Hi all

I noticed in File Manager that when you go to device -> misc -> android, it doesn't show all files and folders related to Android. I loaded an Android file manager app called X-plore and it showed more folders. However, there are still some hidden directories because I see empty folders, such as the "db" folder, which I know contains SQL database files. Such files may be lying around even after uninstalling an app.

Anyone use X-plore? There's an option in there for accessing the Root folder as a SuperUser, but your Android device (in our case, BB device) must be rooted.

How do we go about seeing ALL files and folders related to Android on our BB?
    04-06-15 08:04 AM
    Hi all

I noticed in File Manager that when you go to device -> misc -> android, it doesn't show all files and folders related to Android. I loaded an Android file manager app called X-plore and it showed more folders. However, there are still some hidden directories because I see empty folders, such as the "db" folder, which I know contains SQL database files. Such files may be lying around even after uninstalling an app.

Anyone use X-plore? There's an option in there for accessing the Root folder as a SuperUser, but your Android device (in our case, BB device) must be rooted.

Can't be done. Root access is not possible.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.281
    R3d13 likes this.
    04-06-15 08:10 AM
    The only part of the file system you can access directly is the shared folders. If you are using an application with permission to access shared files, then the only other limitation is how the program was written.

Also, don't forget that the directories under android are symbolic links, so anything you do to files in there will have an effect on files outside the "Android" area.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.2708 SR 10.3.1.1865
    R3d13 likes this.
    04-06-15 08:34 AM
    Hi all

You can't because there nothing there.

This is not a full Android OS.

There is no Android root to see.

It is only a runtime that emulates an android OS for the apps to run. There is a lot of the basic access and file structure, but that's it. The BB OS kicks in with hooks when an android app wants access to hardware, like location services, the screen, or the Internet. And android rooting software can't get that deeper access - because it expects something android related... and it's not.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by joeldf; 04-06-15 at 11:24 AM.
    R3d13 likes this.
    04-06-15 08:38 AM
    The only part of the file system you can access directly is the shared folders. If you are using an application with permission to access shared files, then the only other limitation is how the program was written.

Also, don't forget that the directories under android are symbolic links, so anything you do to files in there will have an effect on files outside the "Android" area.

Hi Sorry but would you please explain this some more? What are "shared" Android folders? And what do you mean by "symbolic links" that will have an effect on files outside of the Android area? I've never owned an Android so I can't really compare how the file structure works.
    04-08-15 12:18 AM
    You can't because there nothing there.

This is not a full Android OS.

There is no Android root to see.

It is only a runtime that emulates an android OS for the apps to run. There is a lot of the basic access and file structure, but that's it. The BB OS kicks in with hooks when an android app wants access to hardware, like location services, the screen, or the Internet. And android rooting software can't get that deeper access - because it expects something android related... and it's not.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the explanation. However, where are the database files stored? In an Android, the files with ".db" extensions are stored inside of data/data/appname/db/dbfile.db

The file management app "X-plore" contains a SQL db reader.

Messaging apps, for example, store SQL database files in that directory. However, I couldn't even find "data/data/appname....etc" when I looked. So where are those files hiding and can we get to them at all?
    04-08-15 12:24 AM
    Check out File System in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59950807

This is a very good app

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.281
    04-08-15 12:28 AM
    Hi Sorry but would you please explain this some more? What are "shared" Android folders? And what do you mean by "symbolic links" that will have an effect on files outside of the Android area? I've never owned an Android so I can't really compare how the file structure works.
    The shared folders are those folders that may be made available to all applications. That is typically where music, videos, photos, documents, etc are stored. Data specific to an application is stored in the application working directory. Usually only the application can access the application working directory. This is documented here:

http://developer.blackberry.com/nati...le_system.html

Symbolic links are a way of organising a file system.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link

You should be familiar with the organisation of the BlackBerry 10 file system and the concept of symbolic links before you start messing about with the data.

04-08-15 03:34 AM