So, a couple months ago, I got the opportunity to purchase a rare, unreleased Z30: a prototype STA100-1, the model that AT&T would have released had they released one. It’s etched with ‹ Not For Sale › on the front, and the battery says X00 instead of Z30. Safe to say, it’s an oddity.

Once I bought the device, I was informed by the seller, who I believe worked at BlackBerry (or maybe just had friends there) and has far, far more professional tech experience under his belt than I, that there was a bit of a catch. Long story short, the phone is stuck all the way back on release 10.2.1.2977. When he had tried to upgrade the phone to the official 10.3.x, there were apparently some major incompatibilities, manifesting in the phone dropping signal every couple of seconds. I’m not quite sure whether it actually ever attained signal or not, as we didn’t speak on the phone very long about the issue, but whatever it was, it seemed cyclical every few seconds, and made the phone unusable practically.

Then here’s my dilemma: Using 10.2.1 in 2016 sucks, big time. So many features were added between then and now that make my Passport SE a better phone in terms of software. Little things you take for granted like the ability to use two fingers to swipe down quick setting from in an app, and big things like the virtual assistant, which I used to use daily on my SE. And, more than this, app incompatibility is becoming HUGE. Teamviewer and Helium, both of which I NEED for work, don’t run on anything under 10.3.x.

Given the no-going-back that is updating to 10.3.2.680 or later versions, I’m left with the horrendous decision to use my fabulous Z30 forever stuck in 2014, or risk bricking it but possibly giving new life with an update to 10.3.2.

Here’s where you lot come in. I feel pretty comfortable saying that the official OS releases would brick my phone in the way the seller described; there's simply no way he wouldn't have been able to figure out how to do that yet amateur techy me could. But, I’m hoping that someone out there thinks they might know a way of using a hybrid OS to make the cellular radio not fritz out every couple of seconds. I’ve been searching the boards for a couple hours and it seems like this is a pretty regular thing, to create sort of Frankenstein OSes with different firmware from different releases from different devices.

So, without further ado, the question: is anyone familiar enough with the STA100-1 to confidently say that any certain such hybrid OS might bring my Z30 up-to-date, whilst also solving the radio malfunction that the seller encountered? It’s becoming more and more clear with each passing day that it’s not worth the added bands and frequencies of owning the STA100-1 when it means using them on a painfully dated OS release.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
    Last edited by thejackson5; 07-22-16 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    07-22-16 07:16 PM
    Development units are always under question when it comes to using the latest software. It all comes down to the hardware revision of the motherboard in the case of phones. Prototype PCB revisions often include HW resource consolidation, re-arrangement of using physical pins to strap ICs vs. controlling ICs manually, testing out different controllers for various interfaces, etc. Software builds are made in accordance with hardware revisions, and each build is tailored for a particular HW configuration. These SW builds are never released to the public.

When a design has been finalized and optimized for production, the SW builds from there forth are agnostic to the hardware because there will be no further HW changes.

So that being said, it all depends on what HW revision that development unit's PCB is at. If it's not the same as the production revision, there is a high likelihood of new software being incompatible with the older revision hardware.

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    I think you were sold a Dev unit or one from a cell phone carrier.
    So I would just try one of the newer OS , probably the latest. 2888. Give it shot cause if it doesn't work you might be stuck with a lemon.
    07-22-16 08:45 PM
    Development units are always under question when it comes to using the latest software. It all comes down to the hardware revision of the motherboard in the case of phones. Prototype PCB revisions often include HW resource consolidation, re-arrangement of using physical pins to strap ICs vs. controlling ICs manually, testing out different controllers for various interfaces, etc. Software builds are made in accordance with hardware revisions, and each build is tailored for a particular HW configuration. These SW builds are never released to the public.

When a design has been finalized and optimized for production, the SW builds from there forth are agnostic to the hardware because there will be no further HW changes.

So that being said, it all depends on what HW revision that development unit's PCB is at. If it's not the same as the production revision, there is a high likelihood of new software being incompatible with the older revision hardware.

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 08:48 PM

Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    I understood several of these words.

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I get the gist of what you're saying. What would be your recommendation, then? Is trying out newer builds almost hopeless, as the further the builds get from where they were at when this hardware was manufactured, the less likely they'll mesh with it? Or is there hope in getting it up and running on a recent build?
    07-22-16 09:12 PM
    I understood several of these words.

But seriously, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I get the gist of what you're saying. What would be your recommendation, then? Is trying out newer builds almost hopeless, as the further the builds get from where they were at when this hardware was manufactured, the less likely they'll mesh with it? Or is there hope in getting it up and running on a recent build?
    The development unit you have might have older hardware that's incompatible with 10.3 software, and that's why the guy who sold it to you couldn't get it work even though he is good at tech.

I'd rather have functioning hardware than a brick. If updating to 10.3.680 or higher means you don't get to go back to 10.2, consider the risk.

I know you want to see the update, but keep in mind it might be physically impossible if older hardware support is not present in 10.3.x. That's about all I can weigh in as a layman to the topic but making an educated guess as a hw/sw designer.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-16 10:03 PM
    It's certainly not the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate the response!
    07-24-16 02:29 PM
    Sounds like you have several options :

Option 1: Live with it on 10.2.x.

Option 2: Try installing 10.3.2.2888 using autoloader for a clean install. If this bricks the device, then.....

Option 3: Sell it for parts. The display, case, and battery are likely still usable.

Keep us posted.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    07-25-16 06:16 PM
    I like 10.2.1. I'd buy it if you don't update it.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-16 12:11 AM

Keep us posted.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    I think what I'm going to do is install the latest build that still lets one revert to 10.2.1. That way, if it does work, I'll have many of the updates that came with that build, along with greatly improved app compatibility… and if it doesn't, I can still factory reset back down to it working again.

I have a MacBook (USB-C only), but I'll try to get my hands on a friend's PC and see if I can make it work.
    08-01-16 06:47 PM
    That sounds like a total win-win situation. I'll be happy for ya if 10.3 works.

Let us know how it goes!

By the way, they make USB-C to USB micro-B cables. Monoprice is a very trusted name in cables. Get yourself one of these:

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/13015

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 09:53 PM