderfull colors

35. Go to Backup and restore

36. check "quick Backup"

37. start back up.

It'll start computing and once Bled disconnects you can be fairly sure it backs up your device.

Once the backup is done, copy the bbb file to the shared folder, to store it on your win10 device or where ever else you wish.

Be careful: the disk space may be not enough to make a full back up. In order to do that you need to add another drive to your vm:

When the machine is off go into its settings, mass storage, hit the harddik icon with the +, create a vdi with 40gb+, hit ok, start the vm, go into diskmanager, rightclick the new, unallocated disk, create new simple disk, give it a letter of your choice.

Keep in mind, this method isn't exactly the best and probably not 100% reliable but it works for me pretty well. It takes a while, but I don't care too much about that as long as it works.

I hope it works for you as well.
    Furthermore I hope I didn't forget anything.

Best Regards
    Flip
    Hey Der,

Thanks for this, but it actually isn't necessary--you can actually implement just your steps 7 and 8 (enabling SMB1 functionality) on a Windows 10 box natively and Link will work just fine.

Additionally, there are third-party tools called Sachesi and Darcy's Blackberry Tools that work swimmingly under Windows 10 and will back up and restore your device flawlessly--just download and install. Let me know if you need a link.

It's awesome that you're willing to help the BB10 community with such great guides; just wanted to let you and anyone who stumbles on this thread know it doesn't need to be that complex. If you like, you can always PM me or a few others to ask questions directly--I know sometimes it is difficult to know who will be sympathetic to the continued use of BB10.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    07-23-19 04:43 AM
    Wouldn't link stop working by the end of this year?
    07-23-19 11:50 AM
    Not as far as we know.

It is POSSIBLE that the BB10 BBID infrastructure will be put out to pasture at some point after EOL, but nothing has been said about it either way as to the timing.
    WES51 likes this.
    07-23-19 11:55 AM
    Yeah it would require BBID to go down... and there is nothing concrete on that happening at any point.

But of interest.... BlackBerry Link was End of Sales and Development June 1, 2018, but still doesn't have an End of Life date. One would think if LINK were going to be unusable, they'd provide an EOL date.

My guess is they'll only kill BBW at the end of the year, give it some time to weed out users... then provide some further shutdown info for other key services.
    WES51 likes this.
    07-23-19 12:04 PM
    Hey WES,

As has surprisingly been mentioned by others in this thread, the ONLY thing shutting down at the end of this year is Blackberry World. While there have been many prophecies of doom, gloom, and imminent bricking of devices elsewhere on CB, literally the only thing that will not work after 12/31/2019 is Blackberry World. All other services will continue to function, including Link.

Posted via CB10
    WES51 likes this.
    07-23-19 12:35 PM
    Hey WES,

As has surprisingly been mentioned by others in this thread, the ONLY thing shutting down at the end of this year is Blackberry World. While there have been many prophecies of doom, gloom, and imminent bricking of devices elsewhere on CB, literally the only thing that will not work after 12/31/2019 is Blackberry World. All other services will continue to function, including Link.

Posted via CB10
    Not a surprise in the least bit. It has always been stated (certainly by me anyway) that it is not likely to shut down on January 1st. But a prudent person who depends on their device would take precautions so they wouldn't be dependent on BBID in case it does.
    07-23-19 01:00 PM
    I'm already trying to be prudent and running BBID less for the past couple of month. So far so good. Well, other than getting 1x daily BBID reminder and of course having no apps other than preinstalled ones.
    07-23-19 01:05 PM
    I'm already trying to be prudent and running BBID less for the past couple of month. So far so good. Well, other than getting 1x daily BBID reminder and of course having no apps other than preinstalled ones.
    That's smart.

In that case, don't even think about using BlackBerry Link - it requires a BBID to function. Use Ultimate Backup instead.
    07-23-19 01:09 PM
    That's smart.

In that case, don't even think about using BlackBerry Link - it requires a BBID to function. Use Ultimate Backup instead.
    Thanks!

However unfortunately Ultimate Backup needs BBID to be in place too. I bought it and followed their instruction to use the their workaround to download the software, but the workaround only works from Blackberry World.

In other words while you no longer can make any purchases in Blackberry World , Ultimate Backup provided a workaround to download their software, but having Blackberry World was a requirement.

I emailed them and asked if they would provide access after Blackberry World is gone, but have not received any answer.
    07-23-19 01:15 PM
    Thanks!

However unfortunately Ultimate Backup needs BBID to be in place too. I bought it and followed their instruction to use the their workaround to download the software, but the workaround only works from Blackberry World.

In other words while you no longer can make any purchases in Blackberry World , Ultimate Backup provided a workaround to download their software, but having Blackberry World was a requirement.

I emailed them and asked if they would provide access after Blackberry World is gone, but have not received any answer.
    Oh, yes. I see that as a problem.

Of course you can just make sure your email, contacts, and calendar are synced to the cloud (gmail or outlook.com), and keep your documents and media on your SD card (and periodically copy those files over to your laptop for safekeeping.
    07-23-19 01:25 PM
    Yes. That is what I'm doing indeed. Since I'm using only the preinstalled apps, not much needs to be backed up. Well, I miss being able to back up texts and perhaps some other stuff, but at this point, it is no longer a deal breaker.
    07-23-19 01:28 PM
    Yes. That is what I'm doing indeed. Since I'm using only the preinstalled apps, not much needs to be backed up. Well, I miss being able to back up texts and perhaps some other stuff, but at this point, it is no longer a deal breaker.
    Hey WES,

Entirely up to you what you do of course, but again, no need to worry about having BBIDs on your phone and/or downloading native apps from Blackberry World. I'm pretty confident Runisoft will provide the .BAR file for Ultimate Backup, but in any case as long as you have backups that work for you (and are restorable) that is the important thing. If you'd like, you can also map your BB10 device as a network drive and set the cloud storage provider of your choice to backup your files on your SD card automatically, either with our without the use of a Blackberry ID.
    WES51 likes this.
    07-23-19 01:51 PM
    Not a surprise in the least bit. It has always been stated (certainly by me anyway) that it is not likely to shut down on January 1st. But a prudent person who depends on their device would take precautions so they wouldn't be dependent on BBID in case it does.
    You admittedly have been stating that in the past few months--props to you!

As for what's been happening before that, well, I'll just hope that recent CB posts from those previously predicting doom and gloom indicate a turnaround. I'm not quite there yet but the evidence is encouraging.

Having backups is always good, but there is a difference between prudence and assuming something might maybe somehow go down with no evidence to suggest it will from the very manufacturer of the service.

But to end this post on a positive note--conite, we're getting close to saying similar things about how Blackberry 10 will work in the forthcoming year! Wonders truly will never cease, no?
    07-23-19 01:53 PM
    You admittedly have been stating that in the past few months--props to you!

As for what's been happening before that, well, I'll just hope that recent CB posts from those previously predicting doom and gloom indicate a turnaround. I'm not quite there yet but the evidence is encouraging.

Having backups is always good, but there is a difference between prudence and assuming something might maybe somehow go down with no evidence to suggest it will from the very manufacturer of the service.

But to end this post on a positive note--conite, we're getting close to saying similar things about how Blackberry 10 will work in the forthcoming year! Wonders truly will never cease, no?
    I'd never use BlackBerry as example of expectations. BlackBerry isn't really in a strong motivated or financial position to care or spend money fixing anything UNINTENTIONALLY broken or UNFORSEEN breaking.

I've always viewed their service model designed by an industrial or government body multiple person system like 70s conglomerates or DMV office. BlackBerry of BB10 and later seemed to know it needed better consumer interface and support but I don't think it ever had or has the budget. The best example I can think of is BBMe recently. Well intentioned and yet consumer underwhelming...
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-23-19 02:10 PM
    ...Entirely up to you what you do of course, but again, no need to worry about having BBIDs on your phone and/or downloading native apps from Blackberry World...
    Many thanks. One 'problem' that I have with BBID, that when using it, the newer OS (I believe 10.3.2) won't allow Blackberry Protect to be turned off. The newer OS is DESIGNED to automatically keep turning back on Blackberry Protect (I confirmed this from Blackberry Knowledge Base). Having fried once burned one Classic already this way, I'm now twice shy. I have 3x Classics now. One that I'm using, one brand new in a box and the one brand new fried one (for parts).
    07-23-19 02:24 PM
    Many thanks. One 'problem' that I have with BBID, that when using it, the newer OS (I believe 10.3.2) won't allow Blackberry Protect to be turned off. The newer OS is DESIGNED to automatically keep turning back on Blackberry Protect (I confirmed this from Blackberry Knowledge Base). Having fried once burned one Classic already this way, I'm now twice shy. I have 3x Classics now. One that I'm using, one brand new in a box and the one brand new fried one (for parts).
    Actually, the newest OS (10.3.3) does allow Blackberry Protect to be turned off, even without Internet connectivity. If you have the Knowledge Base article I'd be interested in seeing it, but I and others have confirmed that you can turn off BB Protect with no issues.

Sorry to hear about your Classic though. Definitely worth checking via the website if you can before wiping a device, but I've had Protect off without any connection, wiped a device, and set it back up with no trouble--last did it just the other day.

If you'd like to test or troubleshoot this (after making whatever backups needed--safety first!) I'm happy to help....
    07-23-19 02:30 PM
    I'd never use BlackBerry as example of expectations. BlackBerry isn't really in a strong motivated or financial position to care or spend money fixing anything UNINTENTIONALLY broken or UNFORSEEN breaking.

I've always viewed their service model designed by an industrial or government body multiple person system like 70s conglomerates or DMV office. BlackBerry of BB10 and later seemed to know it needed better consumer interface and support but I don't think it ever had or has the budget. The best example I can think of is BBMe recently. Well intentioned and yet consumer underwhelming...
    And yet for an entity that "doesn't have the budget" they just opened up an entire service to new customers not even 60 days ago.

I understand the argument about Blackberry Limited's financial situation, but I think sometimes it is popular to confuse "budget" with "stock price."
    07-23-19 02:32 PM
    Actually, the newest OS (10.3.3) does allow Blackberry Protect to be turned off, even without Internet connectivity. If you have the Knowledge Base article I'd be interested in seeing it...
    Yes, you can turn it off, but it will reliably turn back on it's own after some time. I don't have the article, but I know I read it and it was from Blackberry.
    07-23-19 02:49 PM
    Yes, you can turn it off, but it will reliably turn back on it's own after some time. I don't have the article, but I know I read it and it was from Blackberry.
    Interesting. Did the article mention whether or not Protect seems to turn back on if there's no connection? I'm not sure how that would even be technically possible.

However, I'll run a test just to make sure I'm not missing something regarding reactivation...we'll leave it off for a few days and see what happens.
    07-23-19 03:13 PM
    Interesting. Did the article mention whether or not Protect seems to turn back on if there's no connection? I'm not sure how that would even be technically possible.

However, I'll run a test just to make sure I'm not missing something regarding reactivation...we'll leave it off for a few days and see what happens.
    I've seen it pop back on by itself from time to time in the past, but what triggered it remained a mystery to me.
    07-23-19 03:24 PM
    And yet for an entity that "doesn't have the budget" they just opened up an entire service to new customers not even 60 days ago.

I understand the argument about Blackberry Limited's financial situation, but I think sometimes it is popular to confuse "budget" with "stock price."
    There’s no confusion as there’s no denying the stinginess and tight budgetary constraints. Almost frugal is how I’d describe the situation. The closing of BBW paid apps is good example. It strategically cripples the environment removing the payment function. Another is certain BBAndroid models getting no updates when others do. The only difference is certain updates have been paid for while others haven’t. The incremental expense is minimal yet BB sticks by, the dollar reigns supreme mantra.

I’m totally ok with the mantra. It just reminds me of the old BB when you had to go through your carrier for any BBOS issues or pay some asinine hourly rate for service. The reps were not trained for consumers as the carrier reps would stay on the call like translators.

Chen seems to have returned BB to and earlier time culture where the consumer is someone else’s problem as that’s how licensing should be. That’s a problem when your product has no licensees though.
    07-23-19 05:00 PM
    There’s no confusion as there’s no denying the stinginess and tight budgetary constraints. Almost frugal is how I’d describe the situation. The closing of BBW paid apps is good example. It strategically cripples the environment removing the payment function. Another is certain BBAndroid models getting no updates when others do. The only difference is certain updates have been paid for while others haven’t. The incremental expense is minimal yet BB sticks by, the dollar reigns supreme mantra.

I’m totally ok with the mantra. It just reminds me of the old BB when you had to go through your carrier for any BBOS issues or pay some asinine hourly rate for service. The reps were not trained for consumers as the carrier reps would stay on the call like translators.

Chen seems to have returned BB to and earlier time culture where the consumer is someone else’s problem as that’s how licensing should be. That’s a problem when your product has no licensees though.
    Under that logic, either Emtek told BBL far far in advance (as opposed to a few months) that they'd be abandoning BBM and BBL made the decision (and committed the funds) to operate it for all under a different financial situation than they have now.

Chen is certainly not actively providing support for the mobile OSes and hardware, but to argue that BBL is somehow so pinched for cash they're shutting down everything left and right is not reflected by reality.
    07-23-19 05:41 PM
    Under that logic, either Emtek told BBL far far in advance (as opposed to a few months) that they'd be abandoning BBM and BBL made the decision (and committed the funds) to operate it for all under a different financial situation than they have now.

Chen is certainly not actively providing support for the mobile OSes and hardware, but to argue that BBL is somehow so pinched for cash they're shutting down everything left and right is not reflected by reality.
    Not pinched for cash. Only spending money in bean counters style though.
    07-23-19 06:24 PM
31 12