Some background information:

I currently have a 9780. Before that a curve. BB has always been supported by our company. I love BB and am getting a Q10 as soon as it's released in the US. I will not give up my keyboard nor switch to Apple or Android.

I have been proactively working with our IT guys to make sure BB10 is supported. Our company wants every phone to use MobileIron. From what I understand MobileIron supports BlackBerry 10:

BlackBerry Management | MobileIron

However, here is the latest I've received from our IT department:

"Statement from our Mobileiron Representative: We have ActiveSync management only...BB has not released any additional capabilities to 3rd party vendors as of yet...

This simply states that you can plug in just like you do for BES, it hooks to the BES back end infrastructure to pass along central management. It doesn't actively manage a device. There is no mobileiron client for BB10, they are not releasing those APIs. They are building their own MDM solution, Blackberry Fusion."

I don't know enough about Mobile Iron, BES, etc to understand what this means. Can you help me understand it? Are my IT guys correct that Mobile Iron won't work properly for BB10?

Please help me understand so I can try and convince them to support BB10.

Thank you.
    05-13-13 09:02 AM
    When I read the MobileIron link above it sounds like BB10 is supported just like the other two platforms. I don't see what the problem is? They are not going to take advantage of Balance--which is in my opinion the greatest part of using BB10 in the enterprise. However, the way it appears MobileIron works, it is just an app on the BB10 device like it is on Android and iOS. If you want to removed enterprise data, just delete the app.

I don't see why IT would have any concern with supporting BB10 as it just looks like any other mobile device in the MobileIron console.
    05-13-13 09:59 AM
    Come on guys, no one else has help here or insight? My company is 30,000 employees strong so if we all love BB we need to come up with some points, or help me with some facts as it relates to MobileIron so I can keep working on our IT department!

TYIA,
    05-14-13 12:26 PM
    Come on guys, no one else has help here or insight? My company is 30,000 employees strong so if we all love BB we need to come up with some points, or help me with some facts as it relates to MobileIron so I can keep working on our IT department!

TYIA,
    If your company has the older BB devices, then chances are they have an older BES server. Is that true? If so push them to take a look at the BES 10.1 server because the old BB CALs will transfer over and the server software is free. I.E. There is no reason not to upgrade the BES (it runs in tandem to be clear, the only upgrade is when people buy a new device and switch BESs).

Then once they have BES 10.1 in house, they should compare it's iOS/Android device management to MobileIron and make the determination if MobileIron is still needed/wanted.

Otherwise I can't help you sell your BB 10 device to your IT folks if they can't get anything other than very basic ActiveSync control over it. As a messaging team lead myself I wouldn't want to deal with a situation like that when I have other devices I can lock down.
    05-14-13 08:33 PM
    Why we love bb10.

Two phones in one device. We (corp) control what is on the work portion and the user can do whatever they won't on the personal side.

Bes 10 with blackberry drives allows all our users to connect to internal file shares and their my documents without the need for vpn anything else while ensuring Communications are secure and compressed.

Support for rpd through the mds connection in bes 10. We can rdp into servers or desktops without setting up anything

Mobile policy management is easy and seamless while allowing activesync through a secure link. No inbound ports required to be open as the bes server makes an outbound connection to the Blackberry NOC.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:08 PM
    If your company has the older BB devices, then chances are they have an older BES server. Is that true? If so push them to take a look at the BES 10.1 server because the old BB CALs will transfer over and the server software is free. I.E. There is no reason not to upgrade the BES (it runs in tandem to be clear, the only upgrade is when people buy a new device and switch BESs).

Then once they have BES 10.1 in house, they should compare it's iOS/Android device management to MobileIron and make the determination if MobileIron is still needed/wanted.

Otherwise I can't help you sell your BB 10 device to your IT folks if they can't get anything other than very basic ActiveSync control over it. As a messaging team lead myself I wouldn't want to deal with a situation like that when I have other devices I can lock down.
    Yes, we have older BB devices and we currently have BES server. I was told the older BB devices would be supported for another 2 years.

So, it would be free for them to upgrade the current BES server to BES 10? Would they still use MobileIron to manage my phone, or would they need to buy a license for BlackBerry Fusion?
    05-15-13 08:23 AM
    Yes, we have older BB devices and we currently have BES server. I was told the older BB devices would be supported for another 2 years.

So, it would be free for them to upgrade the current BES server to BES 10? Would they still use MobileIron to manage my phone, or would they need to buy a license for BlackBerry Fusion?
    This is where you are going to need to do a little research because I don't know your situation 100%. Here is one place to start:
    https://enterprise.ecomm.webapps.bla...radeup/home.do

However I can tell you that if you have a BES 5 device now, your are supposed to be able to trade that CAL in for a BES 10 device CAL, and the BES 10 server software is free. So while there is a cost with deploying any new server, the cost should be next to nothing using their swap out program.

As to your last question, you would MobileIron >OR< BES 10 to manage your device, not both. My recommendation is BB 10 devices should be managed by BES 10, but that's a recommendation only as I don't know your environment and reasons behind decisions there.
    05-15-13 08:57 AM
    This is where you are going to need to do a little research because I don't know your situation 100%. Here is one place to start:
    https://enterprise.ecomm.webapps.bla...radeup/home.do

However I can tell you that if you have a BES 5 device now, your are supposed to be able to trade that CAL in for a BES 10 device CAL, and the BES 10 server software is free. So while there is a cost with deploying any new server, the cost should be next to nothing using their swap out program.

As to your last question, you would MobileIron >OR< BES 10 to manage your device, not both. My recommendation is BB 10 devices should be managed by BES 10, but that's a recommendation only as I don't know your environment and reasons behind decisions there.
    This is helpful, thank you.

I believe the path of lease resistance will be MobileIron. While I agree that BES10 would be better, MobileIron is already very widely used as most of the employees are on Android or iOS. If I can simply tell my people, - "hey, MobileIron works for BlackBerry too" I will probably have greater success than getting them to upgrade and deploy a BES10 server.

I will also send them your link to see if I can trade up my CAL to BES10.

Thanks!
    05-15-13 10:07 AM
    What did you end up doing?

Charterhouse Voice and Data are partnered with both Mobile Iron and Blackberry and act as strategic UK partners

We help enterprise customers with end-to-end mobility management across multiple OS environments

We have successfully installed BES10.1 both as EMM regulated and Secure Workspace (which came about after your post) for a number of our clients. Some of which use this exclusively with iOS an Android as a fully compliant and secure MDM platform

Recent press has hit Blackberry hard but it's worth remembering their heritage in the corporate space whilst they shed customers in consumer with recent devices not being up to scratch

BES 10.1 is a fantastic product

Feel free to get in touch with us if you'd like a demonstration

[email protected]
    10-10-13 03:54 AM