Long time blackberry user, but recently switched to a GS3 because my torch broke. The end call button stopped working, and I was going to "deal with it" until the BB10 came out, but they announced that it wouldn't be out until 2013 so I had to make the jump. I like the GS3 but I miss a lot of the BB features.

ANYWAY,

Like all of you I am waiting to see what comes out when the phone is finally released. If it's amazing, I will go back to it, if not, then oh well. To get to the point here, and as the title says, here is the problem. We know what people want, all of the amazing bb communication features, slick media, and access to the apps that android/iphone users already have. Today I see this article and it makes me want to slap everyone at RIM - RIM developing Blackberry 10 photo filtering suite to rival Instagram | ITProPortal.com.

Bascially, they are making a photo program to rival instagram??? WHY!!??? People don't want a different program. They want the program that ALL OF THEIR PEERS HAVE SO THEY CAN ALL SHARE DUMB LOFI PICTURES OF THE FOOD THAT THEY JUST ATE.

Sorry for yelling, but seeing something like this, to me, just shows that the people at RIM still don't get it. I want them to succeed, I want to move back to blackberry, but they can't just make something to rival an app that is already the most popular one of its kind with the other platforms..

Thoughts?
    robkd likes this.
    07-31-12 02:29 PM
    So BB10 is going to fail because of a photo editing app?

Gotcha
    07-31-12 02:44 PM
    Unsure what your issue is here.... using your logic... I guess we only need a bare bones OS on a device.... does not mean something like Instagram still cannot show up as a stand alone app.... many examples on all platforms where there is a resident photo editor... yet this does not stop anyone from making a better one..... I think a lot of this is for marketing purposes... in today's day and age.... the more bells and whitstles that comes with your new toy ... the better..... remember it was the big knock on the Playbook.... not enought features....
    07-31-12 02:52 PM
    Respectfully, that was one of many poor headlines. Just because something shows on a DEV ALPHA does not mean RIM is trying to compete against Instagram. You must look at Blackberry OS as it stands and how they fair with is against the likes of Win7, iOS and Android. Blackberry has talked a long time about "super apps" and even a superphone. BB10 is their culminated vision of the future of mobile computing. With BB10 rim is trying to sell you a phone that out of the box does it all, without necessarily having to go download an "app". Downloading an app becomes a matter of enhancement to the phone not a "fill in the gap" feature wise which is essentially what iPhone has been pushing to consumers a phone that has many functionality gaps that devs and jailbreak communities seek to fill for consumers. Blackberry 10 will be a product line that outright has the functions and features you want, if not the app as well. I expect the App Store to be very curated at first as it will showcase only "Certified" apps over the general apps. People neglect these companies real efforts. Kindle half released the Fire as a touchscren credit card for amazon but its second purpose was to start building out an app store for future devices, that's what all these companies are really doing laying groundwork for the future. With that said, the "instagram like photo-editor" will just be baked into the whole OS they have TAT to design we're going to get things like this, look at the Scrapbook App on Playbook you'll see an early peak at Cascades and the ease of coding these apps is the real sweet ticket, with much less code they can still create powerful interactive an immersive experiences on mobile. Like the Lord of the Rings, but One phone to rule them all. Blackberry is going to show how it's not about apps, but it's all about what developers can actually do with a given platform.
    Do not ignore the fact that QNX has a DESKTOP level os in house it's just not widely distributed like Microsoft's Windows 7. Back before Windows 1 in 1985, and Apple Lisa in 1983 there was QNX 1 in 1982. It's not only unfair--but foolish to think things like these aren't necessary to sell phones in this day and age, especially when when the competition is doing everything to SNUFF RIM out.
    RIM is not out to rival a mere app like Instagram they are out to rival Samsung and Apple with an OS the--nor the consumer can ignore, an OS built behind the power of BB10 leveraging the architecture that's been embedded by QNX all around the world the past 30 years, and likely into the future, seeing as their ASVS is aboard the International Space Station and used to simulate space for NASA.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    07-31-12 02:58 PM
    It is not just for photo filters, that is something the app also does.
    It is a photo editor just like there will be a video editor (jaycut)
    07-31-12 03:01 PM
    iPhones have photo editing built-in and Instagram is an add-on app. It is a basic feature expected in smartphones now. RIM can't expect companies to make apps for BB10 but they need to make sure that they have base OS features that people expect. Some people won't want Instagram, but will still want to be able to edit photos and apply filters.
    08-01-12 02:08 PM
    I like that RIM is making their own photo editing software. I also hope that Instagram makes a BB10 app or the Android version on BB10. What you are saying OP that people should ONLY use Instagram?
    08-01-12 04:01 PM
    - Headline is misleading. Nothing is being "rivaled" against Instagram.
    - It's NOT a social app.
    - It's a built-in photo editor that includes filters similar that's available on Instagram.
    - They are 3rd party apps that do this already - RIM is making it natively - so what's the problem?
    - RIM can't do anything about Instagram being on their platform. It's up to Instragram (now owned by Facebook) whether they want to support other platforms outside iOS/Android.
    08-03-12 12:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD