Thanks for your assistance.

I have a couple of gigabytes of space being used up by the apps I can't see, I can't see them in Ghost Commander. A bit lost.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, can you post a screenshot of the Storage tab of Device monitor once the data has fully loaded?

If you have access to the Amazon Appstore you should try installing CCleaner and see if the apps show up there (or if cleaning helps).
    11-23-16 10:53 PM
    Interesting, can you post a screenshot of the Storage tab of Device monitor once the data has fully loaded?

If you have access to the Amazon Appstore you should try installing CCleaner and see if the apps show up there (or if cleaning helps).
    I have been using ccleaner to remove unnecessary files occasionally since then.

Here's how To Uninstall Android apps successfully on you BlackBerry 10 device-img_20161124_125532_edit.png

I've summed up the app sizes in the device monitor and they do indeed add up to the reported number as you would hope. What should I expect from a System reading? (I have never factory reset the device since getting it in Jun-Jul 2013). Is 13GB of storage correct for a Z10?

Perhaps I have completely misread the amount of data I actually lost due to other apps amassing large caches, or maybe ccleaner has removed them after all.

I removed / updated a number of large Android apps prior to knowing about the uninstall bug and have only uninstalled one app with Ghost Commander.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-16 07:47 AM
    I have been using ccleaner to remove unnecessary files occasionally since then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161124_125532_edit.png 
Views:	353 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	412859

I've summed up the app sizes in the device monitor and they do indeed add up to the reported number as you would hope. What should I expect from a System reading? (I have never factory reset the device since getting it in Jun-Jul 2013). Is 13GB of storage correct for a Z10?

Perhaps I have completely misread the amount of data I actually lost due to other apps amassing large caches, or maybe ccleaner has removed them after all.

I removed / updated a number of large Android apps prior to knowing about the uninstall bug and have only uninstalled one app with Ghost Commander.

Posted via CB10
    System will be a few gigs but I'm not sure what range is considered "normal". You should take another look at Ghost Commander just in case the applications are listed with different or weird names. Are you noticing any other issues with the Android runtime (high battery or data usage)?

As a fallback you could always try a device reset after backing up your data if possible.
    11-24-16 10:18 AM
    System will be a few gigs but I'm not sure what range is considered "normal". You should take another look at Ghost Commander just in case the applications are listed with different or weird names. Are you noticing any other issues with the Android runtime (high battery or data usage)?

As a fallback you could always try a device reset after backing up your data if possible.
    Thanks I'll take another look around. The only other issue I'm having with the Android runtime is the performance seems to have seriously degraded. Some diagnostic information regarding what's going on while an app is locking up would be highly beneficial.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-16 11:25 AM
    Thanks I'll take another look around. The only other issue I'm having with the Android runtime is the performance seems to have seriously degraded. Some diagnostic information regarding what's going on while an app is locking up would be highly beneficial.

Posted via CB10
    If the Android apps are still on the device and if they have run in background permissions they can definitely cause performance issues.
    11-24-16 05:38 PM
    If the Android apps are still on the device and if they have run in background permissions they can definitely cause performance issues.
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10.
    11-24-16 06:10 PM
    Android apps don't run in the background on BB10.
    Android apps can start a background service if you don't close them properly (you can see this through device monitor from time to time). BB10 does restrict this to some extent with sleep mode IIRC so it's not as efficient as a native background service but it's still possible.
    11-25-16 12:31 AM
    Android apps can start a background service if you don't close them properly (you can see this through device monitor from time to time). BB10 does restrict this to some extent with sleep mode IIRC so it's not as efficient as a native background service but it's still possible.
    They do not run background services either. They "wake up" when you poke them with a task manager.

From the BlackBerry developer page describing the limitations of the BlackBerry Runtime:

"Apps can run services only while the user runs them, either in full screen or in thumbnail mode."
    11-25-16 06:24 AM
    They do not run background services either. They "wake up" when you poke them with a task manager.

From the BlackBerry developer page describing the limitations of the BlackBerry Runtime:

"Apps can run services only while the user runs them, either in full screen or in thumbnail mode."
    I was referring to the native device monitor app. I'm not sure what to make of their documentation, either there's more to it or the runtime has a bug because apps with background permissions (like Amazon, Skype, Deezer, etc) visibly create background services instead of opening the app when they're woken up.
    11-25-16 10:06 AM
    I was referring to the native device monitor app. I'm not sure what to make of their documentation, either there's more to it or the runtime has a bug because apps with background permissions (like Amazon, Skype, Deezer, etc) visibly create background services instead of opening the app when they're woken up.
    Yes. But those services are dormant until you wake them with their respective apps, or a device manager. As Cobalt describes it, the light goes on in the fridge ONLY when you open the door.
    11-25-16 10:19 AM
    Yes. But those services are dormant until you wake them with their respective apps, or a device manager. As Cobalt describes it, the light goes on in the fridge ONLY when you open the door.
    That was my understanding of it as well and admittedly it's hard to test this with any degree of accuracy for the reasons you've mentioned but if you have apps with the background permission installed and only check device monitor at the end of the day there's a good chance the apps have used resources even if you haven't used them. In other words, the user won't have to interact with an app to wake its service.

This doesn't happen when you close an Android app with run in background permissions through device monitor which leads me to believe it's either a bug or this aspect of the runtime isn't very well documented.
    11-25-16 04:37 PM
    That was my understanding of it as well and admittedly it's hard to test this with any degree of accuracy for the reasons you've mentioned but if you have apps with the background permission installed and only check device monitor at the end of the day there's a good chance the apps have used resources even if you haven't used them. In other words, the user won't have to interact with an app to wake its service.

This doesn't happen when you close an Android app with run in background permissions through device monitor which leads me to believe it's either a bug or this aspect of the runtime isn't very well documented.
    The permission is "run when minimised", and describes the behaviour when the app is an active frame - not when it's closed.

If you see a permission called "run in background" then the app has been coded specifically to stay active even when closed - although I've never seen an android app with this toggle.
    11-25-16 05:05 PM
    The permission is "run when minimised", and describes the behaviour when the app is an active frame - not when it's closed.

If you see a permission called "run in background" then the app has been coded specifically to stay active even when closed - although I've never seen an android app with this toggle.
    It's a separate permission for Android apps that isn't controlled via BB10's permission system. I think it might actually be called run at start but you can see which apps have it through CCleaner or Ghost Commander.
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-25-16 05:47 PM
    Do you have any problems on Q10 with battery draining after installed the blackberry android runtime? I had pretty full battery and once I installed it basically killed the battery? I have 10.3.2.278 I think it is.I would really appreciate some feed back of any kind. Is there way to uninstall it? Reviews I read from this year is mixed page,two say makes phone hot and drains battery,others said can't install ask files anymore,and that it ruined android abs. I would really appreciate somekind of Fred back thank you
    03-15-17 10:49 PM
    Do you have any problems on Q10 with battery draining after installed the blackberry android runtime? I had pretty full battery and once I installed it basically killed the battery? I have 10.3.2.278 I think it is.I would really appreciate some feed back of any kind. Is there way to uninstall it? Reviews I read from this year is mixed page,two say makes phone hot and drains battery,others said can't install ask files anymore,and that it ruined android abs. I would really appreciate somekind of Fred back thank you
    03-15-17 10:53 PM

Are we gong to go there again?

Yes they do wake up and whatever they do they cause system lag or interruption. Like I've said before I have media pausing due to certain Android apps or certain number of apps that opened. When this happens I open the app Taskmanager and sure enough the problematic apps have reactivated. I am able to force close them in cobalt's Android Settings and they stay dormant until I use them again.

I have had no issues after using this control method.

Conite is just simply wrong in what he is saying. Whether it's a service, process or just activation of the app using resources, it's is causing lag simply put!

I ran CCleaner and it says there were user processes running. I know that Skype is the only one I can't keep down so I may uninstall it soon.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 419659
    Attachment 419660
    Last edited by The_Passporter; 03-18-17 at 08:09 AM.
    03-18-17 07:16 AM
    What's your OS version (Settings -> About -> OS)?
    03-18-17 04:55 PM
    Are we gong to go there again?

Yes they do wake up and whatever they do they cause system lag or interruption. Like I've said before I have media pausing due to certain Android apps or certain number of apps that opened. When this happens I open the app Taskmanager and sure enough the problematic apps have reactivated. I am able to force close them in cobalt's Android Settings and they stay dormant until I use them again.

I have had no issues after using this control method.

Conite is just simply wrong in what he is saying. Whether it's a service, process or just activation of the app using resources, it's is causing lag simply put!

I ran CCleaner and it says there were user processes running. I know that Skype is the only one I can't keep down so I may uninstall it soon.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 419659
    Attachment 419660
    First, you are quoting my post from November, so "we haven't gone there again".

Second, I was simply providing the information direct from the BlackBerry developer page regarding the Android Runtime, and repeating what Cobalt himself has explained.
    03-18-17 06:00 PM
    First, you are quoting my post from November, so "we haven't gone there again".

Second, I was simply providing the information direct from the BlackBerry developer page regarding the Android Runtime, and repeating what Cobalt himself has explained.
    Ha ha sorry I didn't check the date

Posted via CB10
    03-18-17 06:02 PM
44 12