It's been a while since I put it in.

Can someone remind me how to put in google maps?

Did I have to patch it?
    10-06-19 10:42 AM
    Why not just open google maps in your browser? Works perfect for my passport

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    10-06-19 11:19 AM
    Google maps does not need to be patched - unless you want to save places, then you have to deal with the Play Services issue. Cobalt's patched Play Services is too old to work properly now, but someone else may chime in if it can work around that.

I've actually got an old Google Maps version 6 (.3 or .4, forget which) on my Z10. I find that one to be fairly smooth, and it was the last time Maps could go into a readable navigation mode without having to input a destination first.

The current Maps can go into navigation mode too, changing to a tilted 3d view, but the display of roads, text and traffic stay really small and unreadable from a distance. Much different from when it has a destination to map out, which is the only time it increases the size of everything. And, on my Z10, that mode never really worked well.
    10-06-19 11:25 AM
    Second trying out an older version like 6.4.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-19 01:48 PM
    Yep, it is 6.4.

Although, when I try to go to Settings in the app, it crashes every time. Not all that important to me, but would be nice if it didn't do that.
    10-06-19 07:12 PM
    I use SYGIC maps. It's a bit pricey and you have to pay extra for World Traffic but it is an option and you can have it installed on up to 3 devices. I like it and works fairly well. Try the 14 day trial and see if it works for you.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    10-06-19 09:10 PM
    Just curious, is there anything wrong with the BB10 built in Maps app?

10-06-19 09:38 PM
    Just curious, is there anything wrong with the BB10 built in Maps app?

There absolutely is not Passporter. There is some anecdotal evidence of maps not updating in some places in Canada but I'm checking into it. I've had no trouble with USA-based maps.
    10-07-19 06:10 PM
    It's been a while since I put it in.

Can someone remind me how to put in google maps?

Did I have to patch it?
    Hey wiz,

Do you need the actual Android Google Maps app? There are some third-party native apps that wrap the web interface that work well.
    10-07-19 06:10 PM
    There absolutely is not Passporter. There is some anecdotal evidence of maps not updating in some places in Canada but I'm checking into it. I've had no trouble with USA-based maps.
    BlackBerry Maps has not updated several neighborhoods in and around Baton Rouge LA, that have popped up in the last two years. Google has them within 1 to 6 months of the road getting built with the lots still just dirt mounds.

Now, our Garmin in my wife's car is also missing many of those same roads, so I blame that on the mapping source in both cases. Google used to use one of those outside sources, but they've gone mostly independent in recent years.

Plus, BlackBerry Maps can't do that tilted navigation view without having a destination to track first, and I just never liked that. It will follow you, but it stays in overhead map view.
    10-08-19 08:32 AM
    Just want to add that the older Google Maps is also lighter on the system, and more responsive. Newer versions were dogs on my Z10. The Passport can probably handle it better, of course, but that was just my experience.
    10-08-19 09:18 AM
    Using android Google Maps app ver 9.3.0 on my Passport and everything seems fine, including voice turn-by-turn navigation and online traffic info. Also no extreme battery drain issues. No patching needed, just download .apk and install.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MeMeCe; 10-08-19 at 02:36 PM.
    10-08-19 02:14 PM
    Using android Google Maps app ver 9.3.0 on my Passport and everything seems fine, including voice turn-by-turn navigation and online traffic info. Also no extreme battery drain issues. No patching needed, just download .apk and install.

Posted via CB10
    You can go as far as v9.64.1.
    10-08-19 02:48 PM
    BlackBerry Maps has not updated several neighborhoods in and around Baton Rouge LA, that have popped up in the last two years. Google has them within 1 to 6 months of the road getting built with the lots still just dirt mounds.

Now, our Garmin in my wife's car is also missing many of those same roads, so I blame that on the mapping source in both cases. Google used to use one of those outside sources, but they've gone mostly independent in recent years.

Plus, BlackBerry Maps can't do that tilted navigation view without having a destination to track first, and I just never liked that. It will follow you, but it stays in overhead map view.
    Hmmm, interesting. That likely is the maps but then the question is whether some form of updating can be done. I'll put this on my BB10 list...
    10-08-19 05:02 PM
    Hmmm, interesting. That likely is the maps but then the question is whether some form of updating can be done. I'll put this on my BB10 list...
    You can try, but if BB Maps still gets their mapping info from TomTom - that's TeleAtlas (based in the Netherlands), and it's only going to be as current as TeleAtlas is. I'm pretty sure BB Maps downloads and updates in the background as needed.

I just updated our Garmin a couple of weeks ago (it's an older standalone model that does need manual updating), and their mapping source is Navteq (which is U.S. based), and they still don't have those missing subdivisions. There's one in particular I look for that is several miles from my house, just to see if it will ever pop up. It was a subdivision we were going to buy into at the beginning of the year, but we chose another house. When we drove there several times during our house-hunting time, our Garmin had us driving in the middle of a blank spot on the map. It's still a blank spot after the last update.
    10-08-19 05:31 PM
    You can try, but if BB Maps still gets their mapping info from TomTom - that's TeleAtlas (based in the Netherlands), and it's only going to be as current as TeleAtlas is. I'm pretty sure BB Maps downloads and updates in the background as needed.

I just updated our Garmin a couple of weeks ago (it's an older standalone model that does need manual updating), and their mapping source is Navteq (which is U.S. based), and they still don't have those missing subdivisions. There's one in particular I look for that is several miles from my house, just to see if it will ever pop up. It was a subdivision we were going to buy into at the beginning of the year, but we chose another house. When we drove there several times during our house-hunting time, our Garmin had us driving in the middle of a blank spot on the map. It's still a blank spot after the last update.
    Joel, would you mind providing a highway or address (not your house or anywhere near it of course, just something that falls into the Louisiana area which appears to not be updating)? I'd like to use it as a test case during my investigations...
    10-08-19 05:35 PM
    Joel, would you mind providing a highway or address (not your house or anywhere near it of course, just something that falls into the Louisiana area which appears to not be updating)? I'd like to use it as a test case during my investigations...
    Well, my house wouldn't help anyway, because my street is on BB Maps. I'll try to disguise an address that won't get picked up by some automatic extractor or something. But it is a random real house on Zillow in that subdivision. Golden Eagle Drive, in Prairieville with a number of 17526.
    10-08-19 05:57 PM
    As I stated in another thread, I have proof that BB Maps is NOT updating in my area of Canada.
    10-08-19 06:58 PM
    As I stated in another thread, I have proof that BB Maps is NOT updating in my area of Canada.
    Correct, you did. I acknowledged that in my earlier post.
    10-08-19 07:01 PM
    When new roads and subdivisions are not updated to the three of the biggest maps providers, who's responsible?
    I was assuming that the town or cities have not made the final touches to their records delaying them for release for public mapping.

Anyone have insight in this department?

10-12-19 08:32 PM
    When new roads and subdivisions are not updated to the three of the biggest maps providers, who's responsible?
    I was assuming that the town or cities have not made the final touches to their records delaying them for release for public mapping.

Anyone have insight in this department?

RCMP - Royal Canadian Map Police... Duh....
    10-12-19 08:38 PM
    Any UK users watching this thread? My experience is that BB Maps does not update at all, _ever_: e.g. the new Queensferry Crossing at Edinburgh still not showing up. Whether scrolling the map or actually driving the journey. Damn, because in some respects BB Maps is preferable to Google Maps.
    (And, yes, I confirm Google Maps 9.64.1 works just fine on my Z10, though I take care to check it's #964100124; can't remember why.)

Posted via CB10
    10-13-19 12:37 AM
    RCMP - Royal Canadian Map Police... Duh....
    Not sure I understand your answer or my question wasn't clear....
    I'm not understanding how all the map information is collected by these big companies. When a 3 year old street and school have no been updated is it dependent on users to report it or does the mapping company request new data from a source (city)?
    Or perhaps by satellite and measurement formulas ?
    10-13-19 09:34 AM
    Not sure I understand your answer or my question wasn't clear....
    I'm not understanding how all the map information is collected by these big companies. When a 3 year old street and school have no been updated is it dependent on users to report it or does the mapping company request new data from a source (city)?
    Or perhaps by satellite and measurement formulas ?
    I was just playing on Canadian acronym with my friend Captain Morgan’s help. I have no idea about map updates actually. I’ve always considered it magic...
    10-13-19 09:36 AM
    I was just playing on Canadian acronym with my friend Captain Morgan’s help. I have no idea about map updates actually. I’ve always considered it magic...
    The captain is a good man but I prefer to surround myself with a higher class of Royalty. I am having the Crown Royal (Black) over tonight
    10-13-19 09:53 AM
32 12