Ok, I've seen this discussed A LOT, and there seem to be mixed answers.

I bought my Passport directly from blackberry and I am using it on at&t. My question is with updates. Being a factory unlocked phone, not bought from or specifically for any carrier, will I get updates sooner than when at&t decides I should get them? They are notorious for waiting for forever and a day to release updates.

When I unboxed my Passport, before the AT&T sim was anywhere near the phone, it updated over wifi.

I've read here that all you need to do with a direct from BlackBerry device is remove whatever sim you have and check for updates, and if it's been released for your phone model by BlackBerry, you should get it.

I've also read that the moment you insert a sim, the phone is from then on "branded" with that carrier and no longer an emancipated device, and you have to wait for the carrier to push the updates.

I don't know if the latter is true though. Because with the sim inserted, restarting the phone shows the at&t logo on start up and shutdown. Without the sim, it just shows "BlackBerry". Without the sim, all carrier paraphernalia disappears. My old at&t Z10 showed the carrier logo regardless of the sim being inserted.

So what's the verdict on this?

P.S., I'm not specifically referring to the 10.3.1 update, just updates in general. So let's not turn this into a B**chfest about not having that yet. God knows there are enough of those threads on here lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-15 10:10 AM
    You're searching for a definitive answer that doesn't exist.

I've read here that all you need to do with a direct from BlackBerry device is remove whatever sim you have and check for updates, and if it's been released for your phone model by BlackBerry, you should get it.
    There's a *good chance* you will.

I've also read that the moment you insert a sim, the phone is from then on "branded" with that carrier and no longer an emancipated device, and you have to wait for the carrier to push the updates.
    Sometimes they get, for lack of a better term, stuck in the system and won't change to the different carrier in terms of updates.

So what's the verdict on this?
    It's a shot in the dark and there is no right or wrong answer. Long story short... save yourself some worry, sanity and pondering just learn how to use Sachesi.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-15-15 10:29 AM