Easter as a symbol of BB10 resurrection ? Maybe. Good Friday, holidays, so I spent a few hours playing with my new pet project called OSTR 10 (ostruzina means blackberry in Czech). So guess what? Let's recreate BB10 experience! Initially, I wanted to start almost from scratch - Mer or (K)Ubuntu Touch as a base system, Greenisland as compositor etc. But I have only one life... And it will end almost with no apps in the end with very limited set of target phones.

Ok, let's go back to roots and take a look on how much Android is flexible. As BlackBerry 10 fan, I'm all into QML, no Java! I found QuteLauncher project on GitHub, QML based launcher. Even with full Android SDK/NDK installation, after a few hours I had PoC of BB10-like launcher for Android! It's definitely only proof of concept and very likely it will just die in this state but for me, it makes Android at least somehow usable. And maybe even Priv! Sad BlackBerry decided to kill the whole BB10 spirit in Priv (with exception of Hub and few bits there and there).

Hope for BB10 spirit? Maybe :)-img_20160325_204451.jpg
    3hb78ftg, Uzi and Gallofa like this.
    03-26-16 01:52 PM
    03-26-16 01:59 PM
    At it's most successful, this promises to be another open source project that dies after floundering for several years and producing dozens of half finished, buggy and incomplete modules whilst never coming anywhere near it's stated goal. Maybe an android "skin" or two will come out of it, but they will not be compatible with the latest version of Android. Domains will lead to 404s and there will be github repositories with things like "last commit 3 years ago 'updated to-do list, hopefully Alex will take a look at this'". Anyone who believes that anything other than this will happen is tripping balls. BB10 is BB10. That is all. </rant>

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 02:46 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can still use a gingerbread phone on everything .

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 09:03 PM
    I think this is awesome. Where can I find this on github? I might be able to contribute something to this.
    03-26-16 09:09 PM
    Cool!
    03-26-16 09:57 PM
    At it's most successful, this promises to be another open source project that dies after floundering for several years and producing dozens of half finished, buggy and incomplete modules whilst never coming anywhere near it's stated goal. Maybe an android "skin" or two will come out of it, but they will not be compatible with the latest version of Android. Domains will lead to 404s and there will be github repositories with things like "last commit 3 years ago 'updated to-do list, hopefully Alex will take a look at this'". Anyone who believes that anything other than this will happen is tripping balls. BB10 is BB10. That is all. </rant>

Posted via CB10
    That's the spirit!!!
    03-26-16 11:05 PM
    At it's most successful, this promises to be another open source project that dies after floundering for several years and producing dozens of half finished, buggy and incomplete modules whilst never coming anywhere near it's stated goal.>
    Yeah, I'm aware it will end this way . But one day, I'd have to move on from BB10 as for sure less work is invested into it than my just few hours hack ...
    03-27-16 03:39 AM
    I think this is awesome. Where can I find this on github? I might be able to contribute something to this.
    QuteLauncher is https://github.com/Iktwo/QuteLauncher - so far, the only changes are in the UI/QML part. I know, it would be better to fork some Android launcher but I'm not Java guy. Let me try if I can get it into some state to publish it. It won't be github for sure as it resembles BB10 too much .
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-27-16 03:42 AM