09-20-13 03:37 AM
102 ... 2345
tools
    I backed up and never realised that it doesn't do a back up of sms. This is not on and people preaching about spending money to have something back up sms are on a different planet, I've backed up every time before an official update and never had this problem, so why is this time different?

Didn't BlackBerry just fire a load of testers?? Bad move, clearly.

Posted via cb10 on my gorgeous white Z10
    BlackBerry Link has always backup ed my texts, make sure you click to do a full backup

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.810
    07-31-13 04:42 PM
    No you don't look for SMS backup in app world pay the 0.99 and quit your whining, use your head people if something is important protect it! Do you have insurance on your house? Yes why? Because it's important!

I feel bad that people lost info, but every time you do this there is a risk so backup your important files!!!

As well it seems to me that this issue didn't exist when this update came out as a leak, granted it was a smaller sample group that would have actually installed it, but there was no issue when updating using the PC method, this issue seems to arise with the OTA method, something also to consider is if you have saved all these important texts, from the beginning of time that us a large amount of data, perhaps a backup and archive is a better idea?

I know ow there is issues with SMS when you have too many on your phone it slows the app down completely, perhaps the people who are having issues had huge SMS databases? Don't know perhaps some could chime in about how many texts they had saved

And remember don't get pissed at blackberry because you didn't protect your personal data and important information. The app is for texting to other smartphones there is nothing about the app nor does blackberry guarantee the data will be safe being stored on your phone or will still be there after a software update.

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Whining? You cheeky tw*t. I was just explaining that Link would not help with this epic fail of an update. I'm fed up of the abusers on this forum who really bring the place down for the rest of the decent souls here.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-13 05:05 PM
    It should, they should try to wipe, and reload the OS and then restore if they have a backup

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.810
    I have already done this, still jack

I don't drink anymore........ or any less, double scotch please
    07-31-13 05:42 PM
    I updated through Rogers to the .4181 and lost my text history as well as all pictures/videos, my passwords also had to be inputted again... my music files and everything else is fine. :/ Hopefully they come back as others have said, because I'm pretty disappointed about the loss of pictures/videos. I've never lost information from updating software before, so I didn't even think about backing up everything prior to the update.
    07-31-13 05:43 PM
    When people say BB doesn't have apps, some guy pops up to say it's a phone, it exists just to phone and text.
    Now it can't even hold onto your texts.

There's no excuse for this, to release an update that deletes your entire text history is a joke.

Link is the worst phone desktop companion app ever released.
    Asking someone to buy a paid app to back up their texts is a joke.

All in all, this is annoying for me, potentially serious for others, and just an embarrassment overall.
    MaxFresh, sonic_reducer and sanjk1 like this.
    07-31-13 06:24 PM
    I did and I lost my sms. So clearly it doesn't.

Posted via cb10 on my gorgeous white Z10
    07-31-13 06:28 PM
    Link doesn't backup texts so you need to be a techy to know how to preserve them.

Wrong.

Link certainly does backup SMS messages. The problem with this update is that apparently BlackBerry changed the locations of some of the internal databases in the OS, and because of the way the update works, it got confused and didn't restore the SMS messages because the database was moved.

If that is in fact what is going on, the good news is that there should be a way to write a routine which will take the previously backed-up SMS messages from the Blackberry Link backup file, and restore them to the new OS.

It's also conceivable that for at least some people the old SMS db is still on the device, since the OTA update, AFAIK, does not wipe the device during the update.

I'm still doing fact-finding on this.

FWIW: BlackBerry has officially acknowledged the issue, but they are still investigating it. Knowledgebase article:

KB34819-After upgrading to BlackBerry OS 10.1.0.4633 all SMS and MMS messages are lost
    08-01-13 11:06 AM
    I'm also trying to compile a table of what OS versions people had prior to the update, for people who lost SMS, to see if there are any patterns.

I would appreciate contributions to that thread/chart:

SMS history gone after update to 10.1 MR (Post 191 / object 8925987)
    08-01-13 11:11 AM
    I think we can agree maybe on the phrase "Link is supposed to make a copy of the Z10 text messages", with supposed being the operative word.

As for a back-up, come on @Omni we both know that a copy of something is not a backup. Link does not allow anyone to interrogate the back-up text message object or data, except through the techy backdoors, therefore you do need to be a techy to see if Link has actually made a copy of your text message data.

More importantly Link does not allow multiple back-ups, just one copy at a time, and it seems to forget where it puts some of it too. Real back-up allows you to make a duplicate target object of your source data, which is hash checked and integrity verified at the end of the duplication process and also facilitates an automatic date/time stamp on the target duplicate for software/database version management and archiving purposes.

Be honest @Omni, Link doesn't get anywhere near this standard, in fact it loses entire elements of copied data such as the SMS message file, and at best can be described as a syncing application; it is not a back-up application by any definition of professional back-up software.

I would like to see a proper back-up system for the Z10, which supports multiple time stamped target data duplicates, that are integrity verified and can be archived into encrypted containers/volumes etc for off-site storage, as part of wider contingency planning and disaster recovery plans. These devices are not owned in isolation.

So let's call Link what it is, a sync solution for home users, which doesn't quite cut the mustard at doing that either.
    08-01-13 12:03 PM
    Blackberry protect needs to be back like it used to!!

A semi cloud based kinda backup solution!!

Please return this service to bb10

Crackberry Q10 / Playbook
    08-01-13 01:20 PM
    I tried using link prior to my update but it's one of the most frustrating pieces of software I've ever used and i gave up.

Thought I'd be safe as no leaks etc.

Wrong.

Ah well. At least I've got the ability to gesture between my messages now. Totally makes up for halving my battery life, which was previously exceptional, loss of dark theme in calendar, loss of all text messages and what appears to be an even more crippled skype.

This is a truly awful update.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 01:20 PM
    I think we can agree maybe on the phrase "Link is supposed to make a copy of the Z10 text messages", with supposed being the operative word.

As for a back-up, come on @Omni we both know that a copy of something is not a backup. Link does not allow anyone to interrogate the back-up text message object or data, except through the techy backdoors, therefore you do need to be a techy to see if Link has actually made a copy of your text message data.

You're still trying to twist a mistaken claim of yours into an incredibly convoluted pile of sophistry, apparently in a failed attempt to save face.

Link definitely backs up the data and restores it, I've used it to do both myself.

The issue here is a flaw in how well or reliably that works, and on that point I agree that Link is a flawed tool with reliability issues and omissions of important functionality.

More importantly Link does not allow multiple back-ups, just one copy at a time, and it seems to forget where it puts some of it too.

I have many BB Link backups, it certainly does allow multiple backups.

There was a bug where it was overwriting previous backups without warning if you didn't manually ensure the backup filename was unique, but AFAIK that was fixed in the latest versions.

Real back-up allows you to make a duplicate target object of your source data, which is hash checked and integrity verified at the end of the duplication process and also facilitates an automatic date/time stamp on the target duplicate for software/database version management and archiving purposes.

While those features are nice to have, I honestly don't know of any universal definition of "backup" that precludes using such a term unless those features are included.

Backup - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

3. a copy of computer data (as a file or the contents of a hard drive); also : the act or an instance of making a backup

In short: if you make a copy of computer data, you have made a backup.

Be honest @Omni, Link doesn't get anywhere near this standard, in fact it loses entire elements of copied data such as the SMS message file, and at best can be described as a syncing application; it is not a back-up application by any definition of professional back-up software.

Be honest, you made an exaggerated claim and refuse to cop to it.

Please show me some place where this supposedly universal definition of "backup" you claim exists. Even add that term "professional" to it if you want. I look forward to your findings.

Re: the SMS issue, from all indications that is actually not a BB Link issue but a BB10 OS issue that was not properly handled.

I would like to see a proper back-up system for the Z10, which supports multiple time stamped target data duplicates, that are integrity verified and can be archived into encrypted containers/volumes etc for off-site storage...

As would I. In the meantime, as is generally the case with most consumer products I have owned, I solve problems on my own by undertaking highly complex tasks such as including date/time info in backup filenames and keeping my own copies.
    habs_fan likes this.
    08-01-13 08:04 PM
    Owned by Omni :P

Add me to your table Omnitech, let's hope for a solution soon.
    08-05-13 11:44 PM
    I tried using link prior to my update but it's one of the most frustrating pieces of software I've ever used and i gave up.

Thought I'd be safe as no leaks etc.

Wrong.

Ah well. At least I've got the ability to gesture between my messages now. Totally makes up for halving my battery life, which was previously exceptional, loss of dark theme in calendar, loss of all text messages and what appears to be an even more crippled skype.

This is a truly awful update.

Posted via CB10
    Grumpy much...

From the Zed of Rockivy
    08-06-13 01:46 AM
    Grumpy much...

From the Zed of Rockivy
    Very. Gritted my teeth to tell Clewley in a very calm manner dropping the dark theme was a mistake without offering an option, only to be told he had feedback the white theme was better, and he preferred it.
    It's like they're trying to **** people off.
    08-06-13 06:16 AM
    Very. Gritted my teeth to tell Clewley in a very calm manner dropping the dark theme was a mistake without offering an option, only to be told he had feedback the white theme was better, and he preferred it.
    It's like they're trying to **** people off.

I agree that they should have given users the option for which theme they want.

It's clear that Heins & Co think that they should "simplify" the UI of BB10 in order to compete with platforms like iOS. And while I think there's some value to that concept, their idea of "simplification" is over-simplified.

Case in point: places all over the OS where a long text string of some sort (often critical information you need to know - like a company name in Contacts or a subject line in email) is "faded out" at the end of a short visible area, with no way to view the "faded out" section. Why some Einstein thought that this somehow "fixes" the fact that the OS is basically hiding critical data from the user with no way to retrieve it, is beyond me.
    08-06-13 02:54 PM
    Here is a procedure I just posted in another thread. Complicated and dependent on having a previous backup, but hopefully will work for some people.

The following is a time-consuming hassle but it is the only way I can think of right now that might help people who lost very critical SMS messages after this update. (This process assumes that you had used BlackBerry Link to create a backup prior to doing the MR OS update, and that you know which OS version was previously installed on the device):

1. Make sure you have the latest version of BlackBerry Link installed on your desktop computer. (Windows: 1.1.1.32, Mac: 1.1.1.13)
    2. Turn off the device radio by using the "airplane mode" setting to prevent incoming calls/messages from disrupting the backup/restore process.
    3. Do a full backup of the device in its current state using BlackBerry Link, make sure to MANUALLY RENAME the backup file (an option in Link before running backup) to make it clear which OS version that update was taken from. (ie "Z10_OS-10-1-0-4633_2013-08-06_01")
    4. Make sure the previous backup completed with no errors. Do a second backup for safety. If you have a lot of photos/music/videos on the device, you can exclude backup of "media files" to shorten the backup, but I would only do this if the backup process is taking an excessively long time. Once again use the manual naming feature in Link to name the file so it is easy to distinguish from your other backup files.
    5. If you want to be extra safe, make a second copy of all your Link backup files somewhere else. (These are the files that end in ".bbb".)
    6. Use BlackBerry Link to revert to prior OS. This is under Settings (gear icon), "Reload Device Software". BE CAREFUL ABOUT VERSIONS, make sure the version it reverts to is what you had just before the MR update! (I need to research if BlackBerry Link actually provides this info prior to wiping the device. If in doubt - DO NOT continue here.)
    7. Once the device is running on the original OS, restore the backup you made with BlackBerry Link BEFORE the MR update. (If you had a lot of photos/videos/music on the device, there is no need to select to restore "media files" at this point, this will shorten the restore process considerably.)
    8. Verify SMS messages are now visible / present on device
    9. Install the SMS Backup app from Epic Windmill on the device using BlackBerry World. ($1.99 US)
    10. Use SMS Backup to backup your texts. MAKE SURE TO SELECT A LOCATION ON YOUR MEMORY CARD TO BACKUP TO. You do not want to back them up to device memory, or the backup may get lost in subsequent updates.
    11. Verify the SMS backup completed successfully. Use file manager to navigate to the backup location on the SD card to verify the backup file is present.
    12. OPTIONAL: Delete all SMS messages from device. This may not be necessary, but may reduce the chances of update problems and minimize the likelihood of getting duplicate messages when restoring SMS messages later.
    13. Use BlackBerry Link to update the OS on the device to 10.1 MR version again. DO NOT attempt to restart the device during the update unless the update stalls at "100%" for more than an hour. DO NOT restart the device more than once in this way.
    14. Once the OS is updated and running normally, use BlackBerry Link to restore your backup made AFTER the first MR update to the device. Restore ALL items in the backup. (OPTIONAL: If you have a large amount of media files, you can skip this for now and do that in a separate restore session.)
    15. Once the device is running properly after the restore, re-install SMS Backup on the device (it may have been wiped during update/restore, but will be available in BlackBerry World to install without having to pay again.)
    16. Using SMS Backup restore function, navigate to the location on the SD card where you previously saved your SMS backup, and restore.
    17. Check to see if messages are now present.
    08-06-13 02:59 PM
    Rogers. Txt msgs wiped out. What a joke. this never happened with is updates. Does anyone at blackberry try updating their own phones before they release this sh!t??

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 11:08 PM
    4181 MR update is causing all sorts of problems esp with HUB and Email accounts. Battery life reduced, and CPU constantly very warm.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 12:25 AM
    Battery use bad, dropping 25-30% an hour!!!! CPU 8-10 degrees hotter, at idle it's 40C!!!!, while charging is still loosing battery, and that is with a playbook charger that puts out a solid 4.5 watts!!! It can barely keep on the positive side I have tried the security wipe trick no luck, not the best implementation is it. I have a second Zed running the 10.2.0.1047 nd it last a full long day not as many apps but still better idle temps and consumption over 4181

From the Zed of Rockivy
    08-07-13 12:31 AM
    As has been stated elsewhere many times, it is common for a newly-updated BB10 device to run hot and have high battery usage for a while after an OS upgrade. Mine took 3 days to return to nominal power usage.
    08-07-13 12:48 AM
    How about this for a procedure: blackberry tests OS updates before issuing them for download. Way to make the lives of all your users even more miserable blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 01:38 AM
    Mine was the opposite on the battery life, from maximum 10, regularly 7-8 hours to about 22 hours after upgrade in the first day, 2nd day so far it's been 14 hours and drained to 20%. Most of the time is cooler for me from the old official OS, so pretty happy. No other problems other than the texts.
    08-07-13 11:09 AM
    I lost all my text messages too, but luckily I just got the phone a little over a month ago and didn't lose too many important ones. I was previously running 10.1.0.2019 from AT&T, but I have an unlocked STL100-3 device. I backed up my phone prior to updating, so I can get them back if I desperately need them; I'm just loving the new easy unlock feature too much to go back.
    08-09-13 03:09 PM
    I guess blackberry doesn't do internal test roll out before sending it to the carriers an by the looks of it neither does the carrier.Before pushing down the pipeline to the users.
    08-10-13 12:36 AM
102 ... 2345